GOP sends out SOS for convention volunteers (did we mention you can drink 'til dawn?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm sorry, and I admit upfront I'm being a little smug about this, but you have to admit this does have its amusing side...if you're not a Republican:

But, you ask, what about the drinking?

Ya think these two stories are related? ;)

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, I lived in San Diego most of my life and even though I don't drink I noticed the major restrictions on alcohol here in the Twin Cities when I moved here. I remember the Republican Convention in San Diego in 1996, and they were a very rowdy bunch who spent a ton of time at the bars during off convention hours, and if the demeanor of these people are anywhere close to the 96 crowd, they are going to be pretty disappointed in what they find here.

For example, this area doesn't do much after dark normally, and most late night happenings are occurring in Minneapolis. St. Paul, by contrast, becomes almost a ghost town after 6 PM most days (at least back when I worked downtown there a couple years ago). So yeah, I can see the St. Paul City Council bending over backward to attempt to keep as much of the revenues in St. Paul as possible because Minneapolis is only about a 20 minute bus ride away.

Honestly, remembering the 96 convention in San Diego, I was shocked and amazed that they were going to have it here. I don't know what the St. Paul City Council did to sell them on having it here, but I really would have loved to see that song and dance. :eek:

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist