Got a 64GB 3G Verizon ipad 2 for Mother's Day, should I return it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mickeysworld, May 8, 2011.

1. mickeysworld macrumors member

Hello everyone, hoping for some advice from the experts - I was generously gifted an ipad 2 for Mother's Day but am wondering if I should return it for the model without 3G since I do have an iphone 4 and could use the tethering feature when I travel, which isn't very often.

I have zero experience with tethering so I don't know if this is a good option and way to connect? I live in the central-west coast of Florida. I have no complaints about my coverage. I would like to take my ipad on family vacations and short road trips, etc. (most likely Florida and the mountains of North Carolina) but for the most part the ipad would be used at home.

Am I better off having dedicated 3G or tethering on my att iphone 4? And if I'm better off with 3G, whose network would you choose - verizon or att? My understanding is that att speed is slightly faster but verizon is more reliable? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If you don't need 3G connectivity very often, I'd forgoe the tethering option as that would require changing your data plan on your iPhone and unlike 3G on the iPad, I don't believe you can pay for tethering as needed (month to month), so you'd be paying the extra $20/mo for the duration of your iPhone contract.

As for which 3G model to get, that question can best be answered by who has the best 3G coverage in the areas you travel. I'm in the same part of Florida as you and have AT&T on my iPad with very good network coverage and speeds. I know Verizon has very good network coverage here as well, cannot attest to speed though. Regardless, I'd pick a model based on your travel destinations as it sounds like that's where you'll need the 3G access.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

With the iPad you don't need a contract for the 3G. You can turn it on or off monthly if/or as you need it. Since the iPad was a gift from someone who obviously cares a great deal about you, I would keep it and use the 3G as needed.

It is my opinion that in electronic equipment: "It is better to have and not want, then to want and not have." :D

Under this philosophy it is better to have the 3G and not use it, then to be out somewhere and want it and not have it.

Especially since you didn't pay for the iPad.