Got 5S, some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Breitling65, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Breitling65, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Search doesn't seem helped, so some questions:

- Anyone figured how to scale larger photos/JPGS to fit background in iOS7?
    - Finger reader is great but when phone is locked I still need to press home button or power button before it start scanning my finger, any way to avoid this?
    Also after iOS update it asked me for password anyway, why is that? Who will remember password with this thing? :)
    - My Mophie charging case remained after 5 seem OK with 5s besides button to switch between sound and vibrate, it is not working with this case. Is it my case issue or everyone having same problem?

Overall I don't feel much difference in speed, i think Safari works faster that is all in compare to 5. I love body finish in compare to 5!!! :)

2. Nothlit macrumors regular

The fingerprint scanner requires the phone to be "awake" (screen on) before it can scan your finger. That is why you need to press the button first.

Apple's documentation states that you will need to enter your passcode after rebooting the phone, or if more than 48 hours pass since your last Touch ID scan. Since an iOS update requires rebooting the phone, that is why you had to enter your passcode. I would hope you can remember your passcode.

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

To wake your iPhone press the Home button and release but leave your finger resting on it. Wake and unlock all in one motion.

4. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking idea is to replace annoying password entry 100 times a day :) Also I was thinking one touch and unlock is possible, pressing something is extra move and press, not as convenient sometimes also will not save buttons life.

5. matttye macrumors 601

I think it works that way to prevent accidental unlocks. You might just want to press the home button to light up the screen, or you might want to hold down the button so you can use Siri.

6. Bryanw3535 macrumors regular

Yes, if you really think about it, having an "always on" fingerprint scanner would drain your battery as it would constantly be searching for that touch. Makes sense to require a press.

7. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

You know this kinda fixes the 5th Amendment fears. Because it asks for the passcode regardless of using the print scanner. I mean, if you were ever in that situation where you felt compelled to take the 5th.

8. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

That must be 48 hours for the App Store and the lock screen because I'm on my phone constantly but only download an app once or twice a week and almost every time it asks for the password in the App Store first. So it must be a separate 48 hours for the unlock and the App Store

9. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought we are leaving in much smarter time and we should not drain anything until it is touched :) I am sure it is possible, it is just could be another setting to make it working this way. I just hate passwords everywhere ...

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. The stainless steel ring around the button is supposed to sense when a finger is on it so I don't see why that couldn't wake up the phone. Unless powered off so many parts of the phone are energized while it's "asleep" I don't see why this would be a big power drain.

11. Bryanw3535 macrumors regular

How would it know it's a finger and not your leg or some other part of skin?

12. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't have to worry about anything else besides it is matching fingerprint. Sleep otherwise. Also phone is in pocket not in my as. :) why should it touch my leg? :)

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If the finger sensor stayed active all the time waiting on your pinkie, it would run the battery dead. The purpose of pushing the button is to turn the sensor on.

It is kinda like Siri, she is not listening all the time due to the battery use it would require. You got to "wake her up" first to ask a question.

----------

Apple was "thinking" different.

14. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Already responded ^, we are not at stone age to keep this on all the time. It is touch sensor, known since 60x-70x of electronics. Pressing button defeats this idea, also buttons are getting dead eventually. I just sold 2 years old 4S my son was using, buttons are dead and no sound. So?

15. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Because the sensor detects skin, not just your finger. If your 5s were resting against your body, in your jeans pocket, or wherever it could sense your skin, it could cause a false positive to turn on the screen and scan, thus failing and returning to state. Turning on the screen, waking up the processor (where your finger info is stored), and scanning could cause unintended battery power drain. Sent from my iPhone 5.

16. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

It could sense skin over your close? Wow!!! :) Does it mean I could activate fingerprint detector on my iphone while wearing gloves? :) Some people are having amazing imagination without any basic electricity understandings ...

17. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Okay, you need to understand that the steel ring around the iphone detects capacitive electricity generated by the skin (living things confirmation). The center is the actual fingerprint sensor.

Do this: register your pinky to touch ID. Now use that pinky to press the scanner but avoid having your skin touch the ring (you can do it if u dont have large fingers) strictly just the glass surface of the scanner. It won't unlock and it wont display try again because the ring was not touched, thus the scanner will not be activated regardless if the screen was turned on.

The ring uses the same capacitive technology as the screen and it requires power. Capacitive technology can be used even if your skin is between a thin cloth (try navigating your touchscreen device with a thin cloth between the screen and your finger, it'll work)

Your "ideal" scenario applied to current technology:

Imagine if your thigh skin always touches that capacitive ring when your phone is in your pocket (thin layer of cloth in the pocket)? And the screen turns on and then the scanner scans but fails and it turns off again. Repeat 100x as you are walking, ignorant of the fact that your phone has been "detecting" skin all the time but fails to authenticate using the finger scanner.

18. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Isn't that the point of the capacitive ring though? It says when a finger is on it?

19. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Again, basic understanding of electricity will help. Unless metal ring around sensor is touched directly by skin nothing will happen. Thin layer of close will block it. I can't imagine scenario when my iphone will directly touch my skin besides my fingers. Hypothetically you could touch any part of your body with iphone finger schanner :) but that is very unusual scenarios to me. My point - I don't like pressing anything, I would like to just touch/scan/unlock.

20. coolguy4747 macrumors member

For someone preaching about "basic understanding of electricity," you seem to have a very hard time understanding what these lovely people have been telling you repeatedly, which makes sense and seems to be exactly Apple's reasoning. Also, just because you are personally incapable of imagining a scenario, that doesn't mean such scenarios don't exist or aren't common with other people.

21. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

The problem is, electric current is electric current. there's no such thing as finger electric current. The ring will NEVER be able to distinguish a finger from a nose or a toe or even an elbow at the current state of technology. If you want it to turn on everytime it senses something touching it and these are accidental touches, then you battery will suffer.

Try leaving your phone screen unlocked, awake, put it in your pocket (screen facing thigh) and go about 1 hour walking and see if the phone does not register accidental inputs. After all, technology should be able to distinguish your thighs from your fingers, right? :rolleyes:

22. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Materials inside of your pocket will block connection, period. Unless there are holes there and your body parts could touch ring it might happen. In my case unreallistic scenario.

23. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

They don't, actually. Twice I've accidentally put my phone in my pocket without putting it to sleep. Once, it made several calls to random people in my address book. The other time it deleted half my apps.

24. Breitling65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, go to school and learn about electricity :) body/skin and your jeans pocket are two different materials. One is allowing electrical current flow another will not. Unless your jeans are wet or with holes nothing will activate anything. In another hand constantly pressing buttons will shorten their life, that is what happened to my 4S I just sold. Both buttons are dead after 2 years.

----------

Are we talking about pressing button on touch screen or activating finger sensor with metal ring around? It should not do this.

25. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I'm talking about the sensitivity of the screen but it shows that the tiniest amount of moisture in the pocket lining which you wouldn't even notice, combined with contact with your body, can activate something that is designed to detect a small electrical change. Obviously it's not going to push the button in as well.