Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Sep 30, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Just found this article interesting. Gore Vidal is always entertaining to read! ;) A bunch of interesting nuggets in here I thought you all might want to debate. Some of my favorites are bolded. Truly fascinating perspective.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What a fine example of a human piece of garbage

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What a bitter, nasty old queen. This is exactly the kind old homo I hope to never become- angry, mean, miserable and unpleasant. I was trying to find one positive thing in that ramble,and there wasn't one.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, but anyone who supports a piece of crap like McVeigh has no credibility. Like Lee said, he sounds like a bitter old man, I feel sorry for him.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- how can you take anyone who supports McVeigh seriously?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While I fully expect this to be a flamefestt on this guy. One thing I noticed in the look threw is he bash both parties pretty evenly and in some way he is right. I will not disagree that our polititains are ruining this country. They only care about getting more power for themselves no matter who they have to step-on crush or even kill to get there.

My question is for the people who will flame this guy, how many of you would of been praising him he this was written a year to 18 months ago while Bush was still in power? I bet money that there would be tons of support from the same people who will flame him.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You've got to be joking!

Seriously, no one is that pathetically partisan.

8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

your new here aren't you?

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I bet not. Overall even now he is less critical of the Democrats and it doesn't make someone's opinions more valid just because they bash both parties. I don't even agree with what he thinks about the Republican Party. And find his McVeigh sympathy creepy.

This crap really bothers me:

Same mentality as the swiftboating of Kerry.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Um, no. I would not praise anyone who supports a terrorist, I don't give a damn who or what else they are criticizing. I can't speak for the other liberals here, but I think it's a safe bet that none of them would praise someone who supports a piece of **** like McVeigh either.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Agreed. (and I think most would apply the "liberal" lable to me)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No f***ing way. BTW- he slams Bush and McCain pretty hard in this article, and goes easy on Obama. Sorry- he gets no support at all, no matter what. Vidal has become an awful, delusional person.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While the PRSI has a liberal leaning, I believe most wouldn't have supported Vidal's rant. The one person who might have was SMM who submitted an article saying how Bush would use the military to try and stay in power. As I recall SMM was criticized by most members.

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

This is truly sad.

I used to enjoy his rants and his early work…

But ever since his move back to the US from Italy (and the death of his long-suffering long-term partner) he has become increasingly bizarre and irrational.

Death comes too late for some.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats exactly what I meant. What does whoever is in office have to do with this piece of scum?

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's the first time I've ever heard someone be called over-educated, but I think that the point is very valid. Obama has somehow managed to over-estimate his opposition, while at the same time under-estimating their stupidity... but unfortunately the stupidity is winning against facts. It's so much easier to say "yeah, but what about the Death panels" than to have an intelligent conversation that requires, heaven forbid, thinking!

I can't agree with everything that is being said, but I definitely feel like the world of insta-communication makes it much harder to figure out facts and truths from myth and lies. I have a facebook, twitter, etc..., and I don't know how to avoid using them, without getting left in the technological dust.

It's really a no-win situation, and I can only pray - yes, pray, in this day and age - that technology that created this hell of information overload can find a way to fix it, so that people can go back to making intelligent and somewhat informed decisions that are actually beneficial to society, not just complaining about tire prices like my one friend just twittered... :(

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

This is the only quote that resonated with me:

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I wish Obama would man up in a lot of ways. I supported the guy from the day he announced his candidacy - I just want to see him drop this futile attempt to work with people who stop at nothing to discredit him. Simply put, ignore the screaming crazies, and get some s**t done.

As for the rest of the article, Vidal comes across as a bitter, self important, mean old queen.

Support for McVeigh? WTF?? :confused:

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I disagree, there was a large underestimation of the right or he would have made a larger preemptive knowledge strike and not left any holes in his plans for republicans to exploit.

The right isn't exactly unpredictable in what they were going to try doing.

19. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i can tell the majority of you don't even know anything about gore vidal let alone his correspondence with mcveigh. he doesn't SUPPORT mcveigh's actions. but they agreed on a point that government was getting out of control. that was really about it.

honestly do you people just read dumbed down fox headlines and sound bites and react instantly or something? not surprised that the US is currently the joke of the world.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, this nut job just can't keep his trap shut. Interviewers remarks in bold, Vidal's responses not bolded. He is just a despicable person.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200910u/gore-vidal

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- he needs some help. What an ass. He's become a caricature.