Gosh, the Space Grey 5S is a pretty piece of kit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjinsjca, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Just arrived via UPS.

Unpacked. Simply stunning. It's almost a gunmetal grey...

I've heard lots of oohing and ahhing about the gold one and thought this one deserved a little love. It's just phenomenally beautiful.

2. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I completely agree! I would love to have both but I'm glad I went with the black! And it is more of a gunmetal which I really like.

3. Exio macrumors regular

Pics please! Need something to be jealous of.

4. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more. I was a big fan of the slate and really didn't like the way Space Gray looked from seeing pics of it on the internet, but once I had mine in person I fell in love. I'm very glad I didn't go with the silver or gold because I don't like the colored ring around the home button!

5. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I got the space gray as well. I had toyed with the notion of trying out a silver one, but I opened the gray today. Glad I kept that one, the color is awesome!

Phone came out of the box pristine and good to go. (no scuffgate or whatever it's called).

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

Indeed. Don't care for gold but I had a hard time between the silver and black this time. Looks sleek, and much better in person.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

The black 5s is a beautiful piece of technology.

The color reminds me of the original 2G iPhone (also a beautiful design).

I'd take it anyday over white, gold, or even slate.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Yep, space grey is awesome. Love the color and I want a black screen

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It really is the nicest looking iPhone since the first one, and it looks like an updated version of the first one. Makes me a little sad to put a case on it.

10. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Pics don't do this one justice. No photo I could take would be any better than what's on Apple's site, and very likely much worse.

If you haven't seen this in person yet, you're in for a treat. It's a work of art.

11. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

colours like grey and or silver (and black too) are really great because, even if not as visually eye-catching at first glance, you won't tire of them in the long run.

12. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Very good point.

There's a reason "basic black" is a classic color for high-end dresses.

Ditto "Oxford Grey" for men's haberdashery.

Looks good with everything. Overshadows nothing. Clashes with nothing.

Of course, color is just one aspect of it. The 5S is simply beautiful, really could not be more so. This is my third iPhone, and I thought they wouldn't be able to top the 4 for beauty, but this one... just, wow.

13. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

The AT&T rep at my store on Friday kept telling customers that the only 5s that they received were the "spaceship gray" models. :)

14. blen macrumors regular

blen

Coming from the slate iPhone 5, I'm actually preferring the Space Gray. It's closer to the iPhone 4 design, which I really loved.

15. scottish macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to receive mine (obviously). I had a hard time choosing between the silver and gray. I have a black iPhone 4 and was wondering if it was time for a complete change but I think I've made the right decision.

I don't have an Apple store near me so tried to see it in local carrier shops but they attach them to a metal clamp which means you can't see the back, get a feel of the phone and its weight, use the camera etc.

Very frustrating but it is nice to think that the first time I see it in the flesh it will be mine. That is if Apple hurry up and dispatch the thing!

16. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Subtle difference from my black 5. After sync it was covered with a super thin black case. Other than the grey buttons peeking through, it's easy to forget it's the S model. I guess the button might give it away.

17. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

There's something generic about black iPhones.

18. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Heres some pics I must say that yes it is different and yes I do like it.I cant lie I did want white or gold but you know what really I'm just glad to finally have it and it was honestly a suprise because I was so gold shocked that I had totally overlooked the new color on the 5s!

19. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Sorry they didnt upload first time!

Attached Files:

20. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I love the Space Gray! It's gorgeous!

I considered one of the others, primarily the silver, but really don't like the white…

But the Space Gray is very close to being a flat silver with the black.

21. nas2344 macrumors member

22. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I'm going to use that word now....haberdashery...

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Agree about how good the space grey looks. It just doesn't come across in pictures but in person it just looks very classy and elegant. I think it's really the edges which are like a mirror finish and really add to the looks.

24. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Camped out overnight at apple store for my 32g space grey. Never considered silver or gold, and expected the grey to be close to my slate 5. I was excited for the phone, but not really for the color. I wanted a black face and that was my only option. I knew I would like it, but the color of the phone wasn't really a feature I was excited about.

I walked into the store and purposely made an effort not to look at the display phones on either side of me. I wanted my first real look at the phone to be when my box was opened in front of me. When the sales guy opened the box and pulled out the phone I was blown away. It was so damn sleek and beautiful. It looked so familiar, yet so different.

Apple hit a gran slam with this phone. From top to bottom. It's the biggest and best "S" upgrade to date. And iOS 7 was just a lot of icing on the cake. Totally, 100% satisfied.

25. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

This is not a surprise! There used to be an AT&T store a few blocks from me, after the 4S was released on multiple carriers, I pre-ordered and had mine for Sprint on launch day…

A few days later, I was walking by the AT&T store and a rep was standing out front, he saw the iPhone in my hand and asked if I needed any help setting it up with my account or anything…

I said, I'm not on AT&T, I'm on Sprint, but thanks, anyway…. and even with me standing their tapping the top corner of the screen by the word SPRINT….

The guy insisted that no other carriers had the iPhone and he just kept ranting about it….I just walked away.