Got a black box to turn off my computer, the got the blue screen of death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Feb 16, 2008.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Hi Everyone,

I was just on my computer listening to music and on myspace and stuff like I normally do and for no reason it gave me that black box that says to hold my power button for 7 seconds, so I did and restarted and now it is giving me the blue screen of death and today I realyl really really really need to use it. I was thinking the last time I got it when upgrading i used target mode, should I use it again to fix it this time? What cuased this to happen?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

black box with words is kernel panic.

are you saying now system won't boot into desktop?

did you try insert your OSX disk, holding C when boot and do a disk repair?

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a Kernal Panic, often due to faulty hardware, have you installed any RAM, a hard drive?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple says
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Unfortunately you triggered the built-in MySpace-overload suicide pill. With all that MySpace garbage you were subjecting it to, your computer no longer had the will to live. Just pull the plug and end it.

6. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Ype just tried that and it didn't work

I don't know what type of faulty software i could of done to cause this i haven't had any problems with the past year i've been using it.

Unfortunely you triggered the ability to shut up. With all this garbage you've been saying to try to "help" people, you really have no point in being here. Just pull the plug and end it. Seriously dude if you really say this stuff you shouldn't be here.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

hold command-s on start and follow the directions on the screen for running fsck.

If it repairs something, run it again, it is a multiple pass process until fixed, or it stops making repairs.

8. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, the link to apple said you should upgrade your mac to prevent farther issues, is it possible to load software update even though you can't get on?

9. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you do that?

Sorry if I"m asking dumb questions I am not used to having mac issues like this before so this is sort of new to me. I looked on apple but it was talking about it for other situations (I think)

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Restart the machine and hold down command and the letter s at the same time.

It will start the machine in single-user mode.

There are clear text instructions on how to run fsck.

You can type exit or restart at the prompt to boot the OS or restart the machine.

---

This is an alternative to running Disk Utilities from the DVD.

---

If there is a fragged boot drive this may fix a file system/catalog problem which can hang the system at boot.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if all the booting options don't help, You might want to call applecare and see what they say about it.

12. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried it and used the dvd and it didn`t work. I may call applecare but iwanted to ask if using something like Disk Warrior, techtool pro, etc could work or doing something relating to target mode (which iknow would work).

is it possible to do one of these to make it work or a way to use Software Update?

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This isn't booting off the DVD, this is running from the HD.

fsck is a file system check run from the HD while booting in single user mode (command-s)

Disk Utility is on the DVD...

---

Target Disk mode might get you around the problem, but if the damage to the boot drive is early enough in the bootstrap process, it might still crash.

14. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I know i did it it off the dvd then did your suggestion correctly and it refused to work still. i know they work differently.