Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alldat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
The first day I got it, it came out of the box at 75% battery. I didn't charge it until it got down to 5%. Then I fully charged it and used it to 18% today. If I run the battery down and up for a few days will that help me to get a good battery life?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Maybe once, but not more. The laptops will calibrate the battery by running it to zero. Not sure if the iPhone has the same feature.

If you don't use Bluetooth then go to the settings and turn it off.

If you are browsing the web and have access to WiFi then use that in preference to 3G.

Set the screen brightness at a comfortable level but not as bright as possible.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
Its simple, turn off 3g, bluetooth, and turn down screen brightness and you'll get good battery life, but don't sweat it, the new battery is easily capable of a full days use almost no matter what you throw at it*

Disclaimer: if you play games or stream video for 12 hours straight, that may kill the battery before your day is up.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
You never get the best battery life straight out of the box. Calibrate it first and things will improve after the first few days.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
If you read the instruction manual you will not find any reference to "calibrating" the battery. It is a urban myth. Just use it and enjoy it and you'll have a great experience.

The owners manual does say that about once a month you want to 'exercise' the battery by running it down to maybe 10% then recharging it, but that is all the maintence needed.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
If you read the instruction manual you will not find any reference to "calibrating" the battery. It is a urban myth. Just use it and enjoy it and you'll have a great experience.

The owners manual does say that about once a month you want to 'exercise' the battery by running it down to maybe 10% then recharging it, but that is all the maintence needed.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Apple said:
Use iPhone Regularly
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

That is what I class as calibration, doing this does improve battery life.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Its simple, turn off 3g, bluetooth, and turn down screen brightness and you'll get good battery life, but don't sweat it, the new battery is easily capable of a full days use almost no matter what you throw at it*

So if, as you claim, you'll likely get a full day out of it anyway, why are you suggesting that he turn off 3G and cripple the phone?

What's the point in having a phone that lasts an hour longer if you hate it while you're using it?

Pagga

macrumors 6502
I also believe that calibrating an iPhone is something of a myth.
However, I found that my 3gs really benefitted from frequent charging. I could tell this by comparing it to my wifes. She has a more carefree attitude towards tec stuff. After a few months, mine had the best battery by far. And I charged it almost every night - as I will do my iPhone 4.

P

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not sure where I got this but whenever I get a new Toy I don't use it until it's fully charged. Then I let it go down to 5-10% before fully charging it.

I'm done afterwards and charge it at night regardless how much battery is left.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
So if, as you claim, you'll likely get a full day out of it anyway, why are you suggesting that he turn off 3G and cripple the phone?

What's the point in having a phone that lasts an hour longer if you hate it while you're using it?

Huh?

"... but don't sweat it, the new battery is easily capable of a full days use almost no matter what you throw at it".

I read that as saying that you could do all the stuff he suggests to squeeze every last minute out of the battery but "don't sweat it" (translation - don't bother to do it?) ... "full days use" ... "no matter what you throw at it" (translation - it'll last you a full day without needing to do all the stuff he suggested and just leave everything on).

I don't understand why you're having a go at him. The way I read what he wrote, he was saying exactly what you just said.

- Julian

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Fetch less frequently..

......Yea because everyone wants to check their email every 3hrs, sometimes Apple makes you scratch your head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.