GOP Townhalls go Pay-Per-View, GOP congressman bans protestors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Aug 16, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Teapublican congressmen are really bringing the crazy this Tuesday morning.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61454.html

Meanwhile, in Colorado:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-no-protest_n_927763.html?ir=Politics#s330828

Charging admission to a townhall is stupid, unfair to your constituents, perhaps unethical. But banning protesting at your taxpayer funded congressional office, I don't see how that's not a violation of the first amendment.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He can't ban protesting outside a public office. It's not private property. He's gonna get his butt handed to him for sure.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I hope some people get on the public property/sidewalk with a loud speaker during the entire event protesting.

I also think it is very said that they are making theses events go pay-per-view but it would be nice if some of the people against them sadly pay to get in and use that an a huge excuse to make more noise and ask some really damaging questions.
    I mean it will look really bad to throw out someone who paid to be there just because they ask hard questions.

4. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I hope every stop on Obama's bus tour is protested with extreme noise. That's what democracy looks like!

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hey I would not say anything but charging to talk to your congressman in townhall is very wrong. It is pretty clear they are way to chicken to deal with the people they are screwing over.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why shouldn't people be able to protest if they like?

7. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I fail to see the point of shouting so loud other people's thoughts are drowned out. You call it democracy, I call it tyranny or thugocracy.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would be protesting in the street on the grounds that they are charging us entry fee to talk to the congressman.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...so you think people should be prevented from voicing their opinions to their leaders in public? Really?

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How about that. The Republicans even figured out a way to put a price on freedom of speech.

I'm sorry, paying for access to your congressman at a town hall, and figuring out a way to "miniaturize" the $250-a-plate dinner, is a new low in sleaze.

And having to hide from your constituents doesn't speak very well to your policies, does it?

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Paying for access to your congressman has a proud history - it's called being a major campaign contributor. Gives you access, and if the contribution is large enough, serious influence. If you have enough money you, too, can buy yourself a congressman. ;) :rolleyes:

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ Sure, but...at a town hall? Where everyday guys like you and me go?

Next I anticipate those online forms you use to contact your congressmen will come complete with required fields for how much you're donating for the privilege of sharing your thoughts, with amounts listed in $25 increments, along with which credit card you want to charge it to.

13. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Honestly why do you care? If these townhalls will give a black mark to the GOP, so much the better right? Why are liberals outraged at an activity that will increase their chances at the ballot box?

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yeah!!

At least if they threw a bingo, $25 would get you a fist-full of cards and a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.

Oh, wait ..... never mind.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Because it's still wrong.

I wonder, is the $15 fee even constitutional? The First Amendment says you have the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. Your representative is the most fundamental member of government you can talk to at any time. By placing a fee on asking him a question, Ryan could in fact be limiting who can speak to him in an unconstitutional way.

If there is a concern that too many will show up to speak with the representative, a lottery system could be used which would control the time length of the meeting and still allow anyone (even those without $15) to ask the rep a question.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, from that aspect I'm not. If it makes the Republicans look even worse, so much the better.

But given how Washington's acted lately, if this catches on in the GOP I could see the Dems copying it, as if this were some kind of Cold War arms race.

"Mr. President -- we cannot allow a money shaft gap!"

17. 184550 Guest

Thanks for the laugh.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why is that funny?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK "Buck", you can sit down now. ;)

He thinks it's funny that some people are still naive enough to actually believe in the Constitution. It is apparent that he doesn't.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Because it isn't factual.

Ryan or any congressperson isn't constitutionally required to hold town hall meetings, or even campaign.

There are many avenues available to petition your congressperson.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, but generally they have to be made available on the basis of equal protection. Charging a fee is not an even handed way to meet constituents.

To my knowledge, there is no precedent which permits a politician to request money before speaking with his/her constituents. The reason is quite simple: it's called a bribe.

22. FX120, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

There are thousands of private fund raising events held every campaign season which always have a ticket price attached if you want to get in. You want to get a better seat? You pay more. Does the person already have some real power? Then you pay alot more.

If you don't have the money or are put off by it, you're always free (literally) to send an email, send a letter, or request a meeting with them at their office. Now if those avenues were closed, we might have a problem. But they're not, and this is nothing new.

Hell the last time Biden was in town here, admission was $1000 a plate. Fortunately, I was able to eat for free.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You keep confusing a fundraiser with a constituent meeting.

They are not the same thing. Town hall meetings are intended to give constituents easy access to their representative when they wouldn't otherwise have the ability to contact them.

If Ryan wants this to be a simple fundraiser, fine. He shouldn't dress it up as if it's a meeting with his constituents, because it's not if he's demanding money from them. In other circles, that would be called a racket.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think there's a difference between asking legitimate and critical questions in the middle of a "townhall" meeting and active protest. Both can be effective, but there is a time and place for both.

Calling it tyranny indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the word (little hint, the root of tyranny is tyrant), and calling legitimate protestors "thugs" ignores the value of protest in America. Historically, the 'thugs' have almost always been employed by corporations and governments, who used beatings, tear gas, and gun fire to break-up protests. That's not to say that protestors have always acted honorably, often shifting from protest to vandalism and looting, but calling someone who interrupts a meeting by speaking a thug is wrong.

That said, this is ridiculous. Voters should be able to access their representative and do so freely. A charge acts as a kind of poll-tax.

25. FX120, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

You make no sense. What does it matter what it is called?

Did you read the article quoted in the OP?

The article referred to Ryan's event as a "Town hall style" event (whatever that means), Ryan never called it a town hall. The article even specifically said in the second line that he *wasn't* holding any open to the public town hall events.

It then continues with:
    I guessed you missed that part.