GOP Obstruction of Cuban-American Judicial Nomination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

After months and months and months of delays and filibusters by the Republicans, Harry Reid had to invoke cloture to get a vote for the confirmation of a Cuban-American judge who had bi-partisan support and unanimous approval out of the Judiciary committee.

Here is an excerpt from Senator Leahy's statement on the GOP's constant obstruction related to judicial nominations, as well as other key appointments.

The cloture passed 89-5, yet the confirmation vote was again delayed!

By Rand Paul. Why the delay? Ostensibly because he doesn't like funding for Egypt when there are strained relations related to Americans being detained. Does anyone believe that the guy who was raised by Ron with all of his racial baggage, and who wants to repeal the Civil Rights Act, has held up this nomination over aid to Egypt?

Rand Paul decides to use yet another stall tactic, even AFTER the filibuster was broken on a completely unrelated issue, and that will further delay a transportation bill:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've read about the transportation bill. Holding it up is not a bad thing.

The obstructionism and acting like ****ing teenagers has to stop. I'd like to see a new law that states the Senate has 90 days to confirm or deny an appointment or they forfeit their right to advise and consent.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is how Washington works now, we just have to get used to a broken system.

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

No we don't. I understand using procedural stuff sparingly to oppose things that are far outside of what one or the other side can accept, but this is non-stop filibustering and delays of legislation and/or confirmations that aren't opposed. That is nothing more than a failure to govern.

Personally, I'd like to see the filibuster rules reformed, and perhaps a public that rebuked this type of behavior.

Yes, both sides have done it, and no that doesn't make it right. If the Democrats did this, I would be just as upset. However, I wouldn't be upset about either party trying very hard blocking a very controversial bill or nominee. I just think it should be reserved and harder to do.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would like to see them agree on just one thing and pass something, we have both sides bickering for the sake of it just to flex their muscle and show the base that they are tough. I want a total overhaul of how business gets done in Washington, kick everyone one out and start over. Just impeach every member of Congress for ruining the country.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not if you want the US to avoid the fate of Greece.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Modern or ancient? ;)

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If the candidate was a radical liberal or had some scandal hanging over his head I could see the appointment being controversial. But it seems the delays are simply "because we can"-style partisan jabs at the administration. What is the point?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Some ways I wish the dems would play hardball and say fine and just shut down the senate until the votes are passed (up or down). Some how I really do not think the GOP would be willing to run a true filibuster over this matter. In terms of PR the GOP could not stand taking the heat for being the ones locking things down.

Start forcing the GOP to do true filibusters and they would greatly reduce the number of times they do it to items that are worth it. Call the GOP on their threats.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Under current filibuster rules, you don't need to "make them filibuster." What they are doing is the same as an oldschool filibuster because under today's rules, you don't have to actually do anything to force a cloture motion. Democrats considered changing the rules, but they were afraid of what a radical right-wing might do, instead of making good arguments and convincing the people they were right. (That had to be a tough call in light of the 2010 midterm election results).

I respectfully disagree with "...we have both sides bickering for the sake of it..." There have been times when Democrats have disagreed with the Republicans, but there are actually Democrats who are conservative and who vote with the Republicans. There are NO moderate Republicans anymore. That's important because despite the right-wing rhetoric, President Obama's proposals are very centrist, and in almost any other period, would have garnered bipartisan support.

Today, the right should be ashamed of its behavior. If you are a Republican, you may want to keep that to yourself because the people you say represent your ideas are acting in a completely unprofessional and immature manner.

Can anyone imagine several members of a board of directors in a big corporation acting like the Republicans? "The largest shareholders get a special dividend or we won't vote for anything. Shut down the factory, we don't care!"

Can you imagine your parents acting like this? I have seen messy divorces with really crazy people that were able to work together with more maturity for the sake of the children.

I really respect people who have different opinions about things, and I really enjoy debating opposing issues with people, but when you are working with people you disagree with, even if you do not agree, you still have a job to do.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was thinking modern, but probably both.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

To keep other bills from reaching the floor, and thus add to Obama's arsenal of achievements come November. :rolleyes:

And, to 'use-up' his Presidency. ;)