Got a brand new 13" MacBook Air? Did you get the faster Samsung or slower Toshiba SSD

Got a brand new 13" MacBook Air? Did you get the faster Samsung or the slower Toshiba

• I have the Toshiba TS128C

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I have the Samsung SM128C

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • I have a different one altogether

Votes: 24 20.9%

• Total voters

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
This subject is not new, as many MacBook Air owners who purchased their late-2010 MacBook Air (11" and 13" models alike) early on mostly received a Toshiba SSD. Fast-forward to earlier this spring and it turned out that Apple put a significant number of higher-end SSD's from Samsung in its MacBook Air's, which have more advanced features, such as NCQ (Native Command Queuing), and produce higher speeds as compared to the ones from Toshiba.

I just got my mid-2011 13" MacBook Air and I was hoping that I was going to get the faster Samsung drive. As part of the Sandy Bridge CPU upgrade, it also got the Intel 6 chipset, which means SATA III (6Gbps), but the Toshiba drive is only SATA II.

Speed is the name of the game with the Air, so everything is not as "instant" as it could be. At least, they're still exchangeable, so we can still put some extremely fast SSD's in our Air's.

I'm quite curious now as to who got what, so vote in the poll and/or post a response. You can find out what you have in your Air by going to Applications, then Utilities and clicking "System Information". Find where it says Sertial-ATA in the left pane and see what it says! Mine is a Toshiba, because it says APPLE SSD TS128C. The Samsung's entry would be Apple SSD SM128C. Makes sense: TS=Toshiba; SM=Samsung.

Happy voting. ;-)

Last edited:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Please provide proof of such claims before posting a seemingly-legitimate voting post.

Kthx.

From your link:

So what does that mean to you? It means that you shouldn't worry too much about hunting down a MacBook Air with one of the faster SSDs.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
My wife and I got MacBook Airs and both got the Toshibas. I had to return mine, and they gave me another one from stock. That one had a Samsung. All were 13" i7s with 256GB SSDs. Go figure.

mac3973

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
I got the Toshiba drive and the LG Phillips Screen. I can't decide if its worth taking back or not....

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My wife and I got MacBook Airs and both got the Toshibas. I had to return mine, and they gave me another one from stock. That one had a Samsung. All were 13" i7s with 256GB SSDs. Go figure.
If I understand, you now have identical machines, one with the Samsung 256 and the other with the Toshiba 256. If so, can you run a benchmark test to see if there really is a difference?

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Hmm... What about the screens? :D
If different can you report?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hmm... What about the screens? :D
If different can you report?
Geez, you guys are impatient! I do have a real job you know... :p

Mine.

Hers.

I've been working with both of these machines literally side by side for three days straight, loading software, testing, mucking around.

Guys, there is no difference, not that a mere mortal can tell. Trust me. :D

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I strongly suspect that there is NO difference in SSD's from Samsung and Toshiba.

Apple doesn't buy "off the shelf" drives... these are designed to Apple spec and interface, and are most likely just assembled by different MFGR's. There would be no reason for apple to use drives of the same capacity but of different speed for the same price. Samsung and Toshiba most likely are using an Apple blueprint to put the spec'd pieces together to simply meet the current demand for these SSD drives.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
If I understand, you now have identical machines, one with the Samsung 256 and the other with the Toshiba 256. If so, can you run a benchmark test to see if there really is a difference?
If a higher number makes you feel better when there is no real-world difference - I'd say go for it. :rolleyes:

rbn

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Is it possible to identify whether the machine has a samsung ssd Before purchase? For example, can the serial number be used as a indicator some how?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
I hope you guys also noticed that the 'slower' Toshiba controller beats the 'faster' Samsung controller in a couple of real world benchmarks.

And as a wise man once said, no one will notice the difference in real life ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.