GOP Lobbyist Pushing for Ban on Openly Gay NFL Players

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Jim Crow laws for gays. Morality laws for private businesses. What's next?

Republican lobbyist Jack Burkman is pushing for legislation that would ban openly gay athletes from the National Football League, spurred on by the recent news about Michael Sam publicly coming out. He is appealing directly to Republican members of Congress to propose a bill on the issue, telling The Huffington Post that there are five House members and one senator “interested in co-sponsoring the bill” and he expects more to join on.

Burkman acknowledges that normally, conservatives don’t like the idea of imposing policy on private businesses, but says that this belief is now “trumped for reason of great urgency or necessity” and it all comes down to the NFL’s moral standing.

“I felt that if the NFL doesn’t have any morals, and people like [Commissioner] Roger Goodell, who are just go-along-get-along guys, just want to appease advertisers, appease corporate America and all that stuff… I figured, well, it is time for conservatives in Congress to step in and define morality for them.”
Burkman admitted “it would be a start” if openly gay players used different bathrooms from straight players, and Fox News’ Chad Pergram tweeted that Burkman’s proposed bill would “ban openly gay players… or require [the] league to provide separate facilities”​

http://www.mediaite.com/online/gop-lobbyist-pushing-for-ban-on-openly-gay-nfl-players/

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
domestic violence, DUI offenders, drug users, animal cruelty & murder all acceptable in the NFL, God forbid one guy loves another guy, priceless.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
One of the problem I have with these idiots is that they're extremely disingenuous. Few if any of them are doing it out of ignorance. Their purpose is merely to appeal to ignorance, which makes them even worse. Aside from that, I would like to see this quote in full context. If I find it, I'll post it.

"I felt that if the NFL doesn't have any morals, and people like [Commissioner] Roger Goodell, who are just go-along-get-along guys, just want to appease advertisers, appease corporate America and all that stuff," he said, "I figured, well, it is time for conservatives in Congress to step in and define morality for them."

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I never like it when politics tries to interfere with sports. Even with the steroid scandals, let the leagues handle it on their own.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
This guy clearly is an idiot. Aside from the actual content of what he is proposing there is no reason for the government to get involved in hiring decisions in professional sports.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I'd like the 1 Senate member and 5 House members who are purported to support this bill to step up so they can be egged and laughed at. I don't condone public shamings but I'll make this one exception. :D

This has clearly got to be a joke.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
YOU could lobby the GOP w/o being a republican. most lobbyist are lawyers who pander to whomever will help them with their agenda, until a republican who is actually ready to endorse this, there is nothing to it.
I love it.

Now a Republican Lobbyist isn't a Republican.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
YOU could lobby the GOP w/o being a republican. most lobbyist are lawyers who pander to whomever will help them with their agenda, until a republican who is actually ready to endorse this, there is nothing to it.
Sigh...... :rolleyes:

Google "Jack Burkman". I'm not going to do it for you.

guzhogi

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
2 questions: why is he going to Congress to do the ban and not the NFL leadership?

Why does he think that the NFL doesn't have morals if they allow openly gay players? They might just have different morals, which is not the same as having no morals.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
You could have tried scrolling to the top and reading the OP's first post. You would have found it right there.
I read that one, the guy seems to be a gem for sure, but he is nothing but a lobbyist, if he as a SENATOR or someone actually IN the GOVT I could see this as being an issue, just like others here I would like to know WHO is allegedly "backing" what he is proposing.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I read that one, the guy seems to be a gem for sure, but he is nothing but a lobbyist, if he as a SENATOR or someone actually IN the GOVT I could see this as being an issue, just like others here I would like to know WHO is allegedly "backing" what he is proposing.
I see your point in trying to get to the bottom of exactly who this particular brand of crazy belongs to, but the current relationship between lobbyists and legislators has become so incestuous it is hard to figure out WHAT is coming from WHO ? At the close of 2013 there were something like 28.42 lobbyists per congressperson, over 12,000 of them in DC.

Frustrated yet? LOL. Try this on for size.... Lobbying firms are trying to improve their image now by taking the "L" word out of their firms' name. Add to that the emerging, yet under-reported growing trend of "shadow lobbying", and now you've gone cross-eyed......

