got a Late 2015 iMac i5 3.3ghz. Am maybe regretting not getting the i7 n

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kontrast, Jul 3, 2016.

1. kontrast macrumors member

Not to highjack the thread, but I didn't want to make a new one.

I just got a Late 2015 iMac i5 3.3ghz. Am maybe regretting not getting the i7 now...but the most intensive thing I do is have many chrome tabs open at the same time. No video editing. Thoughts?

2. iThibault macrumors newbie

iThibault

An i7 would really be overkill for you. However, you might be able to benefit from some more RAM if you have so many tabs open.

3. kontrast thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I got 16gb already but will probably upgrade to 32gb

4. iThibault macrumors newbie

iThibault

16GB already seems like more then enough though. Does your iMac really feel slow?

5. kontrast thread starter macrumors member

There is a considerable slow down after I have many tabs open for a while, but I wouldn't say REALLY slow

6. deviant macrumors 65816

Is it ssd iMac? If yes, I'd say it's chrome fault. I7 would be useless
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2016 ---
    Yeap they crippled the 1tb fusion. Well, we all know how apple is with flash storage. But then again, at least it's more than 16gb iPhone , lol

7. kontrast thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is. I'm gonna upgrade to 2133mhz RAM

8. deviant macrumors 65816

It won't help though. I mean, it is ram intensive, but chrome is a mess. I'd try safari first. If it's the same than its just how it works. I have old computer so I can't really tell, my iMac struggles with 10 tabs easily . And I don't really use my mba..

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Posts were removed from an existing thread, as it was hijacking the topic from the OP.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Same thoughts as others chrome is very poorly coded for macs and is therefore a massive resource hog, switch to another browser (maybe safari which is brilliantly optimised for OS X) and enable click to flash plug in.

11. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

eh, is Chrome really bad on Macs?

I've always thought Chrome to be the superior browser, I haven't used Safari since they changed it to the new Safari, which I didn't like all that much.

I prefer the classic browser format. And Chrome loads way faster than Safari. You can test it with any page. Benchmarks are out there somewhere too.

Chrome may be more poorly optimized for OS X than Safari (obviously), but I think it is optimized very well for a third party app.

Compared to Mac Firefox, it isn't a question. Mac Firefox is a disgrace.

Chrome has been quite wonderful for me, it feels quite integrated.

Safari beats it on the animations but Chrome is faster. If Safari would move back to, or at least give users the option of having a classic browser layout, I may be using Safari. But I would need to compare their loading times for pages.

12. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Chrome is a terrible browser on Mac and Windows.

On Mac, I suggest using Safari.

13. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Yeah, I just tried it again, Safari is much slower than chrome.

I will stay with Chrome, I think it is better than Safari.

14. Tiberius2000 macrumors member

Tiberius2000

For ecosystem integration and privacy concerns use Safari. However, if you really want alternatives, Opera for macOS and iOSis really nice.

Years ago I used icab when Netscape died and I.E. Was the only other real option. Anyone use icab lately?

15. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

eh, Tiberius2000, I respectfully disagree.

I had the pleasure, er, displeasure of installing Opera for macOS a few years back. IMHO a comparison between it and Chrome is borderline silly. Unless it has made leaps since then?

I'll continue to enjoy the speed and great integration of Google Chrome. Safari might be nice but when they did away with the bookmarks bar, that pretty much ended it for me.

My web browsing is largely 'bookmarks bar based' so with that they really lost me. Now it just seems like a flail fest with that drop down version of the bar. I guess some people like it.

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That's fine you just have to recognise that this may well slow you computer down for other uses as chrome hogs all your ram and CPU and battery in the case of laptops to perform simple web browsing.

17. Tiberius2000 macrumors member

Tiberius2000

You observation was true: Opera was severely lagging a few years ago, but it has significantly improved.

18. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I always used chrome on all my devices, I started using Safari on my 2015 5k iMac and it blows Chrome away on speed and just the way it functions.

19. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I use Opera and Firefox on older Macs, but on newer ones mostly Safari. It's lighter than Chrome, Opera, and Firefox and works just fine. Less slowdown with many tabs open.

20. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I think any BTO option like the GPU, i7, you need to ask yourself....."I need to max this option because/for..."

If you can't answer this question with 100% certainty, then skip it. For example "I need the i7 because I have a million tracks open in Logic, which I work on daily".