All iPads Got a question for people who read books on their iPads.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gc15, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gc15 macrumors regular

I'm looking for some good books to read over the summer and I don't know of any. I was wondering if anybody could tell me any books to check out. Thank you!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This thread could have been titled, "Got a question for people who read books" :p

I don't have a suggestion regarding books to read, but a way to browse and obtain books. It seems many public libraries now have an e-books catalog, and use the Overdrive Media Console (free app) to handle checkouts and returns. Just find your library and enter your library account information in Overdrive, and then browse the library's e-book catalog. You can place holds and check out (download) books very easily. Perhaps best of all, there are no late fees. You can "return" a book when you're done with it (which just deletes it from your device and causes the website to allow someone else to download it), but even if you forget, the book is automatically purged from your device once the borrow period is up.

The only downside is that not all books are available in e-book format, and sometimes the library doesn't have an e-book in a format Overdrive can use (for those libraries that are trying to support Kindle as well, for example; you should be able to use the Kindle app to access them, though). However, it's a very convenient way to obtain books for free. Assuming your library's website is nicely organized, it's also a nice way to browse books from genres and authors that match your interests.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Start with "Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin.

Then continue reading the rest of the series.

You won't be disappointed. :)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Stephen King Dark Tower series
    Wool series
    Divergent series
    Hunger Games series
    Game of Thrones series

Not really in that order but those are my recommendations for summer reading. You can likely get through Hunger Games in a day or a weekend if you keep reading.

7. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time Series.

That alone will keep you busy all summer.

8. aleXXXps macrumors member

Create a Good Reads account and see if any friends are on there to recommend stuff. Otherwise, search by interest or author!

9. PinkyMacGodess, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Personally, I've found the books by Neal Stephenson enjoyable. Snow Crash, and Cryptonomicon were good reads, but haven't found a bad one yet. The Count of Monte Cristo (free too) was also a favorite read. Isaac Asimov has some very good books to. (Stars Like Dust, Robot Chronicles, Nemesis)

Depends on what you like...

iTunes has a most popular book category too I think... The problem with 'Best Book' labels are that usually it's some useless dreck that I'd never read on a dare. Case in point: 50 Shades of Gray was tops for how long?

Oh, what I did to start was go through the 'free' books from the Gutenberg project. So many incredible books, and all are free, many classics not in print anymore... Oh, many obscure authors too. Sometimes very fun reads.

10. SwingOnThis macrumors regular

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Sci-Fi: J.D. Robb's "In Death" series about NYPSD Lieutenant Eve Dallas living and working in mid-21st century New York city. Some 40 plus books in the series and it just keeps getting better. Especially recommend listening to the audiobook versions read by Susan Ericksen.

Fantasy: Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard for hire as a private investigator. Book 15, "Skin Game" will be unleashed at the end of May. Fun and frequently grim, this is another series that keeps improving. Recommend listening to James Marsters read the audiobook versions.

12. elchorizo macrumors member

Some good suggestions here already!

Not knowing anything about you, or your age, or your likes and dislikes, i'll just recommend what I like :D (not in any order)

1. Game of Thrones series - Books one through three are epic and get better and better as they go along. Then book four gets somewhat boring and book five is truly crap. But, the first 3 are sooooo good that its still worth reading the series.

2. Hunger Games series - light fun reading.

3. Thrawn Trilogy from Timothy Zahn - Star Wars books which are better than the Star Wars movies. Good for summer reading! (start with Heir to the Empire).

4. Ender's Game - Just a really fun sci-fi story about a kid put in a tough situation. Very good book with a mind blowing ending. Optional followup books are good too (at least the ones I've read so far)

5. Dune - Kind of heavy for summer reading but so brilliant and fun to read. When I take a break from reading this it takes me a minute to re-acclimate to the real world lol!

6. Harry Potter Series - Wonderful fun and easy reading. I enjoyed every single one of them. I could read 100 more Harry Potter Books. These books just make me happy.

7. Mistborn Series - Seriously good fantasy series which is quite different from the norm.

Some non-fiction in case that is your bag:

8. The Big Short - About the 2008 financial meltdown. Phenomenal book but only if you care to understand world events.

9. Into Thin Air - Agreed with SwingOnThis. Great read. Devastating story.

10. Steve Jobs Bio by Walter Issacson - Fun read but you probably know most of it being on this forum.

11. Einstein Bio by Walter Issacson - Better than the Jobs one. Very good read.

12. One of a Kind - Great story about a brilliant gambler.

I could go on and on but I'm stopping here. Have fun!

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you're into fantasy, then the Belgariad and Malloreon series by David Eddings are really good. I like all of elchorizo's fiction recommendations as well as Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Robot. I'd also add the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (fantasy) to the list for a bit of light reading. :)

14. mcmul macrumors 6502

Lol, this.

It could have been "Book recommendations" with "see title" or "Question for bookworms" with "Can you recommend me a book?" (The latter, of course, could result in some very technical books from the proper book geeks.) Either way, both are far better than the current state of affairs of narrowing down to iPads-only. I assume everyone will just be recommending the Steve Jobs book?

15. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I'm reading the most read book in history...the Bible. There are lots of apps you can download for free. The ESV version is an easier read.

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Try "Through my Eyes". Tim Tebow's story. If you have a public library account you can read it on your iPad in iBooks for free. It's a good book...very motivating.

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

What are your interests?
    What books have you read that you really liked?
    Do you like fiction or non fiction?
    What types of movie do you generally like?

18. gollum macrumors regular

A Confederacy of Dunces
    Alas, Babylon
    Les Misérables
    The Grapes Of Wrath
    Lord Of The Rings
    The Spirituality of Imperfection
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

19. iWeekend macrumors regular

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member