Link

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I see your point in trying to get to the bottom of exactly who this particular brand of crazy belongs to, but the current relationship between lobbyists and legislators has become so incestuous it is hard to figure out WHAT is coming from WHO ? At the close of 2013 there were something like 28.42 lobbyists per congressperson, over 12,000 of them in DC.

Frustrated yet? LOL. Try this on for size.... Lobbying firms are trying to improve their image now by taking the "L" word out of their firms' name. Add to that the emerging, yet under-reported growing trend of "shadow lobbying", and now you've gone cross-eyed......

Link
its a nasty business, watched a few videos from this guy, I am amazed hoe well composed he is, dude should be dragging his knuckles with the views he holds.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
are you aware that this is from a lobbyist & not a "republican"?
Sigh...... :rolleyes:

Google "Jack Burkman". I'm not going to do it for you.
I decided to Google him to find out whether he was some fringe player.

Apparently not ...

Jack Burkman, Top Lobbyist — Online Media Kit

At a Glance
Jack Burkman, founder and President of Burkman Associates, LLC, is a Washington, DC based political consultant and the #1 lobbyist in DC according to The Hill.

Media Experience
Burkman is the host of the nationally syndicated radio show “Behind the Curtain with Jack Burkman,” aired in 185 markets, on Radio America. Each week, he focuses on news stories that are under the surface or are not being covered at all by the mainstream media. Featuring strong investigative reporting and analysis, Burkman uses his experience to reveal the secrets that K Street tries to hide from the public.

Burkman also is a former Fox News conservative political analyst who routinely appears on MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, CNBC, Current and others.

http://thepublicityagency.com/publicity-agency-clients/jack-burkman-republican-strategist-radio-talk-show-host-online-media-kit/
Lobby firms sweep up new clients

J M Burkman & Associates signed 70 new clients last year, the most of any K Street firm.

Jack Burkman, the public and government relations shop's chief executive officer, says he is overly cautious when it comes to registering clients.

"We come from the school of thought that it pays to be squeaky clean, because lots of folks watch these registrations," he said. "So, if it's close, you file."

The four-lobbyist firm specializes in helping companies secure contracts with the federal government. Since it typically works with clients on a project basis, the firm also had nearly 40 client terminations last year.

“Lobbying has come into a watershed time, a lot of old stuff — like appropriations and earmarks — have gone away,” he said.

Burkman said his firm has signed up a number of new clients that want to take advantage of the Defense Department’s experimentation with energy efficiency technologies.

“The congressional [appropriations] piece has gone away, but the Defense Department is exploding,” he said. “Funding for fighter jets is down. But what are people doing? People are doing energy.”

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/196401-lobby-firms-sweep-up-new-clients

It sounds to me as if he's ...
A. publicity hungry
B. trying to drum up a radio audience
C. trying to drum up conservative lobbying clients
D. hoping to get a show on Fox News
E. all of the above​

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
“The congressional [appropriations] piece has gone away, but the Defense Department is exploding,” he said. “Funding for fighter jets is down. But what are people doing? People are doing energy.
Damn right they are. I started a new thread. :(

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
To add insult to injury, the Republican lobbyist has a gay brother.

Hey @MikeSamFootball. @Jack_Burkman is being an ass. http://bit.ly/jackassjack I'm his brother, and I'm gay and stand with you.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
What dumb people don't realize is gay people already shower with you in the gym, in the army, in the NFL etc.

Just because someone isn't open about it doesn't mean they're not gay. Just because a gay guy is showering in the same shower as you doesn't mean he's checking you out and/or wants to have sex with you.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
I love it. As long as republicans keep coming up with things like this, it makes me hopeful that voters will remember this stuff when they go to the polls....
It's not republicans....it's one. And he is an idiot. Hell, even Fox News was bashing him....that says a lot.

----------

What dumb people don't realize is gay people already shower with you in the gym, in the army, in the NFL etc.

Just because someone isn't open about it doesn't mean they're not gay. Just because a gay guy is showering in the same shower as you doesn't mean he's checking you out and/or wants to have sex with you.
Actually that isn't all true.:cool:

----------

I love it.

Now a Republican Lobbyist isn't a Republican.
Do you know what a lobbyist is?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I love to how this is supposedly not a Republican idea... yet when it is a Republican candidate that tries to push a bill that allows people to kick out gays from JUST ABOUT EVERYWHERE they love it.