Got my 2011 mbp today and I am very disappointed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alisiddiq, Mar 10, 2011.

1. alisiddiq macrumors newbie

First of all the packaging was damaged, from the box it looked like someones second hand laptop. Didn't bother about that, and unpacked the laptop to find a slight dent at the bottom, there was also a little scratch on the lid. The power adapter looked used as well. There were scratches on the brick of the adapter and the magnetic bit also had some black marks which were not coming off. The power adapter could be replaced straight away but now i have to wait another 2 weeks for a laptop replacement.

Verry verry disappointed, this was my first mac for which i paid £2500 expecting the best quality laptop and all i got was a laptop full of blemishes. Might ask them to give me a full refund.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Sounds like it got roughed up a lot in shipping. I don't see how you can hold that against Apple, as long as they are reasonably helpful in sorting it out (I'm sure they will be).

The condition of the power adapter seems strange, did it still have all of the plastic wrapping on it? It might also be partly because of the shipping, for the laptop inside to be dented it must have gotten quite a beating on the way from Apple to you.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No need to get so upset about it. Just go to an Apple store and exchange it.

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

A guy from the UK just posted about getting his new MacBook Pro and the keys were falling off the keyboard!! Looks like you aren't the first UK buyer that is having these kind of problems with a damaged unit during shipment.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yeah, shipping companies aren't typically too gentle with stuff during shipping, even if the labels do scream fragile.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

That's your shipper's fault, I sure hope you kept the packaging and documented it with pictures before opening it any further so that apple would make it good for you via the shippers responsibility...

7. iZero macrumors regular

I completely understand how upsetting that has to be. But they'll get you fixed up :) That's no excuse, there's no way to make spending that much money and getting a product that banged up is going to get out of your mind, but Apple will make it right. They'll go out of their way to make it right.

8. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I can see why you're disappointed, but it's not biggie. Take it to an Apple store and I'm sure they'll replace it no questions asked.

9. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Sounds suspicious to me... I just got my new MBP and it was double-boxed in a way that kept the actual MBP box suspended 3/4 of an inch from the walls of the outer box. Additionally, the MBP/inner box was inside a thick plastic wrapper.

Bottom line, despite the outer box having some travel dings, etc... the inner box was well protected and pristine.

Something's not right here.

Mine was BTO, shipped from Shenghai

10. alisiddiq thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

This was bto, i have already waited 2 weeks without laptop and now i ll have to wait an extra 2 weeks. I knw apple will sort it out but it shudnt happen in the first place

11. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Same here. Especially if the power brick was scuffed up. Its almost like someone opened it up and played with it before you did.

12. iZero macrumors regular

It really shouldn't. It's appalling how some FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. employees throw these things around. They'd be pissed if someone did it to their items, but they don't even think about doing it to others'.

13. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Sounds to me like you should get a refund and never buy another Apple product ever again. Go get that HP you've been eyeing up.

Posting your issue on a forum is a sure solution, boy I'll tell ya. You know, SOME people might even go to an actual Apple store and ask them what happened. But you are the kind of person that doesn't have to mess with such trivial time consuming tasks, because you know....this is obviously how Apple intends all of its products to arrive.

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Who was the shipping company?

15. alisiddiq, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011

alisiddiq thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh yh i forgot to mention that the laptop had some dirt on it as well. It was the type of dirt for which finger nails need to be used to take off. I had to use a surface cleaner to clean it properly

UPS

The seal on the box actually did look like it was re-applied

16. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

You live in the UK? Why didn't you purchase it in an apple store or other retailer that sells apple products? There are several to choose from. I never ship anything fragile or electronic. Don't blame apple because of poor shipping quality. Either get it yourself or pay a little more for better shipping.

17. alisiddiq thread starter macrumors newbie

This was a custom order so buying from the store wasnt an option. My previous dells never got damaged in shipping.

18. iZero macrumors regular

If you're trying to say it's Apple's fault, you are way off base... I guarantee you a box doesn't leave the factory in that condition. No way in hell. If it got beat up, it was in shipping, and that just means your previous Dells didn't get handled by a tool that decided it was a good idea to abuse a customer's package loading/unloading a truck...

19. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Thread title needs to be changed, nothing to do with 2011 MBP. Should be called "The shipper screwed my new laptop what now?" In your situation at least you could get Apple to go deal with the shipper.

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

that guy was me, i share your pain, I was told you cant take to your nearest apple store for replacement has to go through apple online!

21. alisiddiq thread starter macrumors newbie

How can you be so sure that it was the delivery company's fault. The scratch on the lid and the dirt on the laptop was definitey there before it left apples factory

22. iZero macrumors regular

As far as I know, you can indeed return an online ordered machine through a store... They may not have an equivalent to give you back as a replacement, but they should be able to give you a refund at the very least... Then you could either buy what's in their stock, or try ordering again...

23. bigjobby macrumors 65816

The OP could not get it from an Apple store as he has already mentioned it was a BTO unit which are only available online.

In the UK, we have no choices on how we want the goods shipped.

I'm sure Apple has various shipping contracts for different countries. Regardless of the companies, its highly probable that there is a standard level of agreed quality that those companies have to adhere to otherwise it would be less likely Apple would use them.

24. iZero macrumors regular

Because it is, period. This isn't uncommon with shipping companies. They damage/destroy products all the time. It's no secret that some employees in sort facilities and trucks, couldn't care less how they treat/handle your items. I got a phone shipped by UPS once that was absolutely crushed. It didn't get sent by HTC that way. It was a result of careless shipping employees. It happens... You either buy in a store, or you roll the dice and try again when the manufacturer offers to send you a replacement.

There's no way it left the factory, basically destroyed. if it had a scratch or two, maybe that slipped past quality control and it got put into a box. But there is no way that a box was utterly destroyed at the factory, and still shipped. Didn't happen. I guess anything is possible but Apple or any other company, I have a hard time believing would ship a product that was utterly, visibly destroyed as it rolled off assembly.

25. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Same experience.. looked like mine was used when it arrived - return it, I did.

I also agree the damage I saw was a result of one of three things..

a) it was in the factory before it shipped
    b) apple's new box design is bad and allows components to touch during shipping.
    c) someone returned it

I've had plenty of stuff shipped fedex/ups and never seen damage like this.. my macbook box was markless - but the machine inside was damaged - that's not shipping company fault imo. Mine also had grime on it.. like someone had a bit of lunch and then used dirty hands handling it... that's very unlikely to be a result of shipping.