Got my iPad 2 (finally) and I am getting rid of it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PLamarine, Mar 24, 2011.

1. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Bought an iPad 1 2 weeks ago on the cheap from someone who was upgrading to the iPad 2. Well, I bought an iPad 2 and after playing with it for a few hours, I am returning/selling it. Just didn't have enough for me to justify the $829 plus tax. It also does not feel as solid as the iPad 1, and it was not just a weight issue.

Very happy with the iPad 1 (which I am running iMovie, Garageband and Real Racing 2 HD without complaints). Will be easier for me to get the iPad3 since my wife will not freak out.

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You had to jailbreak to run iMovie on it, right?

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

You'll probably make a tidy sum into the bargain.

After much soul-searching, I too have decided that the original iPad is more than sufficient for my needs for now.

4. PLamarine thread starter macrumors 6502

PLamarine

No. I had to run the iPhone configuration on my Mac. Runs great.

5. PurpleSauce macrumors newbie

Op I think that is understandable. If money is tight and you already have an iPad, an iPad 2 is purely a luxury or sorts. It's not like you will be less productive by owning the iPad and not the iPad 2.
    If anything, good for you for having the ability to not have it only because it is the thing.

6. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

I'll alert the media.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

In other news, people always use their wives as excuse to return ipads...

8. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

It's funny you made this decision after a few hours. You must didn't notice the feather-light weight, the improved performance, the fairly infrequent checkerboard loading screens. You couldn't have had the time to shoot and edit a movie, FaceTime with a friend or two, or shoot a few crappy photos.

Some people like inferior hardware - nothing wrong with that.

But you really don't need a 64gig unless you're a power user, even 16gig should suffice.

9. TomCondon macrumors regular

if both were the same price, iPad 2 is just streets ahead, but for someone already with an iPad they don't have anything extraordinary to warrant an upgrade. for someone new to iPad they are great.

But saying it's not as solid is a bit ridiculous.. its just you not being used to it being so light

10. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I agree with u entirely,ipad 2 is not well made feels disposable i bought one and took it back,this is after i sold my ipad 1 16gb wifi to get it,and i just bought a new ipad 1 32gb wifi + 3g for $400,i know 3 people who all bought ipad 2's and have babied them and they are already covered in scratches and dents after normal careful use,the smart cover is a joke,i cannot justify either spending the money on something so cheap feeling and poorly made as the ipad 2,i know the ipad 1 may not be as fast or the latest and greatest but at least it is well constructed and built to last.I mean if people have money to throw away and they just have to have it because it's the "newest" then more power to them but i don't have money to throw away and until apple gets the problems fixed on the ipad 2 and gets better build quality on it i'll pass and stick with my beautiful well constructed ipad 1 while all my friends carry around their scratched and dented light bleeding ipad 2's

11. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

had to LOL at this .. sorry :D

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

I bought iPad 1 on launch, I bought iPad 2 close to launch (stupid inventory problems) and most likely I'll buy iPad 3. I gave my OG iPad to my wife and she loves it :).

I couldn't be happier with my iPad 2. Pretty perfect to me.

13. tbirdman macrumors newbie

What are you doing with the Ipad? Not sure what you expect the Ipad to be made out of to accept your apparent harsh handling. No dents or scrathces on mine.

14. PLamarine, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

PLamarine thread starter macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Ouch. You guys are a tough crowd. Sorry for having an opinion that obviously does not jive with your view of the world.

I guess it is the fact that I just paid $500 2 weeks ago for the iPad1 64gb 3G with Apple case and keyboard included, and the $890 for the new iPad was just not "worth it".

15. PhoneI macrumors 65816

It's so hard for me to use my iPad 1 after using my iPad 2 for awhile. The performance differences are very noticeable. I also have iMovie on my iPad 1 and it just runs poorly compared to the iPad 2.

16. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I question if people who say the ipad2 feels cheap have actually used it or not. What on earth are you talking about, it's nice metal and glass, not the hallmarks of cheap feeling electronics. It probably ways more per cubic inch, but is thin enough that it's still lighter. There's no give/flex.. It's a rock solid device build quality wise. I've used it constantly since day 1 and have 0 scratches or dents.

17. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I have both. Prefer the iPad 2. No scratching or denting here.

19. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I guess it's the fact that your story was probably more suited for a tweet on twitter rather than a post on macrumors.

20. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

i had mine for several days before taking it back and yea it's made out of medal and "thin glass" one of the guys at the apple store told me he had to get his ipd 2 replaced because he was sitting on his couch and using it and it slipped out of the smart cover and hit his wood floor and the screen cracked he said he'd dropped his ipad 1 several times while standing up and never broke the screen and there are several threads on here with people already getting screen cracks on their ipad 2's if that doesn't show construction problems with it i don't know what else does

21. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Use periods once in a while. They are as cool as commas.

22. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

be more careful

I never dropped my ipad 1 or iphone 4 once

:confused:

23. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the issue is not your decision, which makes perfect sense to me, but rather whether it was really worthy of a new topic. :)

If you were going from say a 16GB WiFi iPad 1 that you got cheap to a 16Gb WiFi iPad 2 for $499 it might very well be worth it, but since you went top of the line in both cases that's a huge upgrade cost.

24. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

There are some good deals out there for the iPad 1 from AT&T and Verizon but I am holding steady waiting for my iPad 2 apparently configured as yours is.
    PAD WI-FI 3G 64GB BLACK-USA
    Ships: Apr 1
    Delivers Apr 6 by Standard Shipping
    Part Number: MC775LL/A​
    The reason for my resolve is that Apple only agrees to support devices through iOS updates for 3 years; one is already gone from iPad 1. This means Apple is not obligated to make iOS updates that are backwards compatible to the iPad 1 beyond 2013. I think the extra year of iOS updates (2014) with faster performance and more features now is worth the additional cost. I already have an iPhone that cannot run the current iOS that will be replaced when the iPhone 5 arrives. The years pass quickly.

Should be here a week from next Wednesday. :eek: (Trying to remain calm.)

25. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

i didn't drop mine,never had was told by someone else about theirs.Doesn't anyone around here even read the complete post?