GOP Senators Call Christmas Senate Session “Sacrilegious”

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 16, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All I have to say is, who the hell do these guys think they are? Playing the Christmas card? Listen ass holes, do your jobs. As far as I'm concerned, you can have the 23rd off and get your asses back to work on the 27th. Is there nothing these guys are embarrassed to try?

Link

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's a job where people customarily get the holiday off. Lots of people would bitch about it, but you do what you have to do. Being in Congress doesn't really make this all that different, in my eyes.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

While simultaneously:

and:

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If the Republicans didn't delay everything, they'd probably all be home already. Congress has been in session the week between Christmas and New Year's many time before.

Take BV's example below of the reading of the START treaty. This treaty has had 19 hearings already, has every living Secretary of State endorsing it as well as all living Presidents except Bush 2. The only reason for the delay is politics and I for one have had it up to here with them.

And working between Christmas and New Years is "disrespecting one of the two holiest of holidays for Christians and the families of all of the Senate, not just the senators themselves but all of the staff.” Give me a break. I'll await the closing of Congress for Ramadan and Hanukah next year.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Until most Americans can take extended time off for the holidays because they are content enough to do so, you're not going to see me feeling bad for these poor Senators. Most people I know work right through Christmas eve, and have to be back to work the first day or two after Christmas. Why should I feel these Senators deserve any different?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I didn't say that. I haven't seen any comment on it by him. He has largely stayed out of the public eye except for his recent book tour.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This is indefensibly stupid.

Jim DeMint is a redneck and a hypocrite. He has no problem sending our young men and women into battle in Afghanistan during Christmas, but he can't plop his backside into a comfy congressional seat and do his job?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, the House has sent over 400 bills to the Senate which have not yet been acted upon.

They're lucky they don't have to stay there until the end of Obama's second term.

Also, DeMented has no idea what "sacrilegious" means. Sacrilege is holding people's unemployment benefits hostage, in the worst economic times in decades, so you can get tax cuts for the rich.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what I was thinking. What a jerk.

13. 184550 Guest

It would also appear that President Obama and the rest of Congress have the same problem. ;)

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Then they can fly home the 24th, spend Christmas with their family, and fly back to Washington the 26th. Many people just get Christmas off and have to travel at inconvenient times to visit their family on Christmas. Congress is no different.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, I think running a country is more important than holiday breaks. These people hold the most influential jobs in the country and complain about this when there are countless Americans who have to work the holidays in much more mundane positions? If your duty requires working on the holiday than they better damn well do it

Hard to have any sort of sympathy at all

16. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sympathy? It's a friggin' part time job that pays $174,000 plus all kinds of crazy expensive benefits, not to mention a huge staff.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Actually, Senator, that'd be Easter. So git back to work.

What a bunch of... actually, what is the collective word for a group of Ar**holes?
    :confused:

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I like clutch. :)

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Excellent!
    I shall certainly be making use of those. :D

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My though is that is what you get for trying to keep anything from going threw. GOP Senators should suffer the mess they made with trying to keep anything from getting done.

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can add me to that list. I don't expect wars to pause for holidays, nor should our soldiers. It isn't the fact that people fight through holidays that I'm criticizing; it's the fact that DeMint and other fatcat congresspeople are ridiculously entitled to think they deserve a holiday. If it were up to me I'd lock the whole mob up until they finished their work.

This fool DeMint is using a disgustingly disingenuous pretense that even a schoolboy would be ashamed of.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A puckering of arseholes sounds about right.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How about a cling-on of asreholes, because that's what they do best.

24. 184550 Guest

I agree.

25. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Maybe if the GOP wants to get out of town by Christmas they should stop with all the obstructionism and actually start getting to work.

They are going to tie up days with absurd things like reading the full text of the bill and then complain that things are taking too long? It's ridiculous, hypercritical, and childish.