GOP Congressman defends Todd Akin's comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 11, 2013.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I can proudly say that after the new Congress was sworn in, for the first time since 1989, Todd Akin no longer represents me in Congress. Unfortunately, some can't say the same for Phil Gingrey:

[​IMG]

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...an-akins-rape-comments-were-partly-right?lite

How the hell did this moron get his medical license? And has the GOP forgotten why they lost in November?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While yes, this guy is a lunatic, please include the entirety of his statements including his wording on stress hormones. It's important.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's a shame he didn't elaborate on how Akin was "partly right." That would have been an interesting read.

Oh, wait - he DID elaborate! You just declined to post it. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like he made his medical opinion much, much more clear than you did. Reading the whole thing puts a WHOLE different perspective on him "defending" Akin's comments.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Stress hormones? Last I checked just being pregnant is a stressful thing for many women. I don't think our species would have survived if that was all it took to terminate a pregnancy.

----------

Well okay, he does make some good points. Though Akin's was still very much out of line with his comments last years.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

While what he is saying definitely has some validity, do you really think that's what Akin meant when he said what he said?

And in terms of stress maybe not allowing someone to ovulate - that is more of a long term thing. Not one stressful situation. If you are ovulating (which is necessary to get pregnant) you wouldn't just stop because you were being attacked.

What Akin said was ridiculous, offensive, and ignorant. Instead of trying to find logical ways to make what he said less so, can't we just admit he was an idiot and move on? These Republicans just insist on making themselves continue to look bad.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't think that's what the doctor said. Read the article. He said that stress can prevent ovulation, but that once a woman has ovulated, the proverbial "horse has already left the barn" and that no longer applies.

Yes, Akin wasn't telling a true (or complete) version of the facts. Much like the OP.

Possibly, but I doubt it. In any event, my post wasn't about Akin, it was about the OP being selectively edited.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And yet ... actual studies of pregnancy rates from rape victims seem to show that their odds of getting pregnant are generally equal to those for a single encounter between consensual partners.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ome-legitimate-science-on-pregnancy-and-rape/

B

10. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

If anything, the stress from a rape and the aftermath of a trial and all that might stop ovulation and prevent a woman from getting pregnant (and I hate using this word in this context) "legitimately" from consensual sex. Not going to stop her from getting pregnant from the rape though.

It was ridiculous when Akin said it, and it's even more ridiculous when a doctor says it.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

He never "defended" Akin. He just said that there's a degree of truth, on the medical side, to what Akin was saying in terms of being able to conceive under a stressful situation.

But defending him.....not so much. In fact he has gone as far as to say the following: