GOP Lawmaker Pushes to Put Reagan’s Face on $50 B

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Link

Give me a break. Be happy he has an airport named after him. How dare they push this, he wouldn't even pass the Republican purity test. :rolleyes:

Ronald Reagan’s conservative legacy has been the topic of debate for much of the last two decades. Now a Republican lawmaker is arguing that that legacy should be honored by putting Reagan's face on the $50 bill.

Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina introduced legislation Tuesday that would replace President Ulysses S. Grant on the $50 bill with Reagan’s likeness.

“Every generation needs its own heroes,” McHenry said in a written statement. “One decade into the 21st century, it’s time to honor the last great president of the 20th and give President Reagan a place beside Presidents Roosevelt and Kennedy.”

FDR's likeness in on the dime and Kennedy’s is on the half-dollar.

McHenry pointed to a polls of presidential scholars that show Reagan consistently outranks President Grant, including a Wall Street Journal survey in 2005 that ranked Reagan sixth and Grant 29th.

But one Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee said he’s not ready to grant that honor to “someone whose policies are still controversial.”

“Our currency ought to be something that unites us,” Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., told the Los Angeles Times.

This isn’t the first time Republicans have tried to put Reagan on the $50 bill. In 2005, when Republicans controlled Congress, the attempt died in the House Financial Services Committee.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Hero? Just to name one thing, ignoring the emerging AIDS problem because it was a "gay disease."

Put Reagan on the $3 bill. ;)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Hero? Just to name one thing, ignoring the emerging AIDS problem because it was a "gay disease."

How about telling Gorbachev "Eff you, Im building star wars" when working out the mutual disarmament...only to the following weeks say "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

He was a hollow man in a suit.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Grant is a distant relative of mine, I don't want him knocked off in favor of Reagan by a bunch of movie buffs, nostalgic conservatives and closet Confederates. ;)

I'd rather have Gorbachev on the $50 than Reagan. At least he ended the cold war.... ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Thank you. Don't put him on any bill at all. I don't get why people idolize that guy. If you lived through his term, you know it certainly was NOT all that. Can you also say "Iran-Contra"? Let's not forget what happened to our national debt either.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Don't we have more important things to discuss in congress?
:rolleyes:
Not to mention the cost of this.

Seriously, there are dozens of great Americans that are more deserving that Reagan.

Clinton would be a better for for the fifty as that's the going rate for a good blow job. :eek:

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Not to mention the cost of this.

Seriously, there are dozens of great Americans that are more deserving that Reagan.

Clinton would be a better for for the fifty as that's the going rate for a good blow job. :eek:
So true. It cost a lot of money to get new printing press dies and then figure a redesign on the $50 (which it just recently got).

LOLz.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
^ I vote the ass on that guys avatar go on the new 50.
They should design several different 50s with different asses on them. Not only will collecting them all be fun, but it'll help you build up a nice rainy day fund in case you really need the mony.