Got my iPhone 5 but activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean-G, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sean-G macrumors newbie

Got my iPhone 5 but was able to get the discounted price cause a line on my account was elegiable not the line I use so I'm gonna just put the iPhone 5 on my line. Do I really have to go into the store to do this, or can I make the switch at home?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One simple phone call to your carrier is all it takes. Request an "Upgrade Swap" & you'll be done in ten minutes. Simple.

3. Sean-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So no I don't need to switch sim cards or whatever?

----------

Also it's a line that's never ever used

4. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

You won't be able to switch SIM cards with the iPhone 5 as it takes a "nano" SIM.

5. Sean-G thread starter macrumors newbie

Either way.. I'm not switching sims cause the line I bought the iPhone 5 on is a line no one in my family uses. So will it matter then? Can I just activate the iPhone 5 when I get it?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone has mentioned this but call your carrier ... just call them.

7. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Here is the official AT&T procedure (at least as it was for the 4s.)

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411462#fbid=gbxIhlQxpVk

My phone number is not eligible for an upgrade, but another line on my account is. Can I use it to upgrade my phone to iPhone 4S?

Yes, you can use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device. To take advantage of this, upgrade the line that is eligible. When your device arrives, follow these simple steps and an AT&T representative will help you activate.

Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
    At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Different SIM cards, you'll have to go to a store to make the switch.

9. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Not true. You can call in prior to connecting to iTunes.

10. Sean-G thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im not sure why i would need a new sim card direct from a store, i figure they can just change it over the phone, that would just seem redundant if i had to go into the store, especially if in theory theres no phone on the "dummy" line

11. ChristianJapan, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

iPhone 5 ? you got one ? how ? or just preordered ? did I missed something or slept one week ?