GOP Rep.: Big bang, evolution are lies straight from the pit of Hell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is not an article from the Onion:

Wow. :eek:

And this guy has responsible jobs as a doctor, national legislator and chairman of a panel on the House Science Committee??

I don't know if it is to laugh or to weep.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Love the setting ... a wall full of deer trophies.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But you fail to understand that guys like him need a saviour. :rolleyes:

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sadly, there are broad threats not only to Science funding, but, Science-based policies in so many areas. I am being forced to become a card-carrying Scientism-ist. When and where I grew up, Science was a kind of religion, now pejoratively referred to as Scientism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Well, you know what -- life was better under Scientism than it has been under Creationism.

5. rdowns, Oct 6, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Michele Bachman is on the House Intelligence Committee. Nothing surprises me.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I would assume you mean the House Intelligence Committee.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Maybe she shows up to the wrong meetings? That would explain why she doesn't seem to understand a damn thing about what goes on in them. :pa

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

These people should lose their jobs. They clearly cannot uphold the constitution.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

People are effing sick. People like this shouldn't be able to serve in government.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have to disagree with you. He's a product of his constituency. If they didn't want him, he wouldn't be there. He's a part of government because the people want him to be.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wrong. He's clearly advocating for one particular religion. That is forbidden in the constitution.

12. APlotdevice, Oct 6, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Unfortunately the fundamentalists in this country seem to interpret freedom of religion as meaning they can push their beliefs onto everyone else. Meanwhile the more moderate politicans tend to ignore these issues for fear of reprisal from the religious communities.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Each of you has a point.

I don't agree with the current use of evangelicals = fundamentalists, though. Once upon a time, before Ronald Reagan, a lot of evangelicals were actually liberals both politically and theologically. That seems to be no longer true, but, mathematically speaking, they are at independent variables.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

This is absolutely terrifying.

Jnpy has a point, I think Clinton was a liberal Baptist, who are evangelicals. He just didn't inject his beliefs into politics, as it should be.

But the idea that a young-earth believing nutcase can chair a panel on science... What is that?

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Point taken. I will correct the language of my post.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is he making a law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof?

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Clearly...

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anything for a buck.

(ducks tomatoes)

19. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It scares me that the belief in empirically verifiable evidence is seen as "a religion." As mentioned in other threads, very few other modern, industrialized countries still exist where religious fundimentalism is given equal footing with rational thought and scientific exploration.

As Americans, we seem to be losing sight of the distinction, and even informed citizens seem to be buying into the rejection of rational evidence because "science cannot explain everything." Explaining everything isn't the point, and never was. Gaining a well-founded understanding of the world around us is the aim of science.

Yet somehow, people like this who reject basic principles are allowed to chair investigative committees into the field they reject. It's ludicrous.

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Part of the problem is that they are attempting to graft on some sort of legitimacy to their beliefs by using names like creation science.

There's nothing scientific about it. It's all a Ministry of Truth-like manipulation of the language...much like Romney's use of "trickle-down" the other night.

And now they want us to see science as a "religion". They're trying to get truth and faith to switch places.

21. 63dot, Oct 6, 2012

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I remember my geology teacher talking about how some in the '50s said that Satan put the fossils there. I guess certain things have not changed from the day that some in the church would kill you if you thought the earth was something other than completely flat.

This video is really great weaponry for the opponents to this politician.

The scary thing is not what he's saying, because there are those who think that way. The scary thing is that he is actually educated, an MD. Where he gets the 9,000 year figure is a mystery. OK, I got it! God created Adam and Eve, then nearly three thousand years went by as if we were frozen in amber, then all of a sudden the rest of the Bible happened as to reconcile his 9,000 year remark with most creationists.

If the creationists are going to be consistent, read the Bible and pick a clear range instead of just saying, "thousands". But to be fair, it's usually thought to be about 6,000 years if taking the creation of man shortly after the planet and then counting the generations of man. At most, if the records are inaccurate, you may get close to 7,000 years. But saying 9,000 is no better than saying 14 billion.

22. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I was going to make a snarky comment about how I know this guy speaks the truth because God told me....but i deleted it because I didn't want to damn myself to the pits of Hell..

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I've been there, it's actually quite lovely this time of the year.

24. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have heard the women are hot