Got my 5s but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bigdawg4, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Bigdawg4 macrumors regular

I thought apple said iWorks, Pages and Numbers would be a free app for people that upgraded? I went to the app store after I restoed my phone from a back up I did last nite on my 5. Any ideas?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Should be free downloads from inside the app store. I know when I went to the app store for the first time on my iPhone 5s a window popped up with all the free apps to be downloaded, and you could even select "download all".

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

On another forum someone said it "just" appeared" Have you tried again?

4. Bigdawg4 thread starter macrumors regular

I saw that too but didnt even try as I wanted to come home and restore my new phone before I added any new apps fearing that they would be erased during the restore.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

It's dumb that they only offer it for free to those that purchase a new iPhone. Many people have multiple devices and Apple allows you to share across devices. So why in the world they will not allow you to download for free regardless is beyond me.

I already own all the iOS & OSX versions, so it's no skin off my nose...just a silly policy.

6. Brenz macrumors member

Just checked on my 5s and Numbers was showing as Free in the App Store

7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Maybe you can set the phone as new when activate, use your apple id.
    Maybe then it would pop up to offer the apps for free, you download it, so it will "attach" to your account and just restore the phone from backup.

8. Felder71 macrumors member

The question is:

Once you download it for free, do your other devices see it for free? Can you transfer it back to your iTunes and then sync it on other devices?

9. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Because they aren't doing it for people like you and me. They're doing it to attract non-iOS users who fear having to pay for a productivity suite.

10. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I've already purchased all the Apple apps except for Keynote. So after all is said and done I got one app for free. Regardless, I'm happy.

It's nice to see Apple stepping up here and offering it with all new devices. Funny they don't include the Keynote Remote app which still costs $0.99

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

it's an incentive to get you to upgrade to a newer iOS device.

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

It was strange but I had to sign into the app store, kill it in the multitask switcher, then that didn't work so I had to restart my 5s completely, then when I logged back in the iWork, iLife stuff was free.

13. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

They've done that for years with iLife on the Mac side.

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

In time they will be free to everyone, wait and see.

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Not since the Mac App Store went live!

My point is, any app purchased in the App Store can be used on all your iOS devices. So if I buy a new 5S, and can put this free software on my iTouch. However, those with only an iTouch are SOL. It makes no sense to me that Apple (wanting to prove all Apple devices can create content) would limit this to a product launch.

Again, I have the software already so not an issue. I just think its a strange decision.

16. brendu macrumors 68020

Yep, this is what I think. Especially with googles quick office being free for ALL iOS users.

17. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

I am considering it as a free gift or a small token from Apple. You buy a new iOS device, you get these apps worth £20 (isn) free. You can then download them and use them on all your iOS devices even the older ones. As soon as I clicked on "Download All" on my 5s I opened the App Store on my 5 and my iPad and straight away the showed as a iCloud download free app.

I agree its a strange decision that they made to do this, but really in the end I am great full for getting them, they certainly didn't have to give me them for free. I was buying the new iPhone either way.

18. mindyapple macrumors newbie

just go to app store search iworks you will see

19. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I'm happy for you, I too am glad Apple decided to share these awesome apps for free. I have them and they are really great...I really like how they also can be used cross platform (OSX).

20. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Just had that screen show up on my 5, so I downloaded iPhoto!