Got a couple of rookie questions, sorry if reposted!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R-41157, May 28, 2008.

1. R-41157 macrumors member

Hi

sorry if these are reposts but i thought i would ask the questions and get some direct answer instead of scrawling through hundreds of posts to find thw wrong answers!!

Right, so i am looking for a new phone as my contract with orange runs out mid june, and i am considering the iphone. The first questions is when will the iphone be in stock in the UK? Both the apple store, car phone warehouse and O2 store say it is out of stock . . . any ideas?

Also, i want to get the new phone by the time my contract runs out but i have read a few threads that suggest the 3G version will be out early june, is this a fact or speculation like we have with the macs??? is it worth waiting to see what happens?

Finally, will my iphone work abroad in america etc on the O2 £35 tariff, and can I really justify getting the 16GB over the 8GB for such a huge price leap??

Any answer would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

2. Pantocrator macrumors member

It is almost guaranteed to come out in June- the 3g is your only option except for ebay and refurbs. The price difference is up to you- do you plan on using it as a music player and a phone? I will buy the 32 gig assuming they release one in addition to 16 gig.

And a question to you- are European "tariffs" the same as American tariffs, which I think we all but abandoned after the early-ish 1800s? Ours was a flat tax on imported goods that was effectively replaced by income tax, but it seems that Europeans use tariffs in a different connotation.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

The only thing I can really answer is WAIT ! WWDC is in less than two weeks and I'm 95% sure the new 3g iphone will be announced then. But, it may not be released that very same day. I would wait until June 9 definitely and after that then make your decision. All iphones are out of stock now and have been for about a month. Even if you can't wait until late June if that's when the 3g ones go on sale, I'm sure once they are just announced you get also get a cheap 1st gen one too. Good luck and have fun ! I too am waiting for the new 3g iphone as well.

4. R-41157 thread starter macrumors member

cheers for the advice!! I will use it for some music yes, but not a power house of itunes as I rarely get the chance to listen to music for long periods of time while going places etc.

In answer to you question, I have absolutely no idea! :)

5. skik210 macrumors member

worth waiting. its definitely coming beginning of june. iphones should be in stock shortly after the keynote (we hope) on june 9th.

not sure and yes, worth getting the 16gb, if its not 16 and 32 for 2nd gen.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

You should definitely wait until June 9th. There's no official announcement of a new iPhone being shown then, but pretty much everyone expects it. Magic eight-ball says "Signs point to yes" :)

7. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Definitely wait a couple of weeks, see what happens. And I think the capacity will be upped - 8gb will be dropped, and a 32gb version will be introduced.

Tariff is the term used in the UK to describe the monthly contract for mobile phones - how much you pay and what you get for your money.