GOP Adds One More Senator to its Majority

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In case you missed it, Alaska has finished counting the votes. The GOP got another seat. This only leaves Louisiana's runoff election. This gives the GOP an 8 seat pick up. In case anyone has lost count. Where did the election train go off the tracks? I can tell you were it derailed. Right here:

The American voters were not with those policies. Yet, he still doesn't get the message. The best thing for the Republican Party is for Barack Obama to keep talking.

GOP adds another Senate seat as Sullivan wins Alaska

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

disagree, sometimes things are as simple as this
    [​IMG]

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

OH NO!!! Obama so bad. :eek:
    Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

When an actual majority of voters decide, by historic margins, to elect - and then re-elect - Barack Obama, Republicans start bleating about "voter fraud".

But when the smallest turnout in seventy years turns over a few Senators who were too cowardly to run on their successful record - then its the voice of God speaking.

Unemployment has fallen by half in the past six years. Deficits are falling even faster. The stock market is up 270% in Obama's term. Inflation is near zero. Interest rates are at historic lows. America is fast achieving energy independence. Gas is below $3 a gallon. Millions more Americans have affordable health insurance - and can't lose their coverage if they get sick or change jobs.

Oh, and in case anyone is counting, I don't think Obama has actually taken away a single fat white guy's gun. And Sharia Law hasn't taken over either.

Tell me which of those "policies" are voters so upset with?

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Perspective. It's something most Americans severely lack.

[​IMG]

The last column especially... America is a case study in first-world stupidity, ignorance, and educational failures. I just wonder how many times the GOP will run this country into the ground before people learn. Probably never, because you can't fix stupid.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that is funny, but why are we still massively in debt? why are we still in the M-E taking on NEW conflicts? some of you pretend a continuation of the Bush policies is a win because OMG, a democrat did it :rolleyes:

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

What can Republicans as a whole take credit for when they are campaigning against Democrats in 2016?

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Right. The smallest turnout was because the voters of your party decided to stay home. The Democrats don't like to turn out in midterm elections and it resulted in a shellacking. One more seat in contention. It's a question of whether the Republicans have 54 or 53.

I'm betting the Keystone Pipeline is the first thing that passes both houses and is sent on the President. I'm also betting that at least 14 Democrats in the Senate vote "aye," making it very hard for President Obama to veto it.

This will be a very interesting two years.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Because you can't just snap your fingers and erase all your debt like you're playing a video game?

The year to year deficit when Obama entered office was -1.5 trillion a year. It's down below -700 million and should be around -500 million when he leaves according to the last numbers I remember from a few months ago. That means he will have cut 2/3rds of the deficit.

I agree with you on the war thing, but we didn't really have a choice with the ISIS cluster****. Obama has also failed miserably when it comes to stuff related to government surveillance.

But regardless, everything else in that article is spot on.

And really? You complain about Obama "continuing Bush-era policies"... wtf do you think the Republicans want to do?

The turnout was low because, lets be real, this election was irrelevant. Nothing is going to happen for the next 2 years. NOTHING at all. And if you think otherwise, you're fooling yourself. The GOP is going to continue to stonewall and pass ridiculously stupid bills. They won't do anything constructive to help the people of this country because they haven't done that **** in 50+ years.

This "shellacking" will be just as relevant as your "shellacking" in 2010. How did that work out in the following Presidential election? LOL.

10. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You are right the annual budget deficit is decreasing each year. But guess what, that is not because of President Obama and the Democrats but in spite of him. Sequestration is responsible for a serious part of that. Remember, your party fully blamed the GOP for cutting spending but now you want to claim the credit for the reduction in spending? Really????

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I am not a republican, so I really don't care what they want to do, the deficit is irrelevant when they keep raising the debt ceiling & spending as they wish.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Obama will veto Keystone. NO WAY he is going to finish his term doing otherwise, and have Keystone part of his presidential legacy.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Funny, if it was the other way around you'd totally be claiming credit for it too. Meanwhile, if the deficit was increasing, you'd totally be blaming Obama, so don't even try to play that card.

We all know in your world if anything goes right it's thanks to the Republicans and if anything goes wrong it's all Obama's fault. You can't have it both ways.

I mean, ****, in one of the threads a couple weeks ago you tried to give Bush credit for lowering gas prices in his last year in office conveniently ignoring that gas prices were low because Bush crashed our economy.

15. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Senator Obama said that raising the debt ceiling was irresponsible when he voted against it. He said that Bush was wrong to even ask for an increase.

If he vetoes it, they will override that veto. This is an issue that not too many democrats are going to vote against. It's going to come to him with so many "aye" votes from both sides of the aisle. Harry Reid protected Obama from having to veto it before by keeping it from getting voted on. That bill will be passed in the first quarter of 2015.

----------

Either you have a reading comprehension problem or you lie. One or the other. I have never given Bush credit for lowering gas prices. I am smart enough to understand that a president does not control the gas prices. I did point out what the gas price was when Obama took office and what it is now but I never said Bush was responsible for lowering them, even when I pointed out that Nancy Pelosi said that Bush and Cheney were responsible for them being high. So did you misunderstand my posts in that thread or are you just lying?

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

our gas prices are getting low again, is Obama crashing the economy? the deficit is a JOKE.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

And that map on the link is exactly why Keystone XL is not necessary.

----------

https://www.senate.gov/reference/glossary_term/override_of_a_veto.htm
    Not going to happen.

18. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Also, its very likely that Cassidy (R) will win LA's runoff election. Im a republican and I think he's scum... He doesnt show up to many debates. He's just words. Its a shame that voters are choosing parties instead of candidates. Landrieu's (D) main challenge will be separating herself from Obama, but the party ties are too close for some people here to overlook.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. For the Senate, they would need all reds to agree to it plus 13 Blues. Unlikely there would be that many to vote to override a veto.

Simple math shows that.

BL.

20. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I think Landrieu's fate will have a lot to do with how Obama acts in advance of the run-off election in Louisiana on Dec. 6. If Obama continues with his current policies and attitude towards Congress, I think her goose is cooked.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You can't be serious with those obviously far right sites. They have also fail to state any definitive reason for debunking Forbes. All they stated were loosely based contrasts between that era and present day.

No debunking, try again.

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I disagree. I think that there will be enough democrats on board, when it passes that President Obama sees the light. It's going to be tough to vote against this unless you are in a rock solid democrat controlled state where you don't have to worry about being re-elected. Even the seats that are not up in 2016 will know that this could come back to haunt them or the party in general.

23. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, debunked. He lies with statistics and you know it.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't believe so, especially with the Reds not considering what is at stake.

First would be the Amer. Indian vote. A lot of Keystone XL goes right through their land; it pretty much goes through my parent's backyard. So while the Reds see nothing but $$$$ and "big oil", they run the risk of alienating a huge constituency, putting some of their candidates on the chopping block for the next election. That is a very thin tightrope to do the Humpty Dance on.

If they already have a means of getting the crude to the coast for processing to market, why don't they use that? another pipeline going through other people's homes/land isn't needed and completely unnecessary.

BL.