GOP attacks AARP over support for healthcare reform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If the AARP loses its tax exempt status, what's going to happen to all the churches that have pushed conservative candidates and conservative policies? If the Dems can paint this investigation as the reason for churches losing their tax exempt status... that won't play well in the next election.

What about the tax-exempt status of all those conservative think tanks?

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Wait, why is AARP tax exempt? And yeah, churches need to be stripped of tax exempt status ASAP. And of course also synagogues, mosques, and that god forsaken "church"of scientology. That one pisses me off the most.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I see no reason why AARP should be tax exempt.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just the latest hateful Republican insanity.

Remember this?:

[​IMG]

5. dime21 macrumors 6502

Why should a non-profit charitable organization be taxed? Sounds like typical left-wing arrogance and greed to me.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Does the AARP really help people? Isn't it just a huge lobbying group.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Because on balance, religion does more harm than good.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What possibly is your point?

Off topic, I'd like to see a revision of tax exempt status. The only thing that should be tax exempt is the actual assistance given to those in need.

Way too many charitable organizations are slush funds for the people who run them and the people who donate to them. No more tax exemptions for salaries over a certain amount, no more deductions for expensive cars, etc, etc. I'd like to see a mandatory 90% assistance rate with only 10% allowed for overhead.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I can't speak for AARP, but CARP up here just appears, to me anyway, as a vehicle for selling goods/services to retired persons.

I can't be bothered with them.

10. dime21 macrumors 6502

On balance, atheists do more harm than good. Most of them are criminals as well. See? I can make up "facts" too!

11. dime21 macrumors 6502

Here, let me spell it out a little more clearly: Why should a non-profit charitable organization be taxed?

Is that better?

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Non-profit my ass. The catholic church is nothing more than a huge business. Don't even get me started on the church of scientology. Anybody can make up a pretend religion and have it tax exempt as well. Don't equate churches to non-profit charitable donations, huge difference.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Religious Organizations push an agenda with goals(one of which is to make money for some)...if they are in fact doing non-profit work with, then they should be able to apply for tax exemption, but not all are.

However by calling all churches "non-profit charitable organizations" you are attempting to frame the debate around a statement which is not true in all cases, but serves to make anyone who disagrees with you look unreasonable.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It is a non-profit organization.

15. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Uh, no.

They may be "non-profit," but this isn't the Red Cross we're talking about. They're an interest group. A lobbying organization. Not Meals-On-Wheels.

And the CEO got $1.6MM for all that non-profit-making. Nice. Based on our current tax code, I suppose technically he wasn't truly taxed, either. :rolleyes:

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree the tax code needs to be updated. Personally I don't see any CEO justifiably making more than 1M per year. Split the rest of it among the rank and file employees. :)

17. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I LOL'd.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While we're at it, the NRA should be paying taxes.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Amen, brother.

Of course they should be. At the very least, they should have to pay property tax. Help pay for the roads in the town they are in, the firefighters, the police etc etc. So they don't make a profit, so what? Why should they get a free ride on property taxes? If they can't get the people who go there to pay up then they aren't important enough to be there. Sell the land to someone who will contribute back to the community they are in.

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Non-profits don't make a profit. Their money goes to salaries, lobbying, etc. Religious non-profits don't have to pay property tax. Others non-profits such as AARP and the NRA do.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not in the sense that shareholders/owners gain from their status.

But Christ, do these leeches that they get for CEO's have to be so ****ing greedy?

This must cut greatly into their 'good works'. :mad:

22. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Without getting into a tome on tax law, let me just plant two seeds.

First, non-profit does NOT mean that they don't make a profit. It ONLY means that there is no private ownership leading to private inurement. In other words, there aren't shareholders who receive dividends or have ownership interests that can grow in value. (I inserted private because often times related NFPs have "ownership" interests, but that's chapter 32 of the tome).

Second, non-profit does NOT mean tax exempt.

(edit) FYI, there are some who abuse NFP organizations. Here's an example: