got my 3GS today, am i gonna have to rebuy all my apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjoeyjiffy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mrjoeyjiffy macrumors member

I clicked "set up as new iphone" when i activated my new iphone that came in the mail today, and I dont know if that had anything to do with it, but now NONE of my apps are in itunes or my iphone. I tried doing a restore from a backup which still did nothing.

I have tried to re download one of the apps i paid for and it says its going to charge me again, is there anything i can do to get itunes to recognize all the apps ive paid for?

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

You have to restore it again and choose your old iPhone backup, not "set up as new iPhone." That should do it. Good luck!

3. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Re purchase them for free of itunes and sync.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You should just restore from the backup of your previous iPhone and all of your purchased applications should come back.

Apps are tied to the account that purchased them, they are not bound to one single device.

If it worked like that it would be hell any time your iPhone got swapped out for legitimate reasons.

5. njl macrumors regular

are you logged into your itunes account? is your computer activated?

6. rsmith83 macrumors member

I backed up my original iPhone right before I activated the new one, then restored the 3GS from the backup and none of my apps were there.

I went to the App Store and re-downloaded them all manually. For paid apps, I got a message saying, "You have already purchased this app. Would you like to download it again for free?"

So the Restore feature doesn't always put the apps back.

7. mrjoeyjiffy thread starter macrumors member

thats exactly whats happening to me, yes my computer is authorized, i can manually download them for free now. But a restore did not bring my apps back, is there anyway to automatically download all apps you have previously purchased?

8. Blackforge macrumors 6502

After you restore from backup, you need to run a sync which will push back your applications. The restore portion only restores the preferences for all the apps, etc. You will also need to re-sync any video/music/podcasts too.

Edit: If you had done regular syncs with iTunes it should have copied your apps over... if you hadn't.. sorry you have to download them again.

9. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

I don't think there is, sorry man.

10. alm99 macrumors 6502

Not to hyjack this thread, but if I have an iPod Touch and I am getting the iPhone will the applications I purchased transfer over?

11. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

No. I believe you have to download them again. It should be free to do that, but there are reports saying otherwise, like the OP.