GOP Lawmaker Poised to Call for Special Prosecutor to Investigate White House

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Oh- here we go. It's the Clinton administration all over again. :rolleyes: Probably nothing here, but I guess we'll see.

Rep. Darrell Issa, the top Republican on the House Oversight committee, told CBS News Wednesday that he will call for a special prosecutor to investigate the White House if it does not address Rep. Joe Sestak's claim that he was offered a federal job in exchange for dropping out of the Pennsylvania Senate primary.

"If the public doesn't receive a satisfactory answer, the next step would be to call for a special prosecutor, which is well within the statute," Issa (pictured) told Hotsheet.

The California Republican has been pushing for the White House to provide details of conversations between Sestak and administration officials in the wake of Sestak's comment during a radio interview last month that he was offered a high-ranking administration job in exchange for dropping his primary challenge against Sen. Arlen Specter.

Asked if that job was secretary of the Navy, Sestak declined to comment. His press secretary told CBS News that the lawmaker stands by his original statement that he was offered the job in exchange for an administration post. Sestak did not drop out of the race.

On March 10th, Issa sent a letter to White House lawyer Robert Bauer asking for details about communications between Sestak and the White House. In the letter, he pointed to statutes he said could have been violated if Sestak was offered a quid pro quo arrangement in which he would be given an administration job in exchange for leaving the race.

Issa said the move may have violated anti-bribery provisions of the federal criminal code as well as prohibitions on government officials interfering in elections and using federal jobs for a political purpose. Violation of each provision is punishable by up to one year in jail.

The White House did not respond to Issa's letter by its March 18 deadline. Reporters have asked White House press secretary Robert Gibbs about the inquiry on six occasions.

On February 23rd, Gibbs said he had not looked into the matter. On March 1st, he said he had not made any progress on it. On March 9th, he said he did not have an update with him. On March 11th, he said he did not have anything additional on the matter. On March 12th, he said he did not have any more information on it.

On March 16th, Gibbs finally addressed the situation.

"Look, I've talked to several people in the White House; I've talked to people that have talked to others in the White House," he said. "I'm told that whatever conversations have been had are not problematic."

On Monday, Issa issued a second letter asking who Gibbs had spoken to about the matter and the basis for his comment that the interactions between the White House and Sestak were not problematic.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001105-503544.html?tag=pop

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Why are the Republican party such winghy arses when out of power? Every time they make out like the USA's been taken over by criminals. Complete drama queens.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
So... if Obama offered the guy a job to drop his bid for office... you're cool with that? Interesting how our hunger for 'accountability' changes based on the current occupant of the White House. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Why are the Republican party such winghy arses when out of power? Every time they make out like the USA's been taken over by criminals. Complete drama queens.
Because they know they have no ideas of their own. They can't compete on an intellectual level, so they have to manufacture scandals and sow fear.

So... if Obama offered the guy a job to drop his bid for office... you're cool with that? Interesting how our hunger for 'accountability' changes based on the current occupant of the White House. ;)
Oh christ! No one said that! I just doubt this happened. The Republicans are desperate for something, anything. I would not put it past them to make things like this up just as a distraction. They've done it several times before.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Blame the Tea Party nutjobs and the Palinites if you want to know why nobody is interested in these accusations. They are currently trying every possible tactic to discredit Obama to the point of invoking the utterly ridiculous. Personally I believe they've cried wolf once too often, especially when you take the same tactics being used against Clinton into account. When the accusation comes from a Republican under the current climate it's very difficult to take it seriously, unless of course you're a Palinite or an advocate of the Tea Party.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Blame the Tea Party nutjobs and the Palinites if you want to know why nobody is interested in these accusations. They are currently trying every possible tactic to discredit Obama to the point of invoking the utterly ridiculous. Personally I believe they've cried wolf once too often, especially when you take the same tactics being used against Clinton into account. When the accusation comes from a Republican under the current climate it's very difficult to take it seriously.
Exactly my point.

"He wasn't born here!" "He's a Muslim!". On and on... it's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Now they have a new tactic they can try. I doubt there's anything to it. And no matter what evidence the WH supplies, they won't accept it.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
:rolleyes:

Perhaps Mr. Sestak, a Democratic congressman, just made it up, since the claim would no doubt drastically boost his political future! :D
Mr Sestak won't even comment on this. Probably because there's nothing there.

Why should Obama be immune to any investigation?
No one said he should. When they find nothing, they'll move onto something else to waste our money. That's what makes me angry.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
:rolleyes:

Perhaps Mr. Sestak, a Democratic congressman, just made it up, since the claim would no doubt drastically boost his political future! :D
High level political operations have discussions that go something like this:

You're running for office against a candidate we want to keep.
I want to win.
If you run, you will weaken the seat and make it more likely a Republican will win.
I can't just drop out, I already resigned my x position.
Look, if you drop out we'll take care of you/you will have a position in our administration.

On the other hand, if the conversation was:

If you drop out we'll pay you off with a job... yeah, then it could be bad.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Mr Sestak won't even comment on this. Probably because there's nothing there.
Why do I keep thinking of a Vulcan when I see that name?

No one said he should. When they find nothing, they'll move onto something else to waste our money. That's what makes me angry.
Of all the things the government wastes money on, this is a drop in the bucket.
Welfare, Israel, Iraq War, Medicaid, construction contracts - etc. All that adds up to trillions. Let them spend a few hundred thousand on this crap and maybe they'll shut up.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Why do I keep thinking of a Vulcan when I see that name?
Haha!

Of all the things the government wastes money on, this is a drop in the bucket.
Welfare, Israel, Iraq War, Medicaid, construction contracts - etc. All that adds up to trillions. Let them spend a few hundred thousand on this crap and maybe they'll shut up.
As we saw with Clinton, they won't stop at all. Expect a repeat of that circus if the Republicans get a majority in either the Senate or House. Except this time, they won't find a blow job.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Because we all know it is much better to put a horse show organizer whom you owe a favour in charge of FEMA.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
As we saw with Clinton, they won't stop at all. Expect a repeat of that circus if the Republicans get a majority in either the Senate or House. Except this time, they won't find a blow job.
Oh, they'll allege one anyway. Most likely from Osama Bin Laden :rolleyes:

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Probably nothing here, but I guess we'll see.
Far too much illegality so far from this administration has been dismissed by its sympathetic mainstream media shield; imagine what the liberals would be doing now if the Bush Administration had offered a federal job in exchange for someone dropping out of a Senate primary? Half the Democrats would be screaming impeachment! Kudos to Rep. Darrell Issa for his call for a special prosecutor - Chicago illegality needs to be prosecuted!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Far too much illegality so far from this administration has been dismissed by its sympathetic mainstream media shield; imagine what the liberals would be doing now if the Bush Administration had offered a federal job in exchange for someone dropping out of a Senate primary? HAlf the Democrats would be screaming impeachment! Kudos to Rep. Darrell Issa for his call for a special prosecutor - Chicago illegality needs to be prosecuted!
If the Bush Administration had done it nobody would even notice. Amongst the rest of the crap they pulled this would appear like one of their better moves.

Compared to hundreds of billions of taxpayers' money awarded in no-bid contracts to Bush's Daddy's company and the other company that Dick Cheney just happens to have hundreds of millions of dollars of share options in it's pretty weak. Even a Palinite Tea Party advocate is clever enough to see that.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Far too much illegality so far from this administration has been dismissed by its sympathetic mainstream media shield; imagine what the liberals would be doing now if the Bush Administration had offered a federal job in exchange for someone dropping out of a Senate primary? Half the Democrats would be screaming impeachment! Kudos to Rep. Darrell Issa for his call for a special prosecutor - Chicago illegality needs to be prosecuted!
Rules.Rules.Rules

Post a LINK to that accusation.

TechieJustin

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Haha!

Meh, not much will change. Clinton's problem was he committed perjury - a federal offense. He lied under oath. The whole thing was tied up in the details and semantics to the point where they threw up their hands and dropped the charges.

The Republicans are so disorganized and dense I don't see them uniting and going after Obama like they did Clinton.

and no, I'm not a liberal.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Meh, not much will change. Clinton's problem was he committed perjury - a federal offense. He lied under oath. The whole thing was tied up in the details and semantics to the point where they threw up their hands and dropped the charges.
That was after so much investigation and harassment already. The Republicans had done so much and had Ken Starr hounding Clinton on a daily basis for a very long time. He was bound to slip up. Who wouldn't with all the allegations the Republicans threw at him? And all they got was lying about a blow job.

The Republicans are so disorganized and dense I don't see them uniting and going after Obama like they did Clinton.

and no, I'm not a liberal.
Don't worry, they will. Except it will be far worse this time.

Originally Posted by IntheNet
Far too much illegality so far from this administration

Rules Rules Rules

Rules are rules.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I was making a general statement of what is seen as a pattern of illegal conduct by this administration to amplify my point; should you demand links to such an assessment, refer to 1) the issue of fired Inspector General of the Corporation for National and Community Service, Gerald Walpin, and 2) the administration's role in the illegal removal of Haitian children, both clear instances of illegality which may mean a Special Prosecutor investigating the White House for their involvement, in addition to the issue Rep. Darrell Issa is surfacing.

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
I was making a general statement of what is seen as a pattern of illegal conduct by this administration to amplify my point; should you demand links to such an assessment, refer to 1) the issue of fired Inspector General of the Corporation for National and Community Service, Gerald Walpin, and 2) the administration's role in the illegal removal of Haitian children, both clear instances of illegality which may mean a Special Prosecutor investigating the White House for their involvement, in addition to the issue Rep. Darrell Issa is surfacing.

Good man.Thanks for playing by the rules. Now a question.

Do you ever read the links you post ?