GOP Chair thinks 227,000 new jobs is not an improvement

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Change direction Reince? I know that would help your party in the elections, but it seems odd that the GOP just can't accept facts and use them in their platform.

Instead of claiming that things are terrible and it is all President Obama's fault (despite evidence to the contrary) perhaps another less flimsy argument should be made.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow.. they totally blew the chance to say that it was because of their work in the House of Representatives that got those jobs created, and instead tried to take Obama to task because not enough jobs are there.

Glass Half Full Fail.

BL.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

An interesting strategy...rooting against recovery.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well can not have the president looking good.

Now they are right on one thing. We still have a LONG LONG ways to go to deal with the millions who lost their job.

that 227k new jobs only cuts about finding 75-100k of people who lost jobs a new one as the rest goes to what is needed to address the growing workforce but still it is better than unemployment growing.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with fox that the only number that really matters in unemployment is U6. It is the best one to look at.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Agreed that U6 is most important, but Fox is only trying to paint the most negative picture possible. If McCain were president and this happened, they'd be shouting from the rooftops the glorious triumph of his policies.

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

There are a lot of different ways the GOP could move forward, even if the economy continues to improve, but acting like it isn't happening is silly. Acting like we need a massive change is a bad idea too, especially if people begin to feel like things are improving.

I remember how difficult the argument was for democrats prior to 2010. Yes, things were tough, but it would have been so much worse had they not done x, y and z. The Republicans argued that they hadn't done enough, and they should be elected. At the time, democrats were not motivated, republicans were, and people arguably felt like we needed some more change.

Now that things are continuing to improve and the pace continues to stay at a comparitively fairly high level, it's starting to be felt. The argument that we need to change course won't work as well as an argument that we need to adjust our course.

I would have expected this election to be about a choice between competing views on how to further stimulate and grow the economy, but instead, the GOP is arguing that Obama has failed, and they deserve a chance to try to fix things.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Again, the GOP explicitly stated their goal is to undermine Obama. It should be no surprise that they focus on negatives any time the name "Obama" appears.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

U6 is the only stat I care about. You can never really tell if the other stats are real or just people going in and out of being "disgruntled". If you are over 16 and are able to work and not retired you are unemployed if you aren't working.

That being said its good to see this stat edging down a bit. The economy was not heading the right way when he came to office and there really isn't a whole lot he could do about it.

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I'm waiting for Gingrich to up the ante and claim "free gas for all if elected".

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

And he'll do it by cutting taxes too!

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The Republicans should come take some lessons from the conservatives here. They might actually stand a chance of getting elected.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's not forget the moon colony.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

U6 is the number other countries used to define unemployment. The US uses U3 and on top of that they have screwed with how that number is calculated more than ones to make it go lower for political gain.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Can you cite any sources regarding your claim that "they have screwed with how that number is calculated"?

The U3 is based on a definition from the International Labour Organization (ILO) (a agency of the United Nations) that's been in effect since 1982.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Unemployment under Bush was 5%. Democrats screamed it was the worst economy in 30 years.

Using the same indices, unemployment under Obama would be at 10.3%. Democrats report a booming recovery.

Unemployment numbers are fudged because we don't count the people who stopped looking for work - who as they say "took themselves out of the job market."

The unemployment numbers for this month, just released, are 8.3%. Same as last month. Using these indices, unemployment under Bush would have been 3.3%...

How can unemployment numbers this month be the same as last month? With 227,000 new jobs created! Well it will take more than 500,000 new jobs created every month, month after month, to move that number - which again should really be reported as 10.3%

When the number of new jobs created matches the number of people who gave up looking because they were unable to find a job, that's not job growth.

Sorry. Nothing to be excited about.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Minus the fact that Bush from the beginning to the end of the presidency created only 300k jobs total. That is a little over 2 months just to keep pace. Bush lead us in to the 2nd great depression.

Remember Obama got the complete cluster **** Bush left us with.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you're saying we were better off, I'm not sure of this. Bush and his administration set up some of the problems we're having today. The economy still looks like crap, but if you're going to graph something it should examine the acceleration and where it is headed. The other question being, what do you feel the other side would do to improve this? The GOP is quite transparent about their intentions, but they lie frequently about the anticipated results. The reality of it is that neither party is going to fix this to a point that we would find objectively acceptable. Most of this from either party tends to rely on whether we're better or worse than the preceding month. They rely on tangents rather than long term projections.

You're saying this isn't enough, so what would enough? All I seem to hear from the GOP is a demand to repeat things that have failed in the past, that did not fail due to external factors but due to inherently flawed details.

18. citizenzen, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you're want statements like this to have any credibility, then you should cite a reputable source that backs them up.

Edit: Sorry person who voted down my post, but this statement requires some form of proof. Show me that when unemployment was 5% there were democrats screaming that it was the worst economy in 30 years. Just don't throw something like that out and expect me to believe it.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Things are finally getting better around here after 10 years of malaise. However, I'm expecting another ten years or so of working off the massive debt burden all the world's economies are under:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the Global Financial Crisis has left us all (that is the "G" in global) with a debt load like that after WWII:

[​IMG]

In the meantime, the next ten years are going to be rough. Actually, in the U.S., it may take longer, since the U.S. still hasn't figured out what to do about medical care and Medicare.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about if you are looking after young children or are a student?

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Well D'uh! Politics 101. If you can't achieve victory then deny your opponent a clean win.

Or...did you think the Democrats would do something different???!!!!:confused:

And are you not aware that as late as last month the BLS decreased the number of people available to the US workforce, significantly? And that this reduction was a major factor in the dip in the unemployment rate? It's an annual adjustment to allow for seasonal employment, but this year, it was unusually large. I could probably find a citation, but I'm a little too tired and a little to drunk to give a rats a** about anyones lack of being informed.

And all this with an Obama appointee at the helm of the BLS.....

Remember, Obama and his ilk helped create the cluster***k.

This is what kills me about this forum. It's all "My guy rulz!", "your Guy Suxors!". There is clear and compelling evidence that they all create HUGE amounts of vacuum, and have a complete lack of anything that would make me believe they shouldn't all be run ridden out of town on a rail. Tar and Feather the whole lot! This whole thing stopped being about us a long time ago. Now it's just our political class offering political positions to see what intellectual lemmings they can get to vote to empower them! STOP BEING AN EFFING LEMMING!

Wake Up America.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Source please.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I thought you people preferred the term sheeple?

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

90+% of it rest on Bush.
    Lets see bush during his 8 years in office created a grand total of 300k jobs and if he was in office for one more year that would of gone negative. Talk about a huge improvement.
    First 2 years of Obama was more stopping the downward slide by Bush. No if ands or buts about it. Bush crashed the economy. Obama was handed a economy that at one point shedding over 500k jobs a month. I want to say it did hit 7 figures once.

You are trying to tell me that it is Obama's fault for starting this mess? Are the GOP lovers really that clueless?

25. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I made no claims. Simply pointing out that the GOP was upfront about why they became the party of "no".

<snip>

Maybe a good idea to come back when you are sober.