Got my i4 the yesterday. What's the best way to maximize my battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alldat, Aug 25, 2010.

1. alldat macrumors regular

The first day I got it, it came out of the box at 75% battery. I didn't charge it until it got down to 5%. Then I fully charged it and used it to 18% today. If I run the battery down and up for a few days will that help me to get a good battery life?

2. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

sooome people are just going to yell at you lol
    go for mr google :)

3. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Maybe once, but not more. The laptops will calibrate the battery by running it to zero. Not sure if the iPhone has the same feature.

If you don't use Bluetooth then go to the settings and turn it off.

If you are browsing the web and have access to WiFi then use that in preference to 3G.

Set the screen brightness at a comfortable level but not as bright as possible.

4. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Calibrate battery and turn off features you dont use.

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Its simple, turn off 3g, bluetooth, and turn down screen brightness and you'll get good battery life, but don't sweat it, the new battery is easily capable of a full days use almost no matter what you throw at it*

Disclaimer: if you play games or stream video for 12 hours straight, that may kill the battery before your day is up.

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

You never get the best battery life straight out of the box. Calibrate it first and things will improve after the first few days.

7. ajax43 macrumors regular

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

If you read the instruction manual you will not find any reference to "calibrating" the battery. It is a urban myth. Just use it and enjoy it and you'll have a great experience.

The owners manual does say that about once a month you want to 'exercise' the battery by running it down to maybe 10% then recharging it, but that is all the maintence needed.

9. adztaylor macrumors 68000

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

That is what I class as calibration, doing this does improve battery life.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So if, as you claim, you'll likely get a full day out of it anyway, why are you suggesting that he turn off 3G and cripple the phone?

What's the point in having a phone that lasts an hour longer if you hate it while you're using it?

11. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I also believe that calibrating an iPhone is something of a myth.
    However, I found that my 3gs really benefitted from frequent charging. I could tell this by comparing it to my wifes. She has a more carefree attitude towards tec stuff. After a few months, mine had the best battery by far. And I charged it almost every night - as I will do my iPhone 4.

P

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Not sure where I got this but whenever I get a new Toy I don't use it until it's fully charged. Then I let it go down to 5-10% before fully charging it.

I'm done afterwards and charge it at night regardless how much battery is left.

13. JulianL macrumors 65816

Huh?

"... but don't sweat it, the new battery is easily capable of a full days use almost no matter what you throw at it".

I read that as saying that you could do all the stuff he suggests to squeeze every last minute out of the battery but "don't sweat it" (translation - don't bother to do it?) ... "full days use" ... "no matter what you throw at it" (translation - it'll last you a full day without needing to do all the stuff he suggested and just leave everything on).

I don't understand why you're having a go at him. The way I read what he wrote, he was saying exactly what you just said.

- Julian

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

15. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Fetch less frequently..

......Yea because everyone wants to check their email every 3hrs, sometimes Apple makes you scratch your head.