GOP Candidate and Trump Supporter Livestreams Trans Individual in CA Bathroom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iLunar, May 18, 2018.

1. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

And continues to harass this individual repeatedly calling her "stupid." I'm sure this GOP candidate will still garner a bunch of the Trumpster support.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ronts-transgender-woman-using-womens-bathroom

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Good thing she had her selfie stick with her.

3. 0007776 Suspended

It’s a bit petty, but it’s no worse than any other social media shaming that goes on when someone does something that offends someone.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

My comments in another thread on this apply here..

Was the transgender person using the ladies room or a unisex bathroom? What was the actual gender of the trans person?

If it was a unisex bathroom then end of discussion. He/she should be free to utilize it. If it was the ladies room then IF the transition was compete and she no longer has male body parts then she should be free to use it. However, IF he was still physically a man, with male body parts, then absolutely not and he was wrong.

5. iLunar thread starter macrumors 6502

iLunar

Im not sure, ask Ms. Saaverda. She had a camera in the bathroom, maybe she got a look? I think she is running to be a Penis Inspector in CA.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

I am trying to share in the outrage but I am struggling....
    • If he or she was using a unisex bathroom then I am outraged
    • If it was a former man who has completely transitioned into a woman and she was using the woman's bathroom then I am outraged
    • If it was a man who identifies as a woman but still has a penis, then sorry, no outrage here.. Not even close and I'd actually say the person filming it did nothing wrong and that the trans person was in the wrong.
    Seeing a man walk into a woman's bathroom would and should cause most rational people to be like WTF..

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

On the other side a candidate running for high office chasing her/him with a selfie stick is nothing to wuzz about.....

8. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

So, apparently it's totally fine for Ms Saavedra to have 'moral outage' at a transwoman using the ladies bathroom (something that is not illegal), meanwhile no-one considers the fact that she targeted said transwoman and deliberately and methodically had time to connect up her selfie stick, set up a lifestream then proceed to film herself walking through the Denny's, all the while giving commentary as she then walked into the ladies restroom, all in the guise of "All I wanted to do is use the ladies restroom".

What happened to the outage of this person deliberately filming inside the ladies restroom? What if there had been a cisgender woman in there as she walked in - what of her privacy?

In addition what this video doesn't show is that the management kicked out the transwoman NOT for being trans, but for the fact it looked like she was abusing drugs whilst in the restroom.

As per a statement released by Denny's:

“In this particular case, the video of this incident does not tell the full story. Our manager was approached by a guest complaining that a man was in the women’s restroom. Once a female team member checked that no one else was in there, the manager entered. Before seeing the guest, the manager observed drug paraphernalia on the floor near the guest and asked the guest to leave based on that observation, and not on her gender identity."​

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

OK, but who is going to check for that?

10. raqball macrumors 68000

Nobody should have to if the transgender folks would follow along and use the one that fits their body part. Then again we will have those who don't want to, don't think they need to or want to exercise their personal liberties..

The easy solution since some won't want to follow rules, make a social justice issue out of it ect, is to just mandate unisex bathrooms... Dumb idea I know but it's the PC culture we live in..

11. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

There are some trans people who may convincingly appear as the other gender but may still be pre-op. It's not as if every trans woman who "still has a penis" can be immediately told apart from a regular woman. Should we have genital inspections at every bathroom? What of cis-women who prefer a more androgyous look? They might be more ambiguous than a "passing" pre-op trans woman.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So they’d be using the one that matches their gender identity?

Because I wouldn’t want someone who looked like a woman in the men’s toilets.

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’ve seen women walk into the men’s room because the women’s was trashed or had an outrageous line.

Wtf is the problem? We all have to go and want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

The outrage industry works wonders on unhinged right wingers.

14. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It seems the only people making a social justice issue out of it are those on the right. They’re PC in their own way, even if they refuse to acknowledge it. Trans people just want to go to the bathroom in peace, conservatives chose to create a political issue out of it. Funny part is, conservatives will NEVER win on this. People will continue using the bathrooms that match their gender identity.

If we need unisex bathrooms so righties don’t have their little feelings hurt, so be it. I was at the doctor’s office yesterday and they had already made their bathrooms unisex.

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

My first thought is that it is illegal to film in a public bathroom in California. This GOP candidate live-streamed herself committing a crime. California Penal Code 647(i) and 647(j).

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Filming in a bathroom, even something as "benign" as this is a big no-no. I expect the police will launch an investigation into Miss. Saavedra. And, to play to my GOP side and my less than stellar views on minorities from 30 years ago, I'd like to see some verification Saavedra is in the US legally.

17. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Oh, how very magnanimous of you. And, pray tell, what if the ones who can't afford to pay for the surgery, or those who are preoperative and have to live in the gender for over a year before surgery can even take place? What about gender queer folk?

And intersex people too: which bathrooms should they pick?

You going to force bodily inspections or just base this on the old Birth Certificate?

And CA is pushing for gender free restrooms. There are many in the GOP who refuse to even consider that (e.g. Ohio Representative Republican John Becker.)

18. raqball macrumors 68000

Thank you, I thought so as well..

Gender free restrooms? PASS! Unisex restrooms - one at a time - with locks? I'm down even though I think its ridiculous that .05% of the population should dictate how the other 99.95% live. But hey, it's the ridiculous times we live in..

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So do you or do you not have a problem with the person livestreaming this breaking the law?

BL.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't have a problem with the person filming as long as it's legal. I believe the law was broken when she recoded inside the bathroom area. Up until then, no... It's what people do these days. They film everything and everyone wanting to post it on Facebook or youtube for attention..

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So pursuant to post #15, do you think she should be spending some time in jail for breaking the law?

Now, I will say that there is some grey area because of this being, yet again, a private restaurant in a public facing environment (read: Starbucks), and therefore you could consider the restrooms to be private, but consistency matters.

BL.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

It should be investigated? Sure. Charged? I dunno, to many unknown factors to say. Spend time in jail? Doubtful. I assume even if found guilty her sentence would be suspended and she'd face a fine..

I said it in another thread. If the trans person was following the law and using the proper restroom then the trans person should not have been harassed...

23. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Well put. I agree, that we should not have to change up society, based on less than a single percentile. There was a good video I watched the other day, where a guy debated with students on the topic.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

It's ridiculous in my opinion... I believe the trans population is actually less than .05%. I rounded up to give the benefit of doubt. The PC culture is going to be the death of us all at some point..

25. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Going to be the death of us? I think it's already on that route as well. I'm not an old guy, but it's a shame to see how much has changed in society over the years, because of the extreme minority. We might as well change all the highway speeds to 5 mph because of that one guy that feels he should be able to walk to work via the freeway. This is how things have become.