Got my 17" MBP from Amazon...weird experience on what to do in this situation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Texxy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well I got my 17" MBP from Amazon today finally and was very excited. Now before I begin my explanation, you must understand I am a very Anal person when it comes to an item I just paid a great deal for. I expect it in top condition!

So when I received it today the box seemed damaged...almost as if someone had opened it and put it back together in a rush. I took pictures of the box so you could see what I mean, look closely at the top and bottom, you can see creases of something that appears to be bulging:rolleyes::

[​IMG]

So I was curious and decided to open the box. The tape even seemed as though it had been opened and put back on...or it could have just been an air bubble. Look at this picture:

[​IMG]

Well right when I opened it, I see the Macbook sitting in the regular packaging with the half of it sticking up within the box as if it was never put in its right place/came off of the packaging. That is what the bulge was from. The macbook hitting the packaging of the case. I did not take a picture of this (sadly) because I was in shock and wanted to pick it up and see if there was any damage to it right away. Luckily there was no damage at all and I was relieved. I turned it on, it seemed as though it was brand new...it was even in the new packaging (cover-art on front with Milyway) with Lion pre-installed. In my mind I was like "there is no way someone used this and put it back, so perhaps poor packaging?". The 17" MBP with Lion just BARELY starting getting shipped. :confused:

Just wanted to ask what you guys thought of this situation? Anyone else have something similar happen to them? I mean if it works fine should I just keep it and forget about the whole packaging thing? Or should I send it back to Amazon for another one. I know a lot of you will say this topic is very stupid/crazy but I get upset when it comes to stuff like this. You pay top dollar for a product that should not be poorly packaged. :apple:

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I get many products from Amazon that seem like that... I have to this day not understood why. Who knows...

3. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

You mean Various Macbooks? How many of them have come like this exactly? :confused:

4. skasol macrumors 6502

I know I had my 15" MBP exchanged 4 times from apple because I didn't think it was fair to receive a $3000 unit with blemishes or things I wasn't comfortable with.

I say i exchange it. Because if you are anything like me it will bother the heck out of you.

5. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

No, I mean products in general. They look like they've been opened.

6. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I think the Foxconn workers are getting sloppy.

I got my 15" today and the outside of the box was perfect. Though, when I opened it, you could see part of the power cable sticking up because it wasn't seated just right. Then, the little boxy piece of cardboard that covers the power brick was just lying lose in the box.

Sloppy sloppy sloppy.

:(

Edit: Also my battery was on it's third cycle, which I thought was a little unusual.

7. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

How do you check what cycle your batter is on? Also you get yours from amazon as well?

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

iStat, coconut battery, and I think system profiler has that info too.

Yeah, got it delivered from Amazon today.

9. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well which one did you use to figure it out haha? Also are you going to return or keep?

10. SPEEDwithJJ, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I got my 17" MBP from Amazon today as well & it also came with Lion pre-installed. :) However, I'm also not too happy with my how my package arrived. :(

My white MBP box has a tiny dent (circle shaped) on the front. When I opened it up, the black rectangular box thingy holding the documentations are out of its holding place & the little black cardboard covering the power brick is not in its place too. Interestingly enough, there seems to be a very, very small amount of black colored dust in the box as well.

Despite all that, I was generally fine with it though, until I thoroughly inspected my brand new MBP. I found 1 tiny dot (dent) & another slight dent on the bottom of my MBP. Now, I'm just wondering whether I should go request for an exchange or I should just suck it up & keep it. :(

By the way, Texxy, where is your 17" MBP shipped from? Mine is shipped from Goodyear, AZ. Maybe ours happened to be from the same batch? :confused:

11. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Oh I'm keeping this baby. I loves it : ]

I used iStat, but they'll all give the same reading.

12. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

It looks to me like it could also be a compression wrinkle in the box. If in shipping weight was placed on its longest axis, then you could end up with this kind of damage. And with the way the casing is designed in the the center of the box, any compression could pop the laptop out of its little slot. Making it look like the laptop was there originally, and thus causing the bulge. Seems to me either case is possible.

If it where me, I'd return it. No reason to deal with any possible damage you might not see right away.

13. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

I recently received a 13" MBP. It had Lion preinstalled, but the box did look opened. The tape on the top was cut and re-taped, which I assume is from them taking it out to install Lion. So I'm sure many of the current MBPs will look opened due to installing Lion. Previous to that, my Amazon experiences have been pretty good. So this time around, I'd say the blame is probably Foxconn and not Amazon. Also did the MBP come in the plain brown box with the serial number sticker on it? If it did and the seal was good, then I'm 100% positive it'd be an issue with Foxconn and not Amazon.

14. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Well first of all any pictures of your situation? The little black cardboard covering the power brick was out of place on mine too but I just let that slide...dno if that would be anything serious. As for where mine was shipped from, it was Louisville KY so sadly not in the same batch. There is a sticker on the side of one of my boxes that says 8/10/2011 so I figured that's when it was delivered originally.

That is a good theory! I do not know about returning this one because I had to return one other laptop before this to Amazon and I would not want them to ban my account or anything. :(
    Well they cannot take it out of the box and install Lion for you. It does not work like that. If you got Lion installed then it also must come with the Lion box. If yours was indeed clearly open I would return it! READ THIS! http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/28/apples-existing-mac-lines-tweaked-for-os-x-lion/

As far as plain brown box with serial # yes it did come in that box. What would that prove though?

15. srshaw macrumors 6502

If it had lion installed originally it would have a lion box and also they keyboard is slightly different on the f3/f4 keys. Your box looks like mine which had lion preinstalled.

16. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

got my custom 17" AG 2.3ghz macbook pro yesterday and it came in great shape with 2 cycles on it.I wasn't worried as i know these batteries come pre-calibrated (cycled).

17. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

I already knew that...what are you trying to say exactly?
    You purchased from Apple though right? Not amazaon?

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

19. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Chances are you guys purchased a Macbook Pro that was produced before Lion went to GM and became available. This means someone had to open up the packaging, install Lion then put it back.

I had a similar experience a couple of years back with Snow Leopard. If your laptop is fine, I wouldn't worry about it :)

20. Segun macrumors newbie

I received my MBP from Apple yesterday and the box was just like yours. Nothing damaged, i just think they end up like that when in transit.

21. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

I had a similar issue with my older 15" MBP, though I did not order it from Amazon. The Apple box was in a cardboard box and the whole thing looked like someone had shot it with a high-caliber pistol, as there was a hole in both boxes and a large indentation on the bottom of the machine - right on the battery! Needless to say, I didn't even bother turning it on. Brought it to the Apple store; they were very apologetic and blamed the shipping company, who had taken it from an Apple distribution center somewhere oddly close to where I live. Replaced it free and upgraded the processor slightly too.

My replacement, which was brand new, was also not on its first battery cycle. In fact CoconutBattery listed it as being 20 months old when I first turned it on, which I thought was strange. But then again there is a lot of testing involved here. That's normal, apparently,

I'd chalk your issue up to sloppy packaging. Perhaps it was opened at some point before you bought it just to make sure everything was there, as I don't believe they are allowed to open it after it's purchased unless you allow them. Relax a bit, it could be worse!

22. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

I find that hard to believe especially when the F4 key is different. They would have to take it out, install lion, remove the keyboard and whatnot. If that was the case all of the MBPs in my local store would be lion preinstalled versions but they are not.
    :confused:
    Ya most likely bad packaging :eek: I doubt they opened it.

23. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Update...so far the computer is working fine...:eek: *crosses fingers*

24. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the computer has no defects and is working properly.

There are many reasons why the box could look the way it does. The most likely is that before shipping, the warehouse staff open it to verify the contents. For expensive items like a 17" MacBook Pro it would almost be foolish not to. Risking back and forth shipping and refunds due to missing or incorrect items would be costly for Amazon and very inconvenient for the customer.

Apple obsesses over packaging, I'd think it very unlikely that you would see a similar situation with something purchased directly from them. Amazon ships from multiple warehouses and their procedures are not likely to be as stringent as Apple's.

25. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Don't worry about it, and even if something goes wrong, thats what the warranty is for. Seriously, its not a big deal