GOP Proposes massive tax increase - cuts to medical coverage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Mar 18, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are you an employee of a company that provides health insurance? Does your insurance plan offer coverage for abortions? Soon one of three things will happen if the GOP/Tea Party gets its way. Either your employer will stop providing health insurance, your employer will have to pay a massive tax on that coverage (through the loss of significant tax incentives), or your coverage will be changed so that the women employees at your workplace will not have private health insurance coverage for abortion services.

Tax hikes? Interference in the free market? Eliminating the rights of individuals to choose? So much for free market, small government, jobs-first, pro-business conservatism. It was fun while it lasted never existed.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

please tell me this is mostly only limited to the nut case tea party republicans. I know that even the GOP have figured out that they can not work with the tea partiers. They have to work with the democrates to pass anything and go around the 60 or so tea party votes in the house.
    That being said I do think we need to start taxing health plans as income but give tax rebats/credits so for most people they are not effected but the reach get a more fair share and have to pay their fair share

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

In the linked article, the picture is Mitch McConnel and John Boehner, but I'm not sure who this is limited to. I doubt its limited at all. As we near another election, and especially as liberal issues heat up in places like Michigan and Wisconsin, these types of wedge issues will be pushed by the GOP. (My opinion/prediction, but I would be shocked if that were not true.)

Unions - check
    Minimum wage - check
    Abortion - check
    Illegal immigration - check
    Radicalization of American Muslims - check

What's next?

Flag burning?
    English as a national language?
    Opposition to Gun control that hasn't been proposed?

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Are you forgetting the big one? "TORT REFORM"

Then, maybe some kinda way to shove those twinky boys and crew-cut girls back into the closet.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You bring up an interesting point. If the GOP ever hopes to be a real party again, they should form a coalition with the Blue Dog Democrats. It would have the advantage of being such a large bloc that it would keep Congress (tea potty excepted) solidly to the center-right.

It would make them somewhat the masters of their own fate again, and possibly raise their status in the public eye as politicians who will actually reach across the aisle, work with people and get things done. Frankly, I think that portends a better future for them than trying to continue this really uncomfortable alliance with the tea nuts.

If they stick with the tea party, they'll end up going over the cliff with them. They need to throw them under the bus and get on with the country's business.