Got my iPhone 6 screen replaced at Genius Bar today, but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatJohann, Nov 4, 2014.

1. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

Just had my iPhone 6 screen replaced at the genius bar (just the screen not the display), and I notice that the upper half of the screen is now yellow-ish. Genius bar told me it was glue that's not yet cured because they had just replaced the screen 40 min ago and that it will disappear over time.

Can anyone confirm that this is from the glue at the genius bar? not some additional new defect? I've read the uncured glue comment is a myth.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not sure why it matters?

If it goes away in a couple or few days then they were right and you're good.

If it doesn't go away, you go back and have them replace the defective screen they installed.

There have been yellow-screen-glue-curing posts at every release for years, they always seem to dry up after production catches up and folks aren't getting freshly built screens. (or at least thats my perception, could be wrong) So perhaps it is a myth, or perhaps there's truth to it. Not sure there's any concrete evidence either way.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Honest to goodness my iPhone 5 had a yellowish screen and it did go away after a few weeks. I used my wife's 5 as a comparison after realizing I couldn't secretly switch phones. ;)

It's supported for a year without AppleCare so I'd say give it some time. But if you can't then try a Genius appt. and see what happens. Also, it's been my experience that telephone support is more "generous" when it comes to problems.

Or enjoy your built in f.lux! :D

4. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 65816

thatJohann

Thanks for your comments. Can I get telephone support even if I don't have applecare+ ?

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Do genius staff now laminate in store? I doubt it! It's a full change or nothing.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

They are making a fool of you ... its a full assembly so the only part they "may" glue is on corners ... the screen itself from assembly may have the glue issue, nothing to do with what they did in the store ...

And if its prominent , then it will always be there ....!!!

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, you have one year of support from the purchase but it doesn't have as much coverage as AppleCare+ iirc. For a defect like you describe you shouldn't need AC+.

8. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Even Apple themselves perpetuate the glue myth? Hahaha oh wow.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Don't spread misinformation that you don't know about.

There have reports of this issue for years with almost every new iPhone release. There's no reason to fear-monger.

Besides, the replace tm screen itself is newly manufactured as well, so how do you know it isn't still curing?

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Was it done "in" the Apple store or the kiosk right outside of the Apple store?

I thought they always swap phones "in" the store.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

For my 5 or 5s (the one and only screen I've broken), in store they started with replacements only but then later were able to replace the screen. They gave me the option and I took a replacement phone because it was much faster (obviously). What I didn't know at the time was that the replacement had newer guts and worked on more networks than the launch day phone I broke so it was worth more at resell.

12. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Please read again ... I already mentioned the issue might be the "glue from assembly and not the store"

No misinformation here ....