Got a question about data usage... Going to the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Jul 25, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Hi all going to the US this weekend and wanted to know what settings I should be turning off to avoid huge charges to my contract here in the UK which is Vodafone

I know data rooming needs to be off but do I need to turn off cellular data as well?

I have alot of notifications that push to my 4S so do I need to turn all of them off In notifcation center along with the data rooming and cellular data? Or with those two switched off it won't matter if my notifcation options remain the same?

If I do turn off cellular data can I still make and receive calls and make and receive text messages?

Can somebody advise me on what I should be switching off before I leave for the US? As I'm guessing using Internet in America is a big charge.

Many thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Using texts and minutes will also be a big charge not just data.
    I'd completelly take the sim out and just use it as an ipod when you're connected to wifi.
    Make calls using skype, facetime or any other internet calling.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well yeah I won't be using Internet but will need my sim in as 1 or 2 will be contacting me while I'm out there. I know I won't use the Internet it's just making sure data isn't running without me knowing

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Id turn off cellular data to be sure also.
    Did you find out how much it would cost making or receiving calls would be while you're roaming in the US with your UK sim though?
    Just making sure you dont get any more surprises. The roaming fees are up there.
    I'd get a prepaid US sim when you land and use that instead.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

With that, you can still make and receive calls and texts and any iMessages sent to you should be forced to as texts.

Depending on your plan and what they charge for making/ receiving calls and texts while in another country, it could all be very expensive.

Data roaming off is a must and I would turn off cellular data as an extra precaution.

Then again, I would also turn on Airplane Mode (then return WiFi back on) as well.

Your best bet is to call your carrier and see how and what they will charge you.

If it's an option, I'd also 2nd the idea of getting a prepaid SIM card when you arrive so you don't have to worry at all about errant fees.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You can find Vodafone's Roaming rates for the USA at the following page:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/pay-monthly/travelling-abroad/index.htm

Making calls - £1.35 per minute
    Receiving calls - £1 per minute
    Sending a text message - 35p + your normal SMS charge
    Sending a picture message - 37p
    Standard data charges - £3 per MB for up to 5MB then £15 for every 5MB after.

It's always free to receive a text or picture message

They also offer a 25MB data bundle that is £5 per day:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/price-plans/pay-monthly/data-traveller/index.htm

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Do you still Receive phone calls and texts in airplane mode?

8. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

How much are ore paid sims? Do they have pay as you go in the US? How does it work?

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

One last question and it might be a stupid one

If I take out my sim and leave it at home there is no chance I could get charged anything is there?

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

How long will you be in the US?

Straight Talk has a pre-paid option with a BYOD, $15 for the SIM, and $45 a month nationwide. They also offer a $60 international plan. With both plans, you get unlimited calls and texts in the US and an "unlimited" data plan (go above 2GB and run the risk of account termination) and no contract.

With the international plan, you get the same features as the $45 plan and also unlimited calls to outside the US, but I'm not sure if the UK is included, the info on their website is pretty vague. Worth looking into IMO.

11. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

No. Unless you are on the Internet and use Skype or something similar.

If it were me and I was going to highly populated places -- leave Sim in for emergency purposes. Turn airplane mode on and then make sure to turn wifi back on. If you are near a free wifi spot, you'll have internet access. There are many free wifi spots in the us as opposed to my limited experience with Europe.

I'd also probably sign up for my carrier's international plan, just so I could have cellular data available.

However, I am going to Bermuda in two weeks and think I will try getting a local sim for a 3 day period just to see how it works out. Never tried it.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't matter if data is disabled.

It can't connect to a carrier's network without the SIM so, no.