Got a 5S Gold from eBAy -- Activation Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeekAhead, Oct 10, 2013.

1. GeekAhead macrumors member

GeekAhead

Seems like the person who sold me the phone, just upgraded with Apple.Com

When I turn on the phone it asks me to verify a phone number... which isn't mine. It asks for that persons social and zip code.

How do I clear this and use my own number?

2. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

3. GeekAhead thread starter macrumors member

GeekAhead

Yes Sir. Nothing Changes.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

Att iPhone? Seems like carrier wants phone to be activated to accept 2 year contract.

5. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

try DFU restoring without a sim card in it then put yours in when its done.

6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Ask him for the information or request a refund.

7. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

My 5s was purchased locally in sealed box on somebody's upgraded line. I put in my SIM and activated like normal.

8. GeekAhead thread starter macrumors member

GeekAhead

I got from apple.com

9. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Doesn't matter where he got --- that iPhone was purchased on a 2 year agreement -- and in order to verify that the original owner got the phone -- AT&T puts the security in place -- you need the original owners last 4 digits of SSN + Zip in order to activate using the SIM card that came with the phone -- that SIM won't get service its ok -- but it is enough to verify what AT&T wants to verify on their end.

Its either you do that, or enjoy the paper weight.

Btw way...your Thread Title says "from eBay" and now your saying "I got from apple.com"

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

There's no way around that, like stanam1989 said. It's to prevent people from stealing the phone (like delivery guys or people stealing packages off your porch).

11. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Put in your SIM not using the owners ^ regarding above post. If you want to use the orig owners sim you need to call apple so they can set up phone on your line with that sim. Odd that yours doesn't work. I literally did the same thing with my SIM. Put yours in and restore from backup. Would that help?

12. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

This is messed up for you and the seller.

I run into this ever other year, when I cross upgrade my phone with another line in our family plan. It requires new SIMS both phones, and when you activate your phone, it will take out his, which was used to buy the new phone on a 2 year contract.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

What danilko said. It needs to be activated with purchasers sim. Then simply erase all info/settings so the new buyer can activate with their own sim.

Of course you can get the info you need from the seller.

14. kiantech macrumors regular

How much % over retail you have to pay for it?

15. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

This cannot be true. I bought my 5s locally in a sealed box. The seller used his upgrade to buy it from att online. He never opened the box. I took the sim out that came installed in it, put mine in, restored from backup and it was up and Running on my line.

16. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

17. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Someone has issues.

18. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If the buyer puts the sellers info in the phone to activate, it will also move the sellers service to this phone and deactivate the sellers phone! LOL!

What a mess!

19. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Request a refund. eBay should be the LAST place to get 5S's really.

20. vito macrumors 6502a

Yep, sad really, people who relate colour to gender!

21. Birdmanrsx macrumors newbie

Since I recently sold a 5s that was an upgrade, sealed in a box to someone I can assure you there is no way around it. Only devices ordered directly from Apple.com will have the ss + zip lock in place. I was very clear with my buyer and told them that they would need to go to the AT&T store anyway to get a new sim since it was an upgrade and the sim in the phone wouldn't work for them, for which they had no problem doing. I also instructed my buyer to call me when they got there and I spoke to the AT&T rep and provided my ss + zip to them and they were able to activate the phone no problem with a sim card that was already programmed with the buyers number ( It did not activate my wife's line on the sim that was in the iPhone when shipped as her 5s and sim continued to work just fine after they activated it.)

I would suggest contacting the buyer and requesting the info, unless of course they sold you a stolen iPhone :mad:

Just thought I would share my story.

Another note, There are services out there that can get that information for you, however they are not cheap.

22. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

If you purchase from the physical Apple store the new AT&T iPhone is activated at the store even if the box is sealed. It de-activated my old phone once the purchase was completed. I think this is only an issue for online orders.

23. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Does not de-activate the old phone but de-activated the old SIM <--- Important to note. There is a difference between Activating iPhone and Activating SIM. Because that old phone you can put another AT&T SIM or if its unlocked then another carrier SIM and it will work again.

Activating iPhone:
    - If purchased on 2year contract - will ask for SSN + ZIP upon first activation if not done in store [to protect original owner against account fraud by someone else]
    - Will not be able to bypass without SSN + ZIP and the SIM will remain inactive until you enter that information.

24. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Thanks for the clarification on the deactivating the old sim card and not the old phone.

This is only an issue for Apple and At&t online orders though, because when I buy a new AT&T iPhone at the physical Apple store on contract the new phone is activated and my old sim is de-activated immediately.

25. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Hmm...interesting. I didn't know that I became unmanly because my phone is gold. Tell me more!

Did it also erase my service in the Iraq war and 5 years on active duty as an Army officer? Did it nullify my marriage of 10 years to my wife, and make my kids disappear? Did it suddenly turn my wardrobe pink? Did it suddenly make me love Broadway Musicals? (Oh wait, I already love Broadway Musicals). Did my genitalia change? Who knew how quickly someone's whole personality and body could change from having a certain color phone!

Let me make a crazy internet judgement: Thinking your manliness is tied to something as trivial as the color of your phone = unmanly.