GOP and Obama meet face to face...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Jan 29, 2010.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/29/face-face-obama-urges-gop-join-dems-job-creation-efforts/

Obama attended the GOP House Issues Conference in Baltimore today and left himself open to an hour plus question and answer session.

While a few Republicans used the opportunity for political advantage, most of the questions were constructive and I believe/hope some walls were torn down and perhaps a small amount of tension was alleviated, although Im not holding my breath...

Obama was as sharp as ever and answered most of the questions without dancing around them.

anyone who watched the event (not sound bites) have thoughts?...

I went ahead and used the FOXnews link just so my our conservative friends wont think im being biased :D

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There should be no reason the GOP would be against Obama's job creation efforts including dumping the paid back 30 billion back into small business loans or taxing banks that are only surviving due to tax payers and now want to give lavish bonuses out.

The reason the republicans were against the stimulus is because of the way it was going to be administered with a bunch of pork spending, which was partially hypocritical on their own side.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really?

Political opposition: http://www.slate.com/id/2210082/
    http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YjY0NzVlMTdlZmQ2MDQ5NDVmN2NlODE0NmM0ZGYwYjY=
    Pork - 5-10% of bill http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,485685,00.html
    Disagreements on how to spend money, not that it's being spent http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/22/AR2009012203961.html
    http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2009-01-30-voa3-68626537.html

What did the GOP want to do? They wanted to do more of what Bush did, cut taxes. They claimed that would spur on the economy more than spending money in the economy.

Dems - guaranteed money into the economy (otherwise known as pork)
    Repubs - hope some very wealthy people invest the money in US companies, and hope those US companies do something with that money in the US, and hope what they do results in new jobs or spending on something that might create jobs.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I watched the speech he gave, but does anyone have a link to the question and answer session? I'm kind of annoyed that the thing that actually matters is harder to find.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yes, the reason the republicans were against the bill was because there were disagreements on how the money was being administered. Your post just proves me right.

They wanted a large portion of the bill to be in tax cuts (something the dems also included in their bill to a lesser extent), this isn't popular for many because 40% of people don't pay income taxes in the US.

Special deals for senators is what was included in the pork spending, not all spending is equal, not all spending creates jobs. The only guaranteed money into the economy is money that doesn't have to be paid into the government. Our government is renowned for squandering money like no ones business and achieving little.

Also calculating pork spending by percentage in the largest spending bill our nation has ever seen is disingenuous.

6. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Just watched it. Obama handled himself well. He pretty much dismantled GOP talking points with clarity and detail.

Probably won't change anything, but it was fun to watch.

The whole thing is up on C-SPAN

7. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I watched it on CNN, perhaps they will post it....

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I had it on and watched most of it. Obama was real good. I agree with HuffPo on this one. Sadly, I don't think anything will come of it. Both sides are too interested in ideology and not getting things done. :(

9. gibbz macrumors 68030

I am glad to see the President calling the GOP out for their recent policy of reactionary objectionism

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Watched the last 2/3 of it live. It was enjoyable to watch. I suggest people watch the whole unedited thing rather than soundbites from a media outlet of any persuasion.

Liked this tweet:

RT @RussertXM_NBC: GOP aides telling me it was a mistake to allow cameras into Obama's QA with GOP members.

http://twitter.com/pwire

Don't expect this to happen again :)

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Patch the bubble and keep inflating, fellas! I'm sure it won't burst... We're an 'ownership society' after all. I can't believe we didn't stop those banks from 'keeping poor people down' earlier. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Fox News, fair and balanced, cut 20 minutes of Q&A with GoP congresspeople.

Edit: already posted by somebody.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Can't let your product look bad.

14. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/29/politico-helpfully-proves_n_442333.html

Politico proves Obamas point.

---------

POLITICO Breaking News: -----------------------------------------------------
    President Barack Obama, speaking at the House Republican retreat in Baltimore, accuses Republicans of portraying health care reform as a "Bolshevik plot" and telling their constituents that he is "doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America."

15. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

If the shoe fits! :rolleyes:

Neither the Senate or the House health care bill have the support of the American people; that's the message of VA and NJ and now MA... Obama's attempts to demonize Republicans for this legislative failure should just be laughed at... he can't be serious! He did little, as president, to urge the Senate or the House Democrat majority to involve minority Republicans in the formation of either bill now he shows up in Baltimore trying to find a scapegoat in the GOP!

16. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

And you proved all his other points :p
    The thread is complete :D

You obviously didnt watch the speech and QnA. [​IMG]

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The American people are against this bill because of the inability of the Democrats to explain what the problems are and what the solutions are plus Republicans telling outright lies about the plan. The more this went on, the more watered down the bill became.

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Holy crap [​IMG]

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Spot on, the dems couldn't do anything but stick to their talking points and slowly but surely concede to the lies coming from the GOP.

How many items were dropped simply because the right spun it so hard that the very name of the issue took on a negative meaning? End of life counseling comes to mind.

20. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

The idea that republicans had no input on Obama's policies is ridiculous. Over a hundred (100) republican amendments made it into the omnibus spending bill. The "gang of six" in the Senate included several republicans, in fact the HELP committee accepted over 150 republican amendments. The house bill contains ten points that republicans have called for over and over again. Lindsey Graham and John Kerry have been working together on climate change fervently.

The house did look at the GoP health care bill, but it cost more money over a decade and didn't cover as many people, so they didn't accept it.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Tell the whole story, sir.

This was a poll of Massachusetts voters who voted for both Obama and Brown, and people who voted for Obama and sat out the Mass. election.

Yeah, they oppose the health care bills...they wanted something more liberal.

Attached Files:

22. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Funniest tweet ever!

"Pres gave us another lecture. Our guys asked great questions. Need independent fact checker for his comments. Got autograph" - Congresswoman Virginia Foxx of North Carolina's Fifth District
    posted by unsupervised at 2:04 PM on 1/29 [13 favorites]

23. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Hey, just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean you don't want his autograph. I wouldn't mind a photo or autograph from Obama, Bush II, Clinton, or Bush I. :)

That tweet is pretty funny though.