Got my Hauppauge HD PVR to work through my Mac! [Thanks EyeTV!] + Updated Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xDeathReaperx, Aug 20, 2010.

1. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

First of here is my new setup:
    [​IMG]

I bought the EyeTV software and it was a charm setting this baby. Took less than 3 minutes to set up the actual PVR to record to your Mac. EyeTV did everything for you. :D Cost $79.99.

Here is a quality test also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0C17XXaXS0

[Looks Epic in 480P WideScreen already] And yes I used default settings and then imported to iMove then exported to Desktop in HD then uploaded to the YouTube from there :D

-James

2. DAPWNER macrumors member

Can it connect wirelessly to your mac or does there have to be a wired connection?

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I've been using EyeTV with my Hauppauge HD PVR & my Dish Network DVR since the EyeTV beta first supported it. It does require a USB 2 connection. I have mine connected to my Mac mini I use as a media center. I just access the mini wirelessly from my iMac so that I don't have cables running across the room.

4. DAPWNER macrumors member

Hmm... It's not possible for me to connect it to my iMac. Perhaps there's another record card that can.

5. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

Of course..NOT. It works via USB 2.0 like a charm. :D

6. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

No Hauppauge is the way to go. Trust me on this dude.

-xDeathReaperx

7. DAPWNER macrumors member

How am I going to get the video onto my Mac then -_-

Could I move the Hauppauge to my mac and do it that way?

8. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

No, the Hauppauge doesn't have any storage capacity.

Depending on how often you want to transfer video, you could do what I used to do before I got the Mac mini. I got a couple of USB extension cables & strung them across the room to connect the PVR to my iMac when I needed it. Certainly not ideal, but it did work.

9. DAPWNER macrumors member

Well, there would be quite a distance between the two. Could I plug in an 8GB thumbdrive and store the video that way?

10. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

No.

You need to PVR connected to a computer that can capture the PVR's output.

I think I something somewhere in the last day or so that allowed wireless transfer of a signal via USB, I think from a Dish DVR using its USB port. I can't easily find it so I suggest you Google for it. You don't want a USB wireless networking device, you want something to actually send data by plugging into the USB port of the PVR & a USB port on your Mac.