Got 5 on Friday...Already have 1.2 GB received???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snkeyez95, Sep 24, 2012.

1. snkeyez95 macrumors newbie

I did not check cellular usage prior to today, but it shows 1.2 GB received already. This seems very high to me seeing as I got the phone Friday evening and was home most of the weekend and on WiFi.

I wonder if the Cellular Usage was not at zero when I first got the phone? Anyone check theirs?

Any thoughts?

2. TOOFY, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012

TOOFY macrumors regular

Sounds like you got some apps running in the back ground [...] using up your data somehow. ;)

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

:popcorn: lte uses up data very quickly. If you are on a shared data plan youre being ripped off

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Check your data usage directly with your carrier - I've seen comments on here indicating that the cellular data usage indicator on the phone can be highly inaccurate.
    If the carrier confirms the usage, download an app that will show your usage in detail and at what time. That will help you pinpoint what's using the data.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Wirelessly posted

Odd. Received my iPhone 5 Friday and I'm only at 650MB. I downloaded over 25 apps and have been browsing the Internet and streaming YouTube.

Make sure all your apps are closed if you're not on wifi and be sure not to stream anything on LTE. It's a major hog.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

are there any ones that you recommend? I've curb'd the majority of our irreglaur data use by turning off location services on my wifes phone. I am glad that I care enough to even look and feel bad for people who don't pay any attention.

We'll see if that cuts out the random 30-something MB data entries for her phone... Now if I could just figure out what is using very small amounts of data on my phone even when I'm sleeping and on wifi...

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

This makes no sense. I am saving over $100 on my shared plan vs the old plan.

8. jester0723 macrumors regular

I think someone posted about a bug where it counted wifi data in the cellular data section of settings. Can anyone confirm?

9. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I dont think so. On Wifi I was streaming TV for a good 2 hours on mine yesterday and it had zero effect on the cellular data usage.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Only 1.2 GB? I'm @ 2.4 as of last night. ;)

Did you sync your music to your phone or are you using iCloud?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Fairly irrelevant to this thread.

OP, I'm seeing people report on excessive data all over. I really hope there is some bug that is identified and not how it will be. These data plans everyone is on will be a nightmare for the consumers.

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Speed tests?? That attacked my data when I was using the GS3 before I got my iPhone 5. It was my first experience using LTE, so I kept trying running speedtests in different areas.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

yeah... why the hell does a speed test use like 10mb or more? WTF MATE!?

----------

also, does anyone know of an app that will track what other apps/processes are using data?

if I'm paying per mb/gb, I want to know EXACTLY what is using it...

14. snkeyez95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked online on VZW's site and it show a different amount. Shows .642 GB used. Which still seems a bit high (well maybe not since that included mine and my wife's), but better than 1.2 GB my phone shows.

15. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i think it includes wifi? because it is wrong on mine too. says 2 gigs an dive have only used 500 mb or so on vzw

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Shouldn't if you are in fact checking the "Cellular Usage" section.

Mine matches what AT&T shows almost exactly if you add the Sent as well.

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

My verizon record reflects .216GB used between my wife and I. I'm still trying to figure out what these "large" (relatively speaking) data dumps are from... her data use will be (MB):

WTF are the LARGE dumps? Looking for a tracing app or something that can tell me...

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well mine doesnt match my verizon.. maybe its an issue on the CDMA ios.
    i download garage band, numbers and a large game (all can only use wifi to download) adding those up with what verizon shows equals exactly what my settings show.

19. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Someone in another thread claimed that a speed test runs for "a set amount of time" instead of downloading a set amount of data. So, running LTE with a great connection would waste a huge amount of data.

Whether this is true or not, I do not know. But I used over 200 Mb my first day with the GS3... Lucky for me, as I was going through the phone to find out where everything was, I stumbled across my data usage and realized what was happening before things got worse.

20. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It'd be useful to see when the usage statistics were reset as well, just to eliminate that as a possible cause. I doubt it is (since it is tied to phone, and not backed up/restored), but you never know.

In my case, mine was reset at the time of activation and shows 390MB down, 70MB up. Verizon is reporting that I've only used 350MB since Sept 15th (about average for me after 1/3rd of the billing cycle). So some of the number is bound to be over-reporting. Question is, how bad is the over-reporting? What's left, and how much can be accounted for?

21. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Because LTE is so fast if the speed test only downloaded something like 0.5 MB, the test would be highly inaccurate. It needs a few seconds of downloading at least to get an average speed.

LTE uses a TON of data, which is why I won't use an upgrade and lose my unlimited plan. I am currently using an Android and will get a used iPhone 5 when they become available in a few months, but I just checked my data usage from last month and it's around 11 GB. I don't download anything, but I do stream Sirius daily and watch Netflix from time to time. Just not worth it to me.

22. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

the vzw website is always about 24 hours behind. You've used more data than shows up on vzw website.

My prediction is that there is going to be an uproar about data usage when the masses realize they can easily burn through a GB of data in minutes on LTE. Not sure if VZW and ATT will be forced to change there ridiculous ripoff plans or not but it will be interesting to watch.

:popcorn:

23. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Who do I believe???

According to iOS, I've used about 230MB since I got my iPhone 5 on Friday morning.

According to Verizon's site, at the moment, I've used < 30MB total, but this number was definitely higher yesterday. Highest I saw yesterday was about 80MB. Also, if I tried to view the detail of the data usage, it definitely should adds up to more than 30MB.

I only occasionally browse forums, check emails, and no big download unless I'm on wifi. On average, I use about 500MB a month, and at most I've used about 700MB, so I can't believe I've used 230MB on a weekend.

Yesterday I've also downloaded an app call Data Usage, which already registered about 30MB usage yesterday alone.

None of these are adding up. Ultimately what matters is information on Verizon's site, but that total data usage number goes up and down. Which one do I believe? :confused:

24. raf66 macrumors regular

Mine is similar to the OP's. Got mine delivered on Friday afternoon. Had to do the 24 hour thing before I could activate because I ordered the phone on another phone number on my account. So it wasn't actually activated until Saturday around 10 am est. Less than 60 hrs. later and my sent data is 86.1 mb while my received data is 1.0 gb. Except for doing some web surfing, emailing/texting, and downloading 5 or 6 apps, I haven't done anything that I thought would register so high. The few apps I've downloaded total 450 mb or so. I checked with VZW before upgrading to see what my normal monthly data usage was and it averaged 500-600 mb/month on my Droid X. I don't know that in less than 2 1/2 days I could conceivably have used nearly double that. I downloaded Speedtest like others have mentioned. Could that be the culprit?

25. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Good luck to those on shared or capped data plans with AT&T/Verizon, you have some large phone bills in your future. And to think people on here claimed LTE wasn't going to increase data usage.