GOP Strategy: Senate - Filibuster everything House - Work less

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

CNN

2. Queso macrumors G4

There will be two years of utter paralysis. That was predicted even before the November results were known.

Just what the USA needs right now I would have thought. Hooray for the two party system eh?

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

The GOP is abusing the "system".
    Eventually the Dems will catch up and it will be officially broken.

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

What frustrates me is that I grew up liking parts of what the Republicans stood for and parts of what the Democrats stood for. Government was supposed to be the people electing representatives who would go to Washington to hammer out their differences, make compromises and work with each other, knowing that those on the other side of the isle represent Americans too. That system usually resulted in compromises from both sides and a government that was pretty much in the middle.

I'm not sure when it started, but the Republicans have been campaining and governing for years now on an all or nothing platform. A "we get what we want... or else" philosophy. I'm sorry, but they only represent about 1/2 of the American people, so why is compromise such a bad word?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Because the party hierarchy is now stuffed with people that genuinely believe only conservatives can be real Americans. It's why you now encounter so many ex-Republicans. They don't identify with the philosophy of the Dems, but cannot stomach the people in charge of what was their political home.

6. 184550 Guest

I thought that it was rather ironic you posted this and then the Democrats decided to do this.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And they were right to do so. They have to start standing up to the Republicans on this, or they will be seen as wimps. They know that very well. It's about time they grew a pair and stood up to the Republicans. The rest of us are tired of watching them cave. The Republicans have to learn that they need to give some ground too.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really, there are two reasons behind it. The superficial one could be depicted as placing the modal average of the American attitude at the middle of a percentile scale (50), where the Republican party, most recently with the assistance of the Tealiban have moved from around the 40th percentile (1978 or so) to around the 15th, while also trying with some success to convince us that America is really around the 25th ("the nation is mostly like us").

The contributing factor is the effect of how American democracy is designed (which I take from comments of a pundit complaining about how the British system is designed): to get elected into power, you have to be a smooth talker (i.e., good with a dairy farm shovel). Normal people, like teachers, plumbers, programmers, chefs, etc., do not make up the bulk of government, those few are overwhelmed by the BS artistes. Because of this, millions of voters end up supporting causes that go against their own best interests, and an election win of 50.001% becomes a mandate.