Got AW wet and got startup Apple logo for a moment, happen to you?

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I was washing my hands with AW on my wrist and to rise off all the soap I put my whole hand and wrist under the faucet for a second. After I did that and looked at the watch I got the startup Apple logo?? A couple seconds later the regular watch face re-appeared. I wonder if that was AW way of protecting itself, momentarily shutting down (which is why the Apple logo appeared)? Has this happened to you? Do you think it's a defect?

Btw, anybody else think the startup Apple logo with its gradient black color a bit odd looking? When I first saw it when I was setting up my AW I thought the AW screen was defective.

Last edited:

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
It was probably activated when you flipped your wrists while moving your hands around, and in that moment, something caused a respring (soft crash).

I wash my Watch under hot water for a prolonged period of time every morning after I run and before I go to work. No issue.

The watch can't really determine if it's wet or not - just coincidence in your case.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
It was probably activated when you flipped your wrists while moving your hands around, and in that moment, something caused a respring (soft crash).

I wash my Watch under hot water for a prolonged period of time every morning after I run and before I go to work. No issue.

The watch can't really determine if it's wet or not - just coincidence in your case.
Should I do a soft reset (turn off, then turn on AW) to clear out whatever caused the soft crash?

When you wash your AW, do you use soap? I try to keep soap away from the screen so the Oleophobic Coating doesn't wear away prematurely. I have no idea if ordinary hand soap would affect the Oleophobic Coating, perhaps you know the answer if does or not?

Makes sense the AW wouldn't know if I got it wet. I guess I'm imagining the AW is smarter than it actually is. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.