Got iPhone 3g 2 weeks ago, how should I respond if new phone is announced at WWDC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, May 20, 2009.

1. hasanahmad Suspended

I just got the iphone 3g + ATT 2 weeks ago (80$). how should I respond now if a new phone is announced. what is the best way I can get the phone at a good price. I have heard you can renew your account , is this true?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Go into an :apple: store, throw yourself on the floor and kick, scream, cry in a jealous rage... :p

3. The General macrumors 601

You should respond as if you saw it coming - because everyone knows a new one will be coming out this summer. Everyone and their mothers. It's so obvious. You bought a year-old phone which has a known annual refresh cycle.

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

To be honest, I think you need to go out and get a girlfriend if this is the biggest thing you've got to worry about.

It's a phone, a piece of technology, it's been superseeded before it's even released.

Personally, I would just keep using it, knowing that the average joe isn't going to be able to tell the difference and I would be safe in the knowledge that I have got a very good product that looks the dog's....

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Howling?
    Cursing?
    Serene indifference?
    Learning to check the Buyer's Guide?

Would be intersting to hear the OP's reaction in 3 weeks

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

7. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

what i meant to say is what is the best procedure for getting the new phone, Am I allowed to renew my contract for 2 years?? will I have to pay the ETF even though im staying with ATT on a new account

I have an ATT business account and the guy said i am eligible for an early upgrade option from June 5th, whatever that mean.s

Thanks

i was thinking more like upgrading it to 3.0 OS and selling it on ebay for around 200$ at the LEAST, that would cover the cost of ETF if there is any

8. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

save your money and go return it while you're still in the 30 days. use an old phone, borrow a friends old phone whatever until the new iphone comes out. it'll definitely be announced at WWDC but i'll be very surprised if it comes out around then too... most likely end of June beginning of July

9. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

As I am in the UK I don't know what AT&T did before, however in the UK you aren't allowed to upgrade within that period. You have to wait till the end of that period and then upgrade.

Of course paying to get out is always an option

10. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

no use of that, once i got the iphone. if i return it, i have to pay 599

11. tiguk macrumors 6502

Not true, with the iPhone at least. O2 allowed users on the £35 or £45 tarrifs to upgrade to the iPhone 3G, at a cost of course. It didn't require you 'buying out' the remainder of the contract.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My vote would be "Indifference."

Who cares if a new one is coming out, there's always a new one coming.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you payed the discount price then I assume the june 5th date will be a couple years. Not this coming june 5th. So you can either find a way to return the phone, or pay the ETF, or pay full price for a new phone(if they let you do that) it will be $400 or $500 maybe more. Your best option is keep it. As you will get the software update. That hardware changes will probably be pretty small.

14. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

he specifically said June 5th 2009

he said i have a business account thats why

15. stutzedward macrumors newbie

For me, I dun really care much. I got my 3G early April and up to now, no regrets tho new one is coming out. In fact I am looking forward to it cos I'll be getting another one for my wife.

One note, with the OS 3.0 new features coming, after upgrading the current 3G will not be that far from next-gen iPhone.

16. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Is this a serious thread/question. You should react like a regular human would! Go in the store and complain and let the reps tell you "Sorry but there is nothing we can do" LOL Gosh I'm happy I saved my upgrade over he 3G:)

I'm sick of the point less threads as well.

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That does not sound right. But assuming they are allowing you to sign a new contract even though you just started one then they should give you new hardware I would think. Something sounds wrong though. I would give them a call and ask.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just enjoy your new phone.

19. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

i asked 4 different AT&T guys on the phone and they all checked. my early upgrade starts June 6th, 2009. They said it is because of a system check and because I have a business account not a personal account. By System check they meant inventory update and that gives me the strongest hint AT&T will officially be updating their system with the new iPhones.

they were surprised as well because they said ussually early upgrades are 12-18 months into the contract not just 1 month. so maybe this is a special for the people who got the iphone 3g in the last couple of months.

20. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

"hey i just bought my 2009 accord 20 days ago and the 2010 accord came out today"

As others have said either be patient, or suffer the consequences

21. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Agree. This what happened with me. After i bought 2G, they allowed me to upgrade to 3G sooner than you would expect if you own another phone. Though if the new phone comes, O2 are very likely do the same as last time and give priority for new customers first and then existing customers like me :(

22. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

And you know for 100% certain that they are going to offer this again or are you just guessing that they will because they did before?

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That is because you paid full price for the 2G, so they weren't losing money from letting you upgrade. With the 3G, they subsidized the price, so if they let people buy the new iPhone at 199 and 299 they are losing money.

24. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Haha, +1

25. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Take it back within the return period = easiest and best option