GOP Lawmaker: We Need to Ban Sex-Based Abortions Because of Asian Immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 25, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What could be better than a Republican bill combining two of their most favored past times, misogyny and racism.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics...rtions-because-asian-immigrants#disqus_thread

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Another vagina-invading "solution" looking for a problem.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Abortion is an ugly deal, do you guys honestly support abortion simply based on the sex of the child? should people be able to abort simply because its "another" boy or another "girl"?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

While the way the bill is being presented is clearly racist, what is wrong with banning abortions based just on the sex of the child?

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

[​IMG]

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No, I don't support sex-selective abortions. However, abortion is legal and the woman has the right to choose. I also don't believe any women would admit to a sex-selective abortion but would give other reasons.

I also don't support racists using bull **** to try and pass unneeded legislation.

7. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

the bill should apply to EVERYONE, not just Asians.

I hope more states pass a bill that applies to EVERYONE.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Honestly, it doesn't matter what any of us "support" because it's a free country. Abortion is a personal medical decision that is legally supported by the supreme court and the only people who should be involved at all are the pregnant woman, her family, and her doctor. This is no business of any douchebag politician.

Man, in that other thread, you were complaining about the big bad government trying to control people. But now you're for it here? Double standard much?

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Everybody wants big government, it's just a question of where they want the Government to be big.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

you ASSUME me an anarchist , I am not. different thread = different issue.
    indeed. I support the ACA, with the exception of the MANDATE. I have no problem with the rest of it .

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

nothing "medical" about that sex based decision.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

There's no proof that anyone is even making that decision. This is a bunch of stereotyping & bigotry from some clown lawmaker who can't prove this is actually a problem but just "thinks" it is.

"It referred to South Dakota Department of Health statistics showing that 3.9 percent of abortion patients in 2011 reported their race as "other," that is, not white, black, or Native American. "It's possible that this could be affecting as many as 24 abortions a year," Cody concluded—assuming every woman who reported her race as "other" was Asian, and every one of them was seeking an abortion only because of the fetus's sex."

That's a lot of assuming and maybes.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

the women who are having the abortion provide the proof. all the DR does is ASK them. read the article.

EDIT.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

1) are you saying that Asian countries do not have a selective abortion problem (China especially)? How is it racist to point out that Chinese people will abort a girl to have a boy?

2) Do you think people should be able to have an abortion based on the sex of their child? I don't.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Abortion is a medical procedure therefore it's always a medical decision.

Why should they have to provide proof? It's a free country and abortion is legal as long as it's early enough in the pregnancy. If a woman wants to get an abortion, provided it's before ~20 weeks (or whatever it is in the specific state), she can. She doesn't have to give a reason at all.

EDIT- Just saw your edit. What's the point then? If a woman doesn't want the baby because of the baby's sex, she's just going to lie to the doctor and tell them it's for a different reason. She could give them ANY other reason and there's no problems because abortion is legal. This legislation is just a waste of time if that's how it's going to work.

Like I said above, it doesn't matter what any one of us thinks. It's a "free" country and abortion is legal. There are many people in this country that "think" all abortions should be illegal, but that's their personal beliefs. In a "free" country, who gives them the right to force that belief on others?

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I was under the impression that Sex selective abortions was practiced in China because of the restrictions of one child per family. Is there any evidence that it is being practiced by the Asian community in America.

17. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

then you have no problem with the legislation as presented because of it, right?

18. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

No, because it won't solve the "problem" (which may or may not even exist) that it's intended to solve. What the hell is the point of putting it on the books, if that's the case?

19. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

as presented? feel good about pretending to do something :eek:.

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Fair enough! :D

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I know nothing about American politics, but that has to be the most stupid thing I've read. I hope this person has no power.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Two problems with it:

It's a slippery slope. You start putting crap like this through, and what's next?

But the biggest problem this is just a huge waste of resources. Imagine if we had politicians that actually worked to help better the economy, create jobs, and improve the infrastructure instead of passing religious-rooted feel good legislation that tries to infringe on rights but is so stupid that it won't even do anything.

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

completely agree with you there.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sex selective abortions are banned in both China and India.

Personally I'm ok with this.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Why not? What is different about a sex selective abortion that makes you not want to support it?