Gordon Brown's Gaffe....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8649853.stm

So this was rising up in the news this morning... initially, it appeared that he perceived her as having some nasty remarks directed towards Eastern Europeans, but I skimmed through her rambling and didn't hear much of that.

What was notable to me is that there was very little listening going on -- I was surprised by how many times Mr. Brown interrupted her to inject his speaking points.

The article also goes on to talk about the ramifications of his behavior...

As I understand it, Mr. Brown has been decried for being fairly aggressive with his staff -- going on tirades, berating people, and perhaps being physically violent as well. I don't know if that plays into it?

So I'm curious on our Britons and their take... just a gaffe (the woman certainly did seem rather a pain in the arse) or meaningful in understanding Mr. Brown? As I understand it, Mr. Cameron also had a recent similar embarrassing moment....

2. Queso macrumors G4

I'm bored of this story already TBH. We all know he can be a complete tosser at times, but this is a distraction from the real issue, namely what the next government of this country are going to do to secure economic growth without having to kill the jobs of half the population to achieve it.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... it seems (from a foreign point of view) that the major candidates, Brown and Cameron in any event, have very little of substance to say about how they intend to solve any problems, and the media over there is filling in with circus theatrics out of boredom. :p

4. Queso macrumors G4

^^^ A very good observation. They're all too scared to be too honest as whoever wins it has to be tax rises and spending cuts. The stupid thing is that everyone you speak to realises this, so who are they trying to fool? We all know what's coming, and why it has to.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

I agree. Right now I don't want a PM who talks nice to random folk, I want one who can dig us out of this s**t hole!

Also, anybody else notice the fine example of young British voters, in the background as she's being interviewed by SkyNews? :p

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's certainly a yawn-fest compared to American elections. :D

The question is, where will the people who are fed up with Brown go? To the Lib Dems, the Conservatives, or someone else? I agree with mkrishnan, none of Brown's opponents seem very dynamic.

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We're going through a similar thing on a local level here -- on the radio this morning, the city government was describing the service cuts (laying off police and fire workers, terminating park services) that would be necessary without a tax hike. I guess that the difference is that there are people here who believe that the government can just be cut back in painless ways (they suggest saving money on payroll, pension, and benefits for city workers, but they propose no means to do this) instead of taking a small hit in taxation.

8. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This is the most exaggerated news story I've seen in a while. It's making a big deal out of something that in reality is barely even newsworthy. So what? Gordon Brown called a woman a bigot --- I can understand that position. He could have said much worse things that than that would have been newsworthy. I don't agree with his politics but this is the type of thing I could imagine anyone saying in the heat of the moment. Certainly not the 'defining moment of the election' as ITV News described it as.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Good grief, I hope not. I've seen enough soundbiting and swift-boating in politics. Of course, the media have discovered that substantial political debate is not as interesting as gaffes and mudlsinging.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

edit: I'm an idiot and need to learn my directions again.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Western?

Welcome to US politics.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We're very western Europeish as it happens. The woman would likely have been referring to nationalities such as Poles, Czechs and Lithuanians 'coming over here and taking our jobs' etc etc.

13. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The UK is Western Europe. Eastern Europe refers to any of the former Soviet bloc countries. Western Europe is more prosperous and this is where the real distinction comes from. Since some of the Eastern countries were allowed to enter the EU the free movement of people has led to an influx of economic migrants seeking a more prosperous life.

14. remmy macrumors 6502a

ITV News is probably the most over dramatised and full of BS there is on TV.

15. unid macrumors regular

I think the quote from the woman was "..All these Eastern Europeans, where are they coming from"
    coverage not content that's the strategic pr.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm going to have a stab at eastern Europe?

17. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. Eastern Europe perhaps? :D

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I left ITV on after the Champions League semi-final and inadvertently watched ITN news. As a result, I'm feeling slightly stupider than I did earlier in the evening. :eek:

19. Queso macrumors G4

The good thing about this election is at least it's stopping ITN putting on their usual celebrity obsessed crap. Sadly only another week or so to go.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ah, no – there was a big feature on the première of some film or other starring some famous actress or other. I don't recall them asking about her views on immigration or where she stands on proportional representation, though.

21. Queso macrumors G4

Was that the Jennifer Lopez one? I think I got offered tickets for that.

Said no. :p

22. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Just compare how news items are ranked compared to the BBC, but then put it against something like 'Live From Studio Five' and ...

mkrishnan - quote: What was notable to me is that there was very little listening going on -- I was surprised by how many times Mr. Brown interrupted her to inject his speaking points.

On another forum those supporting Gordon Brown have the opposite view; the lady doing the interrupting. How we see things ...

Mr Brown is currently at a factory in Halesowen, sadly he wasn't welcomed by a Tony Robinson/Baldrick voiced gentlemen proclaiming with glee: "No bigots here Mr Prime Minister".

Cheers,
    OW

23. iGav macrumors G3

If that were truly the case, by definition surely he would've said it to her face in haste in the actual heat of the moment, not after being all cordial and 'chipper' with her.

As far as I can see it, the issues are not just that he called her "bigoted" but more his demonstrable two-facedness, that previously had only been hinted at by the political media.

That's why the Conservatives poll rating dropped like a stone after Cameron was blunt and upfront and spoke of (the much needed) age of "austerity", this of course was matched by a rise in Labours rating, whilst Brown (the man, who even now seems pathologically incapable of mentioning the "C" word at all) was still harping on about Labour investment versus Tory cuts.

You know, I really don't think the average person realises. At. All.

24. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

iGav - quote: You know, I really don't think the average person realises. At. All.

Maybe a mix of those who don't know and those who know, but are blocking it out and don't like to be reminded.

6.1 million employed in and around the Public Sector, just a 5% cut and we're circa 300,000 jobs.

Cheers,
    OW

25. Zaid macrumors 6502

The average voter doesn't. They're think what they're fed by the media. Often without any rational thought or questioning. Often with a narrow minded view and too often swayed by emotional appeals than by reasoning and logic. But that's the same everywhere surely.

Churchill had it right when he said that the best argument against democracy was spending 10 mins with the average voter.