Got a MacBook today... just wondering if the superdrive is meant to be noisy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sorchard, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sorchard macrumors regular

Hi,
    today I got a MacBook (2.2ghz, santa rosa, superdrive).

I think it and the OS is great, except for the superdrive. When I insert or remove a disc, the drive emits a terrible crunching noise and you can hear the motor slowing down.

I'm wondering if this is a normal thing or should I think about return / service?

Thanks

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Check out this link. If it sounds anything like either of those, then you're ok. If not, then I'd be worried. The Superdrive is a tad noisy, but that's something you'll get used to. :)

3. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it sounds just like that, so I guess it's fine. Gave me a heart attack the first time I inserted a CD!

One other thing I noticed is that certain discs seem to make a really bad noise, as if they've come off the spindle and are bouncing around in the drive. One of them, oddly enough, was a Windows XP disc. Would this damage my superdrive?

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It is the normal sound. I thought that my Cd/DVD's were getting crunched the first few times I heard it. Like CalBoy mentioned, you will get used to it.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Did you take a listen at the eject sounds as well? I think that's pretty normal. Unless your disc is damaged or something (check it for physical deformities), I don't think you should have a problem.

6. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Yea the sound of the superdrive is something you shouldn't be worrying about. In my opinion, it's the noisy fans that you should be aware of.. even dealing with YouTube may spook the MacBook.

7. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully I will. I've had this thing for several hours and it's not *quite* as heart stopping as it was...

I did that... It didn't seem damaged, but I copied it onto another disc just in case. Seems to be fine although Windows installation was a little slow.

I haven't had the fans kick in unless doing stuff in iMovie. Currently sitting at 49C... not too bad.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^About the fans, you'll want to get SMC Fan Control. It's a wonderful app that let's you control fan speeds yourself.

Apple really dropped the ball when it comes to fans. They won't go to a higher speed until you hit about 60 C, which is quite hot if you think about it. I usually adjust the fans myself and try to keep the temps somewhere between 30-42 C. You don't want it getting too hot inside. :)

9. sorchard thread starter macrumors regular

That app is quite nice! Thanks.

This Mac is certainly cooler than my old notebook, an HP Turion X2 based machine. It would hit 100C on the northbridge and 80C on the CPU quite easily, managed to burn my leg on it a few times. This C2D feels like an icecube in comparison, really.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

the drive sounds like a cement mixer on a bad day. I wish apple would do something about it. Other slot loaders i've used have a smooth load after about 1 inch, with an apple laptop the disk has to go in about 4 inches before it grabs and shakes the disk about

11. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

the fact apple have to have an article on k-base telling people not to worry about the hideous noises suggests they are pretty embarrassed about it - Please install better (blu-ray) drives in you next laptops please apple!

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:eek: Well I suppose in that sense you've made off rather well! :p

And you're welcome! That's what these forums are all about. ;) :)

I think part of it might have to do with the fact that Apple squeezes its components into a very small area. If we look at the mbp, that drive has less than an inch of space from top to bottom (upon measuring, I've discovered that it's about 3/4 of an inch). We know the laws of physics still apply to Apple products, so something's got to give I suppose. :eek:

13. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I used to be annoyed by the superdrive's noise also but I got used to it after a couple of months and now it barely bothers me...

14. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yes, the noise is absolutely terrifying if you're not used to it.

15. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

It did caught me off guard first time I put a dvd in the slot. You'll get used to it...:p

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Keep in mind these are slot loading drives and not trays like most laptops have. That being said, it will sound differently than normal because the computer needs to "suck in" the disk.

17. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

is this just a problem with the superdrives? or is it a problem with the combo drives also? (my mbp makes the same noises as if its chewing and eating my cd)

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Slot loading drives make this noise on any mac notebook. As long as your noise(s) is similar to this, you're fine.

19. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

As pretty much everybody has already mentioned, it's because it's slot loading. I had a dell latitude D600 prior to my MBP and the difference was night in day. In fact, the first day I put a CD into my MBP, I had to call my girlfriend, hold the phone up to the drive, and ask if it was supposed to make that sound.

20. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

Yes, mine does sound like that. I'm just wondering why Apple had to make their slot-loading drives so loud(why is, for example, the wii's slot-loading drive so much quieter? is it because its not as fast?)

21. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

a wii is about 3 inches thick, a macbook is about 1 inch thick. Thats the main difference i think. The wii has more space to put in all the mechanics needed to make the drive smooth loading - its the same with a car radio.