GOP lawmaker: The Bible says the unemployed ‘shall not eat’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Mar 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

"GOP lawmaker: The Bible says the unemployed ‘shall not eat"

Except the verse biblical passage, 2 Thessalonians 3-10 (“if a man will not work, he shall not eat”) is unanimously understood by theologians to mean those who simply cannot work, including the mentally ill, the borderline disabled and veterans.
    This is in line with Jesus efforts to help those in trouble.

It is NOT about those who can work, have access to work, but don't.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You own quote says "will not work" but your bolded line says "cannot work". Very different things. Jesus helped the infirm all the time. I agree with the verse.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Law makers should not quote religious text of any kind in the making or altering of laws. They should stick to the facts.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The facts go against their agenda.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think we should pull the original Hebrew text for this one...

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you for validating the very reason why we have a separation between church and state in this country. If you want somewhere that agrees with your philosophy on this, I'm pretty sure one of those radicalized Islamic caliphates you rail against will welcome you with open arms.

BL.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And they also hate women.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

They have corrected the article 3 times now, rapidly approaching Voxsplaining territory.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jesus also helped the whore. all through the bible it says to help others without saying only if that guy is not sitting around. when you start picking and choosing who you think needs help it ends up really no one needs your help because they are all fat lazy moochers.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2017 ---
    what if no one will hire you??? then are you refusing work?

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The keyword is "will". Jesus helped the unnamed sinner (the adulterer), and she converted. She had the will. I don't think that anyone is advocating stop helping at all, just stop helping those that don't want to be helped.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that a perfectly capable person who refuses to work for himself should be entitled to nothing, right?

I know this is PRSI, but come on. We can all get behind this one can't we?

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

For mine own part, it was Greek to me.;)

Paul preached to the Gentiles, whereas Peter preached to the Jews. It wouldn't make sense for him to write letters to the Thessalonians in Hebrew when they are Greek.

Anyhow, if any Bible quote applies it would be Matthew 18:6. Jesus' prescription for dealing with law makers, who misinterpret the Bible, is to tie a millstone around their necks and toss them in the sea.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

We don't know his motivations on why he refuses. So we must follow the mantra "From each according to his ability,each according to his needs.;)

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Wait, so doesn't that make it so much worse? Those who physically can't work, shouldn't eat???

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Lol. After he helped these people he would say "now go and sin no more", not "people are people so go have fun. Don't forget to wrap it up next time". You're a riot Steve.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but the problem is that tends to be all poor people because we all know most are welfare bums. yes the people that won't work should be removed but it is a small percentage of people. but if you listen to the people that say such things it is about everyone. but then you have the problem of people trying to work but there are no jobs or the jobs pay too little to make it work.
    the GOP has thew idea almost everyone getting aid are lazy good for nothing junkie layabouts. they have proven it with mandatory drug tests and such.
    but since people are sinners they will sin it is guaranteed its right there in the bible. so unlike you Jesus would help them at least once no matter what. your a riot try to be like Jesus more and maybe you would not hate others so much.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ah, I just thought that since Paul was jewish he'd be writing in Hebrew... he could know two languages though. :)

20. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Whack job republicans strike again!

There should be a clear divide between religion and government.

21. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

No, you are not refusing work because you actually made the attempt to look.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

dude thats just an excuse your off welfare. if you want people to go to work and get off welfare you have to give them he tools to do so and there has to be jobs for them. but the first was dropped and the second is still a large problem.

23. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Completely misread what I wrote.

Biblical verse: Those who can't work because they are idle / lazy shall not eat (unless physically unable at the time or permanently, then provide help, first aid.)
    GOP: Those who can't work shall not eat, no exception.

Analogy:
    Major storm destroys a town, local economy is destroyed, people injured.
    Injured people cannot work, and no jobs to do.
    Let them starve?

@webbuzz @BeeGood @yaxomoxay

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No. We can't.

I would provide every living human being with at least subsistence level of housing and food. It's not in my interest (and I would argue society's as well) to create a population of desperate, starving human beings.

25. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Once again you completely miss it.

I said
    "2 Thessalonians 3-10 (“if a man will not work, he shall not eat”) is unanimously understood by theologians to mean those who simply cannot work."

I am quoting first the bible and then theological interpretation of that quote.
    ("Those that can work but do not do not deserve food", and I agree with that sentiment.)
    Worthy discussion, but not this topic.

Its about those who are unable.