GOP plan for 2018: run against the media

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting trick. I'm not sure it's going to work.

Let me say, the alt-right has done an absolutely wonderful job of smearing the real media. As imperfect as it always was, what we used to have was the legit media...and everybody else, much of which consisted of crazies printing wacko broadsheets in their basements. At least we used to have a pretty broad consensus on what were facts. And now, thanks to alt-right websites and right-wing television and radio stations, we don't.

Here's the problem with their plan. They're hoping to play off of distrust of the media. But which media do you distrust?

Do you recall that line from "1776"? "You should know that a rebellion in the first person is always legal, such as our rebellion. It is only in the third person, their rebellion, that is illegal."

The same may be said for media. If you're conservative, you distrust the Washington Post, the New York Times and CNN. If you're liberal, you distrust Breitbart, the Daily Caller and Fox. So who is their "running against the media" strategy going to work on? Their base? Surely. And that'll work in the primaries. But what about the general election?

We may have some pretty manipulative right-wing media, but they still haven't reached the level of Goebbels' Ministry of Propaganda or "1984"'s newspeak. I don't know if this is going to work on the general population.

And before you point out that it worked well enough to elect Donald Trump, let me argue that it's not working that well anymore. Trump, Sean Spicer and KellyAnne Conway are laughing stocks.

And the fact that conservatives are considering this is actually a sign of desperation. If Trump were doing as wonderfully as...well, as he thinks...why would they need to do this?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Eventually, the chickens come home to roost. The GOP can delay this by obfuscation for a while - but it's a fact. Political or otherwise.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

To quote an infamous man......sad.

How far Republicans have fallen.

4. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I realising am snipping your post to this little bit but that's the important part, I did read all of your post.

The answers you seek are in the 2016 election. Almost every single media outlet predict Hillary to win by a huge margin. They published so much dirt on Trump (and still do) while painting Hillary as a saint. In reality both sides were flawed to varying degrees.

Secondly if you think what random Republician politicians do will affect or change Trump's 2020 campaign, then you do not understand Trump at all. Trump ran in reality as an independant in style and message and only used the republican name to get elected as you have to be backed by one of the 2 majors to win.

Trump did not run a republican style election. Trump ran a Trump style election.

PS. I realise you hate Trump.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Both parties have fallen. Both aprties are in the dumps now. That's exactly what allowed Trump to win

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Are you kidding?

--- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---

agreed.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

If this is their strategy - I'm pretty sure they will fail. But twitter should be very interesting....

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Sowing distrust of media will only grow distrust of Republicans.

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Pratchett wove beautiful language on the philosophy of karma and how it affects you in the afterlife, if one exists, and how life turns out in your later years. All I'll say on the matter.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure why some people think Hillary was given a pass by the media in the election. I know it's a common trope here, but if you were a Hillary supporter, it sure as hell didn't feel that way.

As to the media blowing the prediction of victory for Hillary, that's the nature of polling. Demanding 100% precision on their predictions is unreasonable, particularly in an election as abnormal as the last one. No reason to throw out all trust in the media, any more than one bad forecast means your local meteorologist is incompetent.

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I think people were just very hinged on Silver's early expectations because he did so well with 2008 and 2012.

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

Hmm, maybe It's because the Wikileaks documents proved collusion between the DNC, HRC campaign and liberal MSM?

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Fundamentally disagree. In actuality, (some) American people have fallen, tossed previous morals and standards aside and voted for the guy who grabs P, kisses without asking, mocks disabled, celebrates violence for dealing with people who disagree, and lies habitually and pathologically. Basically everyone got suckered into voting for a fraud. Not that people like me were not sounding the warning. It was easy to see in his past endeavors. He's a BS artist. And he BS'd his way right into the White House. This is more an indication of lowered American standards rather than some great success on his part. Most people still voted for Hillary. That's just a fact. Trump only won because of the quirky electoral system the US has.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, if I may (partially) rebut:
    I'm not arguing your points - I agree. At the risk of putting words in your quoted posters' mouth - I believe he/she was potentially arguing a different point entirely. The Democratic party is a mess. They screwed up the Presidential Primaries, and more importantly, fundamentally mis-judged the Electorate. The GOP, on the other hand - is just a hot mess - they've catered to whoever will vote for them and our now juggling the repercussions...but yes, both Parties are in the dumps right now. The GOP doesn't need further elaboration, but to hammer the (D) point - who would run for President in 2020? Yeah.