GOP in Michigan wants to take away your rights.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 9, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The newly elected Republican governor in Michigan is cutting funding for cities and municipalities, creating all sorts of fiscal problems for these cities. What can be done? Reconsider the funding cuts? Cut elsewhere? Stop giving away corporate breaks? No, no, no...

How about pass a law that gives the governor the unilateral power to declare a fiscal emergency in your town (you and your town can't protest this), appoint an EFM, Emergency Financial Manager, which can be a corporation, and then give that EFM the power to cancel any contract, including collective bargaining contracts, the power to unincoporate your city, the power to dismiss any elected official and the power to throw out any laws they don't like. Oh, and don't forget, we can pay the EFM whatever we want!

I heard that a prominant Democrat once said not to let a crisis go to waste. Well, here, we have Republicans manufacturing crises, and then using them to pass things that NEVER would be allowed otherwise. I guarantee you NO Republican ran on the promise that they would do this type of power grab.

If I'm wrong, and the Republicans ran on the platform that they were going to manufacture financial problems by giving away millions in corporate breaks so that they could justify these types of draconian actions, then I apologize in advance. Perhaps, if that is the case, the voters in Michigan may have given them a mandate to do this.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Man, the Republicans are over-reaching everywhere. This too will bite them in the ass.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

All this crap they are pulling can be appealed in court, but it may take years to works its way through the channels. It's almost as if they're throwing all these monkey wrenches into the works all at the same time, because they know it's too much to stop.

But they may be underestimating Americans. There are signs that they are brewing a popular revolt that is going to make the tea party look like a...well, a tea party.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The state constitution of Michigan does not appear to specify any proscriptions or constraints that would put this sort of act in violation of its tenets, unless there are certain parts could be interpreted so (something like a "takings" clause). The US constitution essentially ends at the state boundary — what goes on officially within a state is not covered, unless, again, some clause can be extended to cover this sort of thing. Fundamentally, in a legal sense, it looks like these Koch fiends may not be on shaky ground, which is truly disturbing.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmm, one never knows what those republicans are going to do next

[​IMG]

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It should be quite obvious by now what they Tea Party and Republicans are about- power grabs. This is truly frightening.

Republicans are going to be HUGE losers next election.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I know i can't wait! As far as I'm concerned republicans are unworthy of holding any political office. I wish they were a small minority in this country, maybe some day they will be.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That scares the helll out of me!

In essence, it's like declaring martial law!

IF this succeeds, you can be sure that the Tea Party is done for.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I said it before, but we warned people. Now look at what's happening.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Demographically, they are. Why else do you think they would be working in laws and devices to game the electoral system. But even so, tiny minorities should not be just stepped on. If we treat them somewhat decently, perhaps, duly defanged and declawed, they might respond in kind.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I gotta tell you all, born and raised here in Mi. We have had an absolute @&"t few years. Fine Gov Granholm did quite the job running ip a 2b deficit, so Rick has his work cut out for him.

I am by no means condoning this, as I have heard little about this even locally; however this stinks.

The unions of this state are loosing power, and fast. I personally think that the Detroit news/free Press union break opened a lot of eyes. Our cities are poorer, people are leaving this state in droves, hell the city of Detroit can't even get past 1m in the damn census.

Our roads are about the worst in the nation, our property taxes are among the highest; and our Government is one the most highest paid and top heavy in the land.

This state needs a shake up for the better. Were hurting very bad in this state, and it's been coming for some time.
    I just prey they keep the Great Lakes from being shipped off as well. :(

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is actually much better than I feared. I knew this was where the right wanted to take the US, but I feared creeping fascism, so slowly people wouldn't take notice. A genuine conspiracy to enslave America would just be smarter than this. These clowns aren't capable of that because they are nothing but an increasingly desperate cargo cult of Reagan conservatism. Because they don't really have the slightest idea what they're doing, when their rituals don't get the results they want, all they can do is go for bigger versions of the same rituals.

Now their silly rituals have gotten so big any fool can see what they're really trying to achieve. Giving the Executive autocratic authority to take over and privatize towns with no review or oversight? Any sane person will rebel against such a brazen attack on everything America stands for.

In displaying, or tolerating, this degree of insanity, the right is becoming a parody of itself and supplying one coffin-nail after another to finally seal up the putrefying corpse of a political ideology that for thirty years has divided the nation, made the average citizen poorer and worse off and all but ruined the economy, all in the name of making politicians' rich friends richer.

The more bills like this, the faster that festering blight on American history can be put into the ground where it belongs.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

This seems like such a mind boggling departure from democracy you'd think something like this would have to go out on a referendum and allow the voters to sign away such decisions to the Governor. It is un-****ing- believable.

This pattern appears to be consistent across several state legislatures in control of Republicans. Give away $100M in tax breaks from corporations and then ask for $100M in concessions from your public employees. The outright lie they are pushing is that they "are fixing the state budget" when in all of the examples I have heard, their proposals do nothing to fix the state budget, just give hand outs to corporations and take away from state employees.

I thought the Democrats were bad when they took over Congress under Obama. Bad in the sense of ramming things through over Republican objections, but they don't compare to the Republicans' single mindedness over-reaching desire to throw average citizens under the bus. The most heinous aspect of Republican thinking is that sure they want a balanced budget, it will be balanced after they have made those "worthy" (their definition of worthy), wealthy. The "un-worthy" can eat **** thank you very much.

Democrats despite their faults care about average people.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, I think you're correct. Oh, and is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a stark absence of our right-leaning members in this thread?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The truly disturbing possibility is full subversion of democracy. Once the state has been redistricted according to the census, the governor could, in theory, identify towns that harbor the opposition and shut them down right around election time.

Apparently unable to see past their noses, the right wing is striving to turn the US into North Africa. We will probably not experience the kind of in-the-streets anti-(pluto-)cratic revolt in the near term, but it is almost certainly imminent. The sad thing is the Tunisians and the Egyptians, and most likely the Yemenis and Libyans and others that follow appear to have chosen to "(Not) Get Fooled Again".

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.