Got My iPhone 4S - Experiences @ The Apple Store Among Other Things

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Power Ranger, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Power Ranger macrumors member

Hi all, I just bought my black iPhone 4S 16GB yesterday, here are some thoughts & experiences.

Its been a whole month ordeal for me as I swayed back and forth between the Samsung Galaxy S2 & the iPhone 4S. In the end I chose the 4S because for the main part, I could use it with one hand (I have small hands). :cool:

First, the purchasing part. I "Reserved" an officially Unlocked White 16GB at the NY 5th Ave. store for pickup btw. 5PM - 6PM next day. I got to the store at about 4PM, and was on line for 30+ minutes. When it was my turn, the "line manager" fiddled around on his iPad...and apparently something was wrong. He didn't really say anything to me, but I overheard him tell the clerk that's to help me something along the lines of, "just get an unlocked AT&T one...". I prayed I overheard wrong so I went along with it.

Another 10 minutes go by, and the clerk comes back with an iPhone box, and proceeds to explain to me they're out of "officially" unlocked ones, but they can offer me this AT&T one which they'll unlock for me. That was not what I wanted to hear.

After a bit of calm conversing, the clerk went and go a manager. The manager was very nice and apologized for their "screw up". Basically he said, some how, someone, was able to walk away with MY "reserved" phone. The other clerk also admitted it was "mind boggling" how this happen(s)...yes, its happened before & hasn't stopped. The manager offered to give me a free case for the mess up, but all I wanted was an officially unlocked phone and not extorting them for freebies. Then the manager said if I'd be willing to take a black model. I said yes, and after 5 minutes he comes back with an officially unlocked BLACK phone. The receipt states officially unlocked. I walked away happy. :D

I got home, and was immediately struck by the "yellowish" screen. I compared with my iPod 1st Gen, iPhone 3GS, and my father's iPhone 4S & iPad 2. My phone's screen was the most "yellow"; my father's a bit less so, and the 3GS the most "normal", for what it's worth. But to be honest, I quite like the warm color tint, as does my wife. Other than that, I did not see any stuck/dead pixels or any dark blotches exhibited by the screen.

Battery life so far seems to be on par with my 2 year 3GS, which is somewhat disappointing, but I'm optimistic Apple will fix it in the near future. Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better, ha! :(

Anywho, I'm really enjoying this phone. The retina display is gorgeous, I prefer it over the Galaxy S2's SAMOLED. The phone's ultra responsive, the OS is familiar. And to top it off, mine came with a SIM eject pin! ;)

Now I'm looking to buy a White 4S for the misses. Hopefully my "reservation" actually reserves something this time!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

May I ask what your reservations were about getting an unlocked AT&T phone? In other words, why did it matter to you if it came out of the box unlocked or if they unlocked it for you after the fact?

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I've heard, but can't confirm, that the "yellow" screen issue is less common on white iPhones for some reason. Perhaps it is just less noticeable. In any case, the unlocked AT&T version would also have stayed unlocked, though it is nice at resale time having a receipt that actually says "unlocked" on it.

4. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

I know they're technically the same. Its just that "I" feel more comfortable with an "official" unlocked one. I spent 5 days trying to reserve one, and after finally getting one on reserve, it was what I expected when I went for pickup. If I wanted an unlocked "AT&T" one, I could have gotten it much more quickly. Also as KPOM pointed out, when reselling comes up, it'll be nice to show the buyer they receipt stating officially unlocked. Its just a personal thing.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Fair enough. That's why I asked. So then, why did you walk away unhappy? Why not ask for an officially unlocked one? Did they refuse to take care of you?

6. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

What is the point of an unlocked iPhone if you can't use it with anyone but a GSM-based carrier (only AT&T) anyway? It's not like you can take it to Verizon or Sprint... So in the end you just buy a more expensive phone and while you're not locked into a contract, you're still paying the same amount every month compared to someone with a contract.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Some people travel internationally. Some may want to use T-mobile.

Me personally? I bought an officially unlocked one because I didn't want to extend my contract, and figured I may as well get an unlocked one if I'm going to pay full price. Resale of unlocked phones is significantly better than AT&T locked phones.

8. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

So you didn't get a White AT&T iPhone that they would unlock for you on the spot, so you settled for a Black one?
    Either way, you left the store with something you didn't go in to buy.

But whatever, to each his own... logic.

9. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I don't know if AT&T will unlock the SIM for international use, but I know that Sprint will if you're a customer in good standing (read: you pay your bill on time.)

10. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

I did walk away happy, because they did find me an official unlocked one, except in Black...which I needed as well (White for the misses, Black for me). I wanted to reserve both, but was only quick enough for the White one. So in the end, my plans basically got switched up, but all the same in the end. :)

Well, I didn't exactly "settle" for a Black one since I was going to get a Black one anyway. So it worked out OK in my case. :cool:

Also my work requires me to travel constantly. I'm basically out of the country half the year, so unlocked is necessary.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AT&T will not, sadly.

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Cool story, what else happened in your day that may interest us?

13. KPOM macrumors G5

True. I work with some colleagues from overseas. Because of this policy, and because Sprint and Verizon will at least unlock the SIM slot for non-US SIMs, I am recommending that they consider the Sprint and Verizon phones (which seems counterintuitive since they are CDMA) if they intend to take their phones back with them to Europe.

14. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Good story, OP. Some prefer yellow or blue tinted screens.

As for DroidRules, you have a troll username. You are always rude and annoying on here. As for your signature, nobody cares about your opinion on your opinion about other peoples signatures.

www.androidforums.com Have fun.

15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

AT&T was going to unlock it for you...

And you were going to get a black one? Then why does your original post say that you reserved a white one?

16. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Heheh, yes I see now that my OP is a bit confusing. I probably should have stated that I intended to reserve 2 phones, 1 black & 1 white, but was only fast enough to get the white one on reserve. As for Apple unlocking the AT&T phone for me, like I said, its a personal thing I guess. :cool:

17. DroidRules macrumors 65816

LoL.... You ok? Need a hug or tissue? I said it was interesting and asked if he had any more info to share, sorry you're so upset over my postings. Maybe you should block me or something.

Ahhh the name. It's kinda a joke but you wouldn't understand. As for as my signature it's the truth and have had people agree with me in threads and through PM. So thanks for playing and have a great day.

Now we have a clearer picture of the situation... This now is a complete story. Hope you enjoy your new phone and hope things go smoother with the wife's res.

18. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Another user who probably does not have a passport and does not know there is a world outside the US the where we may sometimes take out phones and use other carriers with a local sim.

19. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Not sure I understand your flame. I have a passport. As for the phones, like I said above, you can get a Verizon or Sprint based iPhone and they will unlock it for international use (Non-US SIM Cards).

I'm not sure if you're familiar with pricing here in the US, but there's no incentive to getting a contracted phone or unlocked phone here. The carriers charge the same price regardless of your contract status. They subsidize the cost of the phones by usually $350 and usually charge you an early termination fee (prorated) of the same amount if you cancel your contract within 24 months.

So, you can get the iPhone on Sprint, have them unlock the international sim, and you can use it abroad as you'd mentioned.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Some of us don't want to use Sprint though. I currently have AT&T and don't intend to switch any time soon. I get decent coverage most places, and I much prefer the data speed.

It's only a $400 difference anyway. I would much rather just spend the extra money than go through the hassle of switching carriers and dealing with lower speeds.