GOP ("AFSP") reaches out to women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Republican Party has struggled to gain support among young, college-educated women, so they put up this ad:

Because, you know, women only understand stuff in terms of dating and relationships. So, does this ad come across as demeaningly tone-deaf to women, or do you think it might have been effective?

(Salon, not surprisingly, is not impressed)

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I think many people are disheartened with the transparent and different administration. Face, we were betting on "Hope & Change". We got more of th same.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Young college educated females are far too sophisticated to fall for this GOP garbage.

This is how it is done. This is a far better way to meet young educated female concerns...

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Free transvaginal probing should have women flocking to the polls for the GOP

5. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Government so small, it can fit inside your uterus!

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I agree with your overall point: there's nothing wrong with the original ad in terms of its using the misdirect to make you think it's about dating when actually it's about politics. Ads are designed to grab your attention somehow. I agree it's not (necessarily) demeaning to women to target them with an ad that uses dating as the metaphor.

That being said, the tone of these two ads is pretty different. The first one is angry and serious while the one you posted is more humorous and playful. Although perhaps if who held the presidency was reversed, the tone would reverse as well.

On the other other hand, the democratic ad seems much more authentic (although again, maybe that's just because it uses a much better actress). It sounds like a woman speaking rather than sounding like a woman reading lines written by (a bunch of male) scriptwriters.

7. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

As I understand it, the content of the second ad was composed by the person delivering it. The first ad does not have the same genuine feel, it seems more like some actress reading someone else's lines.

8. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Political ads make me lose an IQ point every time I see one.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Right, because the GOP is having a PR/communication problem. "If only the women of America understood us, they would vote for us". Their core strategy is making you feel better about yourself by crapping on target groups. But women are one of the targets so they're approach isn't working. Hilarious!