Got a brand new 13" MacBook Air? Did you get the faster Samsung or slower Toshiba SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Crunch, Jul 24, 2011.

?

Got a brand new 13" MacBook Air? Did you get the faster Samsung or the slower Toshiba

1. I have the Toshiba TS128C

34 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. I have the Samsung SM128C

57 vote(s)
    49.6%
  3. I have a different one altogether

24 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Crunch, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

This subject is not new, as many MacBook Air owners who purchased their late-2010 MacBook Air (11" and 13" models alike) early on mostly received a Toshiba SSD. Fast-forward to earlier this spring and it turned out that Apple put a significant number of higher-end SSD's from Samsung in its MacBook Air's, which have more advanced features, such as NCQ (Native Command Queuing), and produce higher speeds as compared to the ones from Toshiba.

I just got my mid-2011 13" MacBook Air and I was hoping that I was going to get the faster Samsung drive. As part of the Sandy Bridge CPU upgrade, it also got the Intel 6 chipset, which means SATA III (6Gbps), but the Toshiba drive is only SATA II.

Speed is the name of the game with the Air, so everything is not as "instant" as it could be. At least, they're still exchangeable, so we can still put some extremely fast SSD's in our Air's.

I'm quite curious now as to who got what, so vote in the poll and/or post a response. You can find out what you have in your Air by going to Applications, then Utilities and clicking "System Information". Find where it says Sertial-ATA in the left pane and see what it says! Mine is a Toshiba, because it says APPLE SSD TS128C. The Samsung's entry would be Apple SSD SM128C. Makes sense: TS=Toshiba; SM=Samsung.

Happy voting. ;-)

2. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

I've got the Samsung SSD with the LG display. No complaints about anything here. 13" i5 128GB base model.

3. ThemacNub macrumors regular

So the samsung SSD is better but which screen is the better one?

4. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Please provide proof of such claims before posting a seemingly-legitimate voting post.

Kthx.

From your link:

So what does that mean to you? It means that you shouldn't worry too much about hunting down a MacBook Air with one of the faster SSDs.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My wife and I got MacBook Airs and both got the Toshibas. I had to return mine, and they gave me another one from stock. That one had a Samsung. All were 13" i7s with 256GB SSDs. Go figure.

6. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

My wife and I each have Samsung displays and SSD. :)

7. mac3973 macrumors member

I got the Toshiba drive and the LG Phillips Screen. I can't decide if its worth taking back or not....

8. yummywaffles macrumors newbie

lol "other". if you dont mind id be intrested to know what you 3 got

9. marrzie macrumors regular

Other would be if you got the 256gb model. I think.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If I understand, you now have identical machines, one with the Samsung 256 and the other with the Toshiba 256. If so, can you run a benchmark test to see if there really is a difference?

12. Kafka macrumors 6502

Hmm... What about the screens? :D
    If different can you report?

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Geez, you guys are impatient! I do have a real job you know... :p

Mine.

[​IMG]

Hers.

[​IMG]

I've been working with both of these machines literally side by side for three days straight, loading software, testing, mucking around.

Guys, there is no difference, not that a mere mortal can tell. Trust me. :D

14. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

I strongly suspect that there is NO difference in SSD's from Samsung and Toshiba.

Apple doesn't buy "off the shelf" drives... these are designed to Apple spec and interface, and are most likely just assembled by different MFGR's. There would be no reason for apple to use drives of the same capacity but of different speed for the same price. Samsung and Toshiba most likely are using an Apple blueprint to put the spec'd pieces together to simply meet the current demand for these SSD drives.

15. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

If a higher number makes you feel better when there is no real-world difference - I'd say go for it. :rolleyes:

16. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

i got Samsung and LG display as well

i dont know but i dont see a lot of people got the Toshiba..

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Your poll is flawed since it only accounts for the 128 GB SSDs.

18. rbn macrumors member

Is it possible to identify whether the machine has a samsung ssd Before purchase? For example, can the serial number be used as a indicator some how?

19. stevenpa macrumors 6502

20. stevenpa macrumors 6502

no.

21. reputationZed, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

reputationZed macrumors 65816

Thanks. I wasn't putting much stock in benchmarks as a sign of real world performance, but it's good to have confirmation from someone who has used both.

22. rds macrumors regular

23. Philflow macrumors 65816

I hope you guys also noticed that the 'slower' Toshiba controller beats the 'faster' Samsung controller in a couple of real world benchmarks.

And as a wise man once said, no one will notice the difference in real life ;)

24. trondah macrumors 6502

25. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I got the SM. How do I know what screen I have; which is better?