GOP worries over effect of Trump on future electorate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Oct 27, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The GOP already had a reputation for conducting "a war against women." Now after Trump's campaign, male and female Republicans alike who are involved in politics wonder where to start picking up the pieces of a situation he has made worse for their electorate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...8f8fa4-9b94-11e6-b3c9-f662adaa0048_story.html

Christine Matthews, a Republican pollster, said in an interview that Democrats no longer have to push a “war on women” narrative because it’s playing out on its own thanks to Trump — and comments like those that Gingrich made on Tuesday.

“It’s just one more clueless middle-age-to-older white guy taking to task a woman,” Matthews said. “It’s so unhelpful on every level.”

Nicolle Wallace, former communications chief for George W. Bush who is now a political commentator, tweeted that Republicans are now “engaged in a hot war against women that will end badly” for the party.

“Men like @newtgingrich are a big reason the GOP has lost women,” Packer wrote in another tweet. “Men like him don’t make women like me want to share a ‘tent’ w/them.”

=====

John Weaver, a GOP consultant who worked on the presidential campaigns of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, said he is stunned by “the misogyny, the lack of understanding of where this country is now” coming from Trump’s campaign.

“If you have a gender gap the size of the Snake River Canyon, why do you trot out Newt Gingrich, and [former New York mayor] Rudy Giuliani and your nominee to talk about it and further make it worse?” said Weaver, noting that all three men have been married three times. “The only ones I can see who seem to be obsessed about sex in this campaign are those three people.”

Weaver continued: “He’s going to lose the general election, and the credit goes to the women of America who are saving us from this guy.”

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

The Washington Post is a very reputable news source.

They are totally not running propaganda for Hildabeast.

I'd read them a lot and contemplate on their stories.

3. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sounds good. ;)

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Either the Post is correct and the foolish GOP is going to be haemorrhaging women supporters, or the middle-aged/old white guys are right and they can keep go on belittling women with impunity. Frankly I believe the Post, and I hope the GOP continues down the track it is taking so that we can be finally rid of it...

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Except for when the middle-aged/old white guys are wrong in having their racism (or, better yet, denounced by other middle-aged/old white guys) or when Democrats end up looking no less racist since the GOP has no monopoly on the practice... so, please everyone, let's stick to issues and can the generalized racist/ageist ******** unless there is a direct correlation to the issue, but that also depends on the actual issue...

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

All these squishy RINOs don't understand that Trump is just expanding the GOP brand by being sociopathic ***holes to new demographics.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

^ Well, the GOP has been going for the bat$#!+ vote for years now. Guess Trump figured they weren't trying nearly hard enough.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

There is no "picking up the pieces" for the GOP. It's dead. Let it die and the wind take the ashes away.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't totally agree - but we are on the same page. I don't even blame Trump for this entirely - although he was definitely one of, if not the last straw. Another big blow to the GOP was picking Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate. If they had chosen someone else, McCain might have actually won. During the past several years, those who were motivated by her had no where to turn until Trump ran. I do think (my assumption only and to borrow a turn of phrase) that a vacuum was created when McCain/Palin lost where Trump's current supporters were not born per se - but became (even) angrier at Washington and politicians. Trump was/is their "white knight."

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Actually we need to go one step before that. McCain never should have been nominated. Same with Dole. Same with Clinton. The parties need to get away from nominating someone because "it is their turn".

Why can't either party nominate someone who the voters want to vote for instead of voting against the other nominee? Obama was an outlier.

But yes, Caribou Barbie was a bad choice.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'm going to be flippant here. The words "no" and "****" come to mind.

12. cube macrumors G5

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Or the war on Christians?

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The war on women is for the most part a false narrative of the types both parties try to use to pander for votes. I say for the most part since some people consider pro life to be a war on women. Also, both parties have representatives that people consider anti-woman.

As far as Trump, I agree that the DNC will continue to use for many years the comments that Trump has made (not just on women).

My favorite false narrative is that the NEA does everything it does for the children :).
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    I would agree with that. Christians are one of the few unprotected classes.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Religion is a protected class.

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Funny thing about the War on Women. It is only relevant when it provides an advantage. What I don't understand it why the left (you know the ones that complain about the GOP's WoW) want to give as many muslims as it can free entry into this country given the way muslims treat women. Why in the hell is that not ever brought up? Same argument can be made about their treatment of gays.

Everyone keeps wanting to talk about the death of the GOP, but before the left knows what hit them they will be living under Sharia law.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh please.

Trump has a problem with women. That's a fact. Instead of trying to reach out to them, he sends out uber-misogynists Gingrich and Giuliani.

Who are these people who want to bring in as many Muslims as possible or are you just spouting ******** talking points?

Living under Sharia law? Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Spare us the fear mongering.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I'll admit Trump has an issue, but I think it is related to his personality rather than a systemic hatred. He has many women in his organizations at high levels. Funny about how the Clinton Foundation pays women less than men and no one says a word.

So maybe bring as many in is overstating the issue, but mention keeping them out and all hell breaks loose on the left.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Christian baker says no to a gay wedding cake and the left pounces.

Muslim baker says no and crickets.

19. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Are we gonna have to listen to you people whine about Starbucks cups again this year? :D

20. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I never whined about it. They are a private company and can do what they want. People can choose to go there or not on their own. This is one thing I really could really care less about.

21. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Ah, the whole bakery/cake thing still got you down? Turn that frown upside down.

22. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

A Muslim baker refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding? When and where? Cite or retract.

If true, he should have been pounced on. Gets no slack from Yours Truly.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

24. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

There you go again. Given the way some fundamentalist muslim sects treat women. Kinda like the way some Christian fundamentalist sects treat women. The problem is not the overarching religious umbrella, it's people deploying assorted narrowminded options for trying to get over. Like it's possible to deplore what happened at Waco and still think David Koresh was a lunatic.

Still y'all should give me some credit for putting quotation marks around "the war on women" in title and my OP.

(Grouch today because snowy and wintry before even Halloween. I like cold weather, but in appropriate sequence, like when I rule the world there will be law, order, four seasons and a partridge in a pear tree for all who are patient)

25. chown33 macrumors 604

Put your jack-o-lantern on skis. Or a tiny snowmobile.