Got my MacBook Pro yesterday, couple questions. Experts take the chance!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EnvyV07, Jun 14, 2008.

1. EnvyV07 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I received my brand new MacBook Pro yesterday. This is my FIRST Mac and I am very pleased with it. It is extremely fast and works the way I want it to. And I want it to continue to do so for a long time.

I have some questions for those who have owned a macbook for a long time. Or rather, anything apple notebook. Not sure the names are...

But here are the questions.

How long have you owned a single notebook and when was it in need for a replacement? Because it was starting to become faulty?

How long should one keep their notebook on?
    I am a power user and I work on my websites, blogs, always online. Watch movies, etc. So, I would like to know.

Is it good to keep it plugged in? What should one do to keep the laptops battery life optimal?

Have you ever had pixel lines coming down the screen? I did with my ex-laptop, HP Pavilion zd8000.

If you can answer those, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    EnvyV07

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations. Hope you love it!

My first Mac may have been a special case but nonetheless: 3 Months; case warped and after the store refused to fix it, I complained to corporate and they replaced my computer.

I only restart if I have updates that require it; otherwise I just sleep it only.

I use about a cycle a day and my health is very good; it's not to say you should intentionally use it agressively; I do it because I need to; if you choose to use it plugged in, every monthc calibrate the battery by fully discharging the battery (until it forces sleep) and recharge it to full (you can use it while you do this, just try not to disconnect it before you fully charge it).

Nope; if your computer does that and you can duplicate it at will then Apple will replace it; if you find it during the 14-day return/exchange period, Apple will replace it.

3. EnvyV07 thread starter macrumors member

...This forum needs a quickpost plugin...

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Also, more questions.

Is it safe to use magsafe (the power adapter if I am right) only and take the battery out? So it don't affect the battery?

Thanks.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I used an hp zd7000 day-in and day-out for two years as my only machine. I'd just put it to sleep every night. And yes, I did pull the battery when it was just sitting on my desk for weeks at a time (it was connected to a UPS).

I just bought an MBP as my new only machine (till the Nehalem Mac Pro's come out). For the time being, I am leaving the battery pack in, but I'll likely pull it down the road. I also just put it to sleep at night. I expect to use this machine a minimum of three years.

5. EnvyV07 thread starter macrumors member

Do you recommend I take my battery out and just let it sit out and use my power adapter for the time being until classes start?

Thanks.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, the risk is if something happens you have that big open hole in the bottom of your computer where important stuff is stored. Keep your battery in, shut your computer off once a week at most, drain your battery completely, use CoconutBattery if you need help and want really detailed information.

7. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, if you take out the battery, it reduces the processor speed quite a bit. If this is OK with you, go ahead. I'm not sure of the exact amount it's reduced, maybe it's just one of the cores, I don't know though. Here's the Apple Support link just so you know I'm not BSing you. :)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

8. Eric. macrumors regular

I was also curious about leaving the battery in and on AC power for extended periods of time. So as long as you keep calibrating the battery its alright to leave a MBP on AC power for the better part of a day? I blame the death of my Dell's battery on leaving it on AC almost all of the time.

9. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

I have been a great believer that computers including laptops last much longer if left power on all the time (except when you are relocating) and then usually just put them to sleep. I have had some machines go for many months with out being rebooted (including laptops).

The thought process is that the early failure of many machines is brought on by the temperature cycling caused by power them down when not in use. The theory is the expansion and contraction caused by heat and cooling eventually causes circuits paths (traces on the printed circuit boards) to go open.

Laptops should be used as laptops frequently, meaning the battery should be used and cycled. If you are using a laptop as a desktop then it does not really matter about your battery life. If battery life is important, use the battery and most will last a remarkable long time.

Now GREEN is the "in-thing" and leaving un-used gear power on is being frowned upon. But that is another topic.

Neil.

10. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I've read that you can improve battery life by leaving it out, but after seeing that the MBP will throttle the CPU, I'll leave it in. If it shortens the life it shortens the life - that is what I have AppleCare for. :cool:

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

You should never have to take the battery out. Stop looking at numbers, battery cycles, etc... Use it as it should be. Plug it in, charge it up, run it until it gets low, and charge it up again. I do this and get 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours on each charge. Who cares about charge cycles. As long as it performs, and it does, I am happy.