Gorrila Glass, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Sep 24, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Does Apple use Gorilla Glass (tm) on its iDevices?
    If so, why Apple does not state it? Why can't the mfg say Apple uses it it?

If not GG, is it equivalent and made by who?

I know Apple said it did use GG with first iPhone, but using that name was dropped.

Thanks

2. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

I believe it uses GG2. Apple doesn't like to focus on the specs because its easy for other phones to compete with the iPhone in terms of specs. This is the reason apple never officially said how much RAM ip5 has. Lots of phones do/can use GG2, have 1 gig ram, etc so it's better they ignore those specs and focus on the stuff other phones don't have.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Samsung produces the CPU, Sony supplies the Camera sensor, Corning the Glass, .....

Do you really expect Apple to list all OEM parts suppliers?

Manufactures are covered by NDA's.

Maybe Apple could start putting stickers on their products/packaging to help.:eek:

4. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I didn't see anything in iFixit's teardown. Surely they would have said something about it, yes?

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Isn't the A6 chip designed by Apple?

Edit: I guess I should say, its Apple designed, but who manufactures it is what I do not know.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Corning, as well as Apple, did state they use gorilla glass in the iPhone over a year ago...

7. waronxmas macrumors newbie

That's not true. Apple doesn't focus on specs because it's irrelevant. "Normal people" don't care how much RAM, or processors, or how many backflips the hardware can do. Rather, they focus on how responsive the phone is, how easy it is to use, etc. This is what Apple focuses on and the reason why they are so widely successful (this applies to all of their product lines). I am truly surprised more companies haven't figured this out yet.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, as well as the iPhone itself, but name 1 Apple owned factory?

Samsung built

9. wutang61 macrumors regular

Apple doesn't focus on specs because on paper it falls short of other competitors. Even though The real world performance is on par or higher.

Ip5 1.2 dual core 1gb ram
    Gs3 1.4 dual core 2gb ram.

It's as simple as that

10. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree and disagree with you... I was trying to explain the benefit of A6 and its significance to my friend. He is smart, and tech savvy... but it wasn't worth my effort because he just did not get it.

But it is amazing how often some of the Android fans I know talk about specs. I hear specs come up a lot, but most of the time... the people do not know what they are talking bout... yet, they still do it. The 1 GB RAM would have made more sense to mention than anything else that was left out or worded as "Twice as much RAM as the 4S" could have worked

----------

Are you sure it wasn't MicroSoft?? lol

So Samsung did manufacturer the A6 chip? I knew Apple did not manufacture the chip directly, but I did not know if they owned the company that did do it.

Additional: Just saw the link in your post.

11. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

As mentioned elsewhere, all iPhones have almost certainly used GG, and the 5 probably uses GG2. I agree it would be nice if they mentioned it, but that isn't how they usually do things. Apple sells an apple product, not an apple product with Samsung this and Sony that and Toshiba here and Corning there. I like to know the guts and little tidbits and whatnot, just for curiosity's sake.. But I still like the phone. :)

12. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

Yeah I disagree. If specs were irrelevant apple wouldn't have focused on the A6 so much; they would've just talked about how fast it was. Apple also wouldn't have focused on their new LTE chip combining LTE and CDMA nor their new camera optics.

Apple does focus on specs WHEN it can provide a level of user experience that other phones don't have. GG2 and their 1 gig of ram doesn't provide anything other phones don't, so they left those out. There's nothing wrong with what they do: it's called marketing.

13. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Exactly. When it comes to a pissing contest over specs, then phones become a commodity item with nothing other than raw specs differentiating them (Android